“Extremely poor customer service, mediocre food.”
Review of A Rogue's Garden

A Rogue's Garden
Ranked #6 of 31 Restaurants in Valdez
Description: Natural & specialty grocery store, kitchenwares, books, supplements, and cafe featuring organic coffees, smoothies, and lunch served Tuesday - Friday.
Reviewed 22 September 2016

Stopped in for lunch before heading over to McCarthy. Decided to eat here as it was the only place rated decently in Valdez. Go in and there are 5 employees not really doing anything, but none of them address us. Okay...

After standing there for 5 or so minutes, we finally ask one girl if this is where we order, and then she walks us over to these small strips of paper and tells us that the process is to fill one out and give it to her. So, what I want isn't even on that strip of paper - I just wanted a toasted bagel with butter and cream cheese, so she ends up having to actually take my order, anyway, while my husband was forced to check the box next to the bowl of soup option, and give her the piece of paper.

Extremely lame process - was this supposed to be some kind of cool thing? Because there are 5 employees doing nothing (obviously over-staffed) and it would be WAY faster to just address us when we come in and take our order.

So, we sit at the bar behind the coffee machine to wait, and then one of the staff asks if we'd like to order. What?! 5 feet away, we just gave our order, while she was standing there. Good grief.

I watch them put the bagel through the toaster machine, and then the person who takes it out is confused as to who to give it to (because again, everyone standing around, but no one paying attention). I get it and the butter is rock hard cold (pet peeve!), and the bagel is barely toasted. I should have asked them to put it through the machine again, but I didn't, as they weren't asking me if I needed anything else. So I attempt to warm the butter up on the barely warm bagel, and then give up, and take a bite, and this is NOT a bagel at all! This is some really DENSE bread in the shape of a bagel. *Sigh* At least the bread tasted decent, but I'm not a fan of dense bread. The homemade(?) strawberry creamcheese was good, so that was the saving grace of this disaster.

My husband's soup was good. Don't rememer the flavor, as it was unremarkable (this was 2 weeks ago - I should remember if it was good), but I remember it was decent. It came with a different version of dense bread to go with it.

Overall, extremely unimpressed. Would not go back, nor recommend anyone else to go through the hassle of attempting to even order here.

Kathy N, Owner at A Rogue's Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2016

Thank you for your observation and input. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff. Customer service and quality goods are our top priority, and it hurts to know we failed to deliver that to a visitor to our town.

Reviewed 19 August 2016

If you are looking for healthy food in to prepare while visiting Valdez, this is the place you will want to stop. They serve good sandwiches, soup, coffee/espresso and excellent desserts. Their cookies are the best! They also carry higher end cooking supply items such as pots and pans and various cookware. Recommended for the healthier shoppers that visit Valdez.

Reviewed 18 July 2016

We went here every morning of our trip for tea/coffee and bagels and danishes. Everything is prepared fresh, the beverages were delightfully hot. The staff is helpful and friendly. Lots of locals go here, its fun to find out what's going on in town from them. Be sure to checkout the artwork on the walls, it's all for sale.

Reviewed 6 July 2016

We didn't eat here, but enjoyed walking around to see the unique ingredients and items they had to offer....something we didn't expect to find in Valdez....organic, gluten free items, etc.

Reviewed 2 July 2016

Rogue's Garden is the only coffee shop with table seating in Valdez. They also serve delicious healthy made to order lunches. Pick up organics, gluten free, dairy free, bulk foods and all other manner of health food store staples like supplements, homeopathic remedies and even and kitchenware.

1  Thank Lee H

Been to A Rogue's Garden? Share your experiences!