“Now I wasn't expecting that!”
Review of Royal Oak

Royal Oak
Ranked #12 of 22 Restaurants in Newport
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 12 August 2018

In need of food and we really did want something to eat NOW!

The place is clean, the welcome was warm. We were handed two menus and at first glance our thoughts were that it seemed a bit pricey. Anyway, our need for something to eat was immediate so we stayed and ordered. We only asked for a couple of items from the more snacks menu. When the food did come, quite promptly we were very pleasantly surprised. The presentation was to a very high standard and the portion sizes were more than generous without being over faced by too much.

This place deserves your custom. Great food, a very good selection of beers and spirits and a great place to eat with very good service. We will have no problems in eating here again, it will be as this visit was, a pleasure.

Thank you to all the The Royal Oak, thank you very much indeed.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 11 August 2018

We were told to go to Royal Oak by the manageress of 'Blas at Fronlas' just round the corner in Newport, as it was a little too late that Saturday afternoon for Blas to serve a meal.
On arrival, we were disappointed to find out we'd be sitting outside on a hard picnic bench on a rather cold & drizzly day. This was because we had our little dog with us & Royal Oak only allow guide dogs inside.
I chose the garlic mushrooms & smoked salmon starters instead of a main course & my husband ordered the pasta bake.
My husband says the inside of the pub was quiet when he went in to make the order, just a few people drinking & talking. There was a television on. He believes he did tell them we were outside because we had a dog, (as in - we weren't out there for the fun of it!)
We then waited....& waited ......& waited ......& after we'd finished waiting - we waited some more.
I couldn't say exactly how long we waited as I'm not in the habit of timing people & haven't worn a watch in decades. However, I'd estimate it was fifteen to twenty minutes at the very least before a waitress arrived with a cheap metal plate bearing cheap looking condiments, mainly in sachets. It looked like something you'd find on the counter of a burger van. I picked up the cheap, flimsy serviette & tried to tuck it somewhere on my person where it wouldn't blow away. It looked like something that would be more at home wrapped round a hot dog at the fairground.
I was not impressed. Royal Oak charge £22.95 for their seafood platter!
We then waited ... & waited.... hoping something would happen. We waited another five or ten minutes & then something did happen - a man came out & lit a cigarette & we could smell it from where we were sitting.
That did it for me. I was sick of being treated like trash by Royal Oak just because I had a dog with me. I was so angry I got up & left even though we'd already paid. Judging by other reviews I've read concerning Royal Oak, it wouldn't have done any good complaining anyway.
I can well understand why they charge up front when people are ordering. If I treated people that way, I'd want to pocket the money first, too!
On the way back to the car, I made a point of letting the manageress of 'Blas at Fronlas' know what Royal Oak was like. She said she didn't realise dogs weren't allowed there (dogs are made very welcome in 'Blas'). She seemed quite shocked when she realised that other than the short walk there & back plus the ordering time, we'd spent the entire time since she'd last seen us just waiting for food. She apologised for the bad time we'd had even though she hadn't done anything!
We drove around & eventually ended up at the Ferry Inn in St.Dogmaels (which I've also reviewed). Their sign outside says something like 'Families, dogs & muddy boots welcome'. They were wonderful - seated us inside at very short notice despite being so busy & even gave Kiki a titbit of steak! They couldn't have been more different from Royal Oak!
I'll certainly make sure to tell people about both establishments.

Date of visit: August 2018
3  Thank tpc455
Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

Had the best king prawn korma here . Sat in the friendly bar area ( there is a small restaurant upstairs). A nice glass of wine with a good atmosphere- would definitely go back

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 22 July 2018

Had a sit-down fish and chip supper and it exceeded our expectations. Lovely, thin, crispy batter and beautifully cooked fish. Even the chips were good. And the peas. Will try a take-away the next time.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

The standard of the accommodation, the quality of the food and the attitude of the staff really surprised us. However seeing how it is popular with the locals confirmed that we had made a good choice. Even though Newport boasts only a few local attractions it is close to other towns where there are many. The walk along the estuary is very nice though. West Wales is where you would go for a surprising fresh break.

Date of visit: May 2018