“Fresh baked!”
Review of A Rogue's Garden

A Rogue's Garden
Ranked #5 of 32 Restaurants in Valdez
Description: Natural & specialty grocery store, kitchenwares, books, supplements, and cafe featuring organic coffees, smoothies, and lunch served Tuesday - Friday.
Reviewed 20 July 2017

Love this place! Fresh baked bagels, breakfast breads, interesting sandwich combos for lunch, great coffee. It's small but welcoming & the staff very helpful & friendly. The store is a good place to shop for organic ingredients & items for the kitchen.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Consistently good coffee, nice variety of light fare, love their lunches (although a bit pricey), appreciate their willingness to work with food allergies

Kathy N, Owner at A Rogue's Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Thanks for your feedback. It's important to us to hear how the experience is on the "other side" of the counter!

Reviewed 5 January 2017

Everytime I have been here I have gotten excellent service and they carry so many healthy products in there store. Among other things.

Kathy N, Owner at A Rogue's Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2017

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate it very much!

Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

Beats Starbucks. Best espresso in the world. Best delicious baked goods. Friendly owners and staff. Excellent selection of health beauty and nutritional foods.

Reviewed 22 September 2016

Stopped in for lunch before heading over to McCarthy. Decided to eat here as it was the only place rated decently in Valdez. Go in and there are 5 employees not really doing anything, but none of them address us. Okay...

After standing there for 5 or so minutes, we finally ask one girl if this is where we order, and then she walks us over to these small strips of paper and tells us that the process is to fill one out and give it to her. So, what I want isn't even on that strip of paper - I just wanted a toasted bagel with butter and cream cheese, so she ends up having to actually take my order, anyway, while my husband was forced to check the box next to the bowl of soup option, and give her the piece of paper.

Extremely lame process - was this supposed to be some kind of cool thing? Because there are 5 employees doing nothing (obviously over-staffed) and it would be WAY faster to just address us when we come in and take our order.

So, we sit at the bar behind the coffee machine to wait, and then one of the staff asks if we'd like to order. What?! 5 feet away, we just gave our order, while she was standing there. Good grief.

I watch them put the bagel through the toaster machine, and then the person who takes it out is confused as to who to give it to (because again, everyone standing around, but no one paying attention). I get it and the butter is rock hard cold (pet peeve!), and the bagel is barely toasted. I should have asked them to put it through the machine again, but I didn't, as they weren't asking me if I needed anything else. So I attempt to warm the butter up on the barely warm bagel, and then give up, and take a bite, and this is NOT a bagel at all! This is some really DENSE bread in the shape of a bagel. *Sigh* At least the bread tasted decent, but I'm not a fan of dense bread. The homemade(?) strawberry creamcheese was good, so that was the saving grace of this disaster.

My husband's soup was good. Don't rememer the flavor, as it was unremarkable (this was 2 weeks ago - I should remember if it was good), but I remember it was decent. It came with a different version of dense bread to go with it.

Overall, extremely unimpressed. Would not go back, nor recommend anyone else to go through the hassle of attempting to even order here.

Kathy N, Owner at A Rogue's Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2016

Thank you for your observation and input. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff. Customer service and quality goods are our top priority, and it hurts to know we failed to deliver that to a visitor to our town.

Been to A Rogue's Garden? Share your experiences!