All reviews lovely old hotel recommend this hotel rooms are comfortable walking distance short stay lekker boardwalk
Reviewed 8 March 2017 via mobile

Third time stayed at this unpretentious but comfortable and tidy hotel. If you want silver service go elsewhere. Great reception at checkin. Rooms immaculate as always and so cosy after a day on a plane. Bar service good and restaurant good wholesome food. Want michelin star stuff? Go elsewhere. Top notch base for the city and local area.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank PhilWhitworth
Reviewed 2 March 2017

Visited for one night with my son and its honestly a great location for families. So much to do within walking distance - beaches, bayworld & Museum, Stunning swimming pool with water slides. Really a great base for a weekend away.
Very regal old lady with all the "charms" that come with that fact.

Thanks to all at the Humewood for the fantastic treat.

Room Tip: ask for sea facing
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 February 2017 via mobile

After a long day from our little piece of paradise we finally checked in just after 17h00 pax all happy were able to go for a walk along the boulevard, some went out for dinner first time that they have the choice! half of the group having a great dinner at the hotel. Rooms are good value for money good service. A really good hotel for your stay over on your way up or down the Famed Garden Route

Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephen M
Reviewed 4 February 2017

In any coastal city that attracts tourists this hotel would be upmarket and service orientated, taking full advantage of its great location, but in this case it's quite the opposite. The building is old and needs a face-lift; the rooms are very large but a bit sad; but the worst aspect is the attitude of the manageress and general manager. Quite gobsmackingly poor in fact.
I arrived with a large group of tourists and check-in was reasonably ok although a more streamlined system would be easy enough to implement (making 35 people each sign a document at one table and then go to the desk to fetch their keys doesn't make much sense - other hotels have better systems).

We asked for the wifi password and were told there is no wifi. On questioning this, we were told it is 'down' and has been so for the past 2 days. No details of 'down' were given. My group was unhappy but they all left to go to their rooms. While I was still at the front desk another guest arrived, asked for help with wifi on his phone, and was shown what to do ... off he went, happily using wifi! I was stunned and asked why we were told there was none available. Reply from the disinterested manageress was that it is 'not working very well but does sometimes work'. I was livid and asked why we were not told this while everyone was still around, and why we were not given the option of at least trying. No reaction except to repeat herself. I started to lose my cool because now all my clients were gone and I would have to go and tell each and every one of them that they can still try. No reaction, no offer to assist - the manageress actually walked away and went to stand in the street to admire someone's motorbike!
I asked for the wifi password. Turns out they give each person a different voucher number ... but they didn't have enough vouchers printed for my entire group. I took what they had and was told the voucher number isn't printed properly, needs to be punched in without one of the characters shown on the voucher ... more complications, especially awkward for foreigners. I was told they would print more vouchers asap ... this they did, with the same extra, unneeded, character as on all the others. Basically, slapdash incompetence.

Eventually, I tried to reach my own room ... couldn't find it for ages because it is NOT where it is supposed to be according to the signs on the relevant floor outside the lift. Apparently staff have requested management several times to correct the sign but they don't do it.
Throughout all this, the manageress was completely disinterested and just left it to her front-desk staff to deal with everything.

The next morning I encountered the GM in the breakfast room (after he had ignored me when I asked the front desk to tell him I would like a chat) and related the poor service of the day before. All I received were excuses, disguised as reasons. In South Africa we understand that wifi is a problem sometimes, really we do, so it's not the lack of wifi that we were unhappy about, it is the poor attitude of management and the complete disinterest in trying to resolve issues.

The front-desk gentleman who was trying his best to deliver decent services, despite being hampered by his manager at every turn, was Johnathan - a wonderful chap who deserves to be in a position of management, and preferably in a better establishment.
Restaurant staff and porters were lovely, friendly, helpful. Basically, all staff are being let down by poor management.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank FrancoiseArmour
Reviewed 28 January 2017 via mobile

The first impression I got of the hotel was the uncooperative front desk lady, when I checked in at 1430 hrs on 27 Jan '17. Since I had missed lunch while travelling, I requested if lunch was possible. She told me categorically that lunch was CLOSED. I requested just a sandwich, but I was told as one speaks to a retard that ' lunch was CLOSED!' So much for the hospitality.

Otherwise, the rooms are clean and well appointed. Breakfast buffet is excellent with a large variety. Dinner buffet by contrast has just a few items. Maintenance staff is unavailable after 4 pm. The location of the hotel is good, with a sea view, and a short walk to the beach.

A small beachfront hotel, where the frontoffice should hone their hospitality skills.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo