“Affordable Good Food is a Reality in Timaru”

TGB Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 80 Restaurants in Timaru
Price range: US$3 - US$23
Cuisines: European, Healthy, Bar, New Zealand
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: TGB (Gastropub) is located in historical building with dramatic high ceilings, nostalgic exposed brick and modern touches. It's been operating since 1875 for obvious reasons: southern hospitality with exceptional food and drinks. Our food grub is no-nonsense yummy and generous. Come on down, and chow down with the food. You'd be so glad you did!!
Reviewed 11 November 2017

While staying in the hotel, we dined on the Saturday night. I chose the 'small' ($14.99) Southern Comfort Fried Chicken with fries, salad & apricot sauce. It was a very good serving, so I was glad I didn't choose the large ($18.99)!! I got two large boneless chicken thighs that were marinated in buttermilk & then coated in the most deliciously crunchy topping. Yum!! Hubby chose the large Roast of the Day (Beef) at $18.99. He got a very good helping of roast beef, roast vege & a delicious homemade gravy, but in comparison, a very small serving of peas - probably less than a tablespoon. I had a taste of the beef & gravy & it was delicious & tender. The only thing we both thought was odd, was that the beef & gravy was served on top of the roast veges, which made them go soggy. In our opinion, the roast meat should be served 'beside' the vegetables. We did convey this to the waitress & she agreed. Next day, we had a wedding to go to in the afternoon, so decided to have lunch there. I chose the special of the Day, which was Beef Bourguignonne & mashed potatoes. Hubby chose the Button Mushroom Melt. Every single dish on the quite extensive lunch menu was just $12.00!! An absolute bargain - I believe you would be hard pushed to find a meal anywhere in NZ at such a reasonable price. My dish was so big, I couldn't finish it. The potatoes were deliciously creamy & smooth, the beef & vegetables so tender & the flavour was gorgeous. I didn't try hubbies meal as I was too full. The offer at the restaurant was $12 for a main only or $15 for any main plus dessert, which was Apple Pie. Hubby ordered that, but by the time he ate his meal & finished mine, he didn't have room! TGB, you are excellent value, & we would definitely eat there next time we are up that way again, & would certainly recommend others to do the same.

wiredfrog, Owner at TGB Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

Greetings SouthernFoody1957

It's apparent that you love your food!! So do we^^ Afterall, we are at South Canterbury and we are known for our gracious southern hospitality. Nothing fancy but solid comfort food with a dash of smileys from our seasoned staff.

Yes, we do acknowledge that Room 101, the Queen Suite could have been better. Being a historical hotel, we never stopped in fixing up things and introducing the latest mod com to keep up with time. This being Timaru and not Queenstown, we don't have a constant flow of guests to make it a viable financial position to restore the rooms to its pristine condition.

The Grosvenor is rated a 3-star hotel by Qualmark, the Governmental rating agency. This, for us is where we are comfortable at right now in terms of offering a product mix that's value-for-money.

Bear with us and once we have extra cash reserve, no doubt we will definitely commit in bringing a superior product to the market.

Watch the space.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Went to the Grosvenor for dinner and I'm glad I did. The meals we ordered were perfect and tasted very good. I had the seafood chowder and the squid was the tenderest I have ever tasted. It just melted in your mouth. The steak that was also ordered was tender and juicy. The atmosphere was cosy and the crowd we spoke to all enjoyed the food. The staff were friendly and made you feel welcomed.

1  Thank MalDann

Greetings MalDann

We are grateful that you have a wonderful experience here at our restaurant.

Do come again.

From all of us here at The Grosvenor, thank you kindly.

Reviewed 15 July 2017

We were looking for a place to indulge ourselves, celebrate our time together. We arrived a bit early but were seated quickly and a good choice of menu. I chose the beef eyed steak, medium rare, with garlic butter after having the most delectable seafood chowder with garlic bread. (Scallop, mussels, octopus, prawn and fish very evident.) My son had the same, my husband fish of the day, my son's partner had the Chicken fried dish with mushrooms. All dishes were well presented and lovely. My steak was divine, the chowder alone worth going for.

wiredfrog, Owner at TGB Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Greetings Shayne

We are appreciative that you enjoyed your time at TGB.

Do come again.

With gratitude from all of us at The Grosvenor.

Reviewed 9 July 2017

Pretty open to having a good experience , but it fell short on several aspects. The waitress was very unwelcoming. We had to get our own menus despite her telling us she would bring them over, she did not bring us water and when I politely asked she slammed the glasses down on the table. When taking our orders she did not tell us about the specials, or ask us if we wanted drinks and at no point did she ask how our meals were.

That brings us to the meals. I appreciate they were very cheap, but the quality really really reflected that. Mushroom melt is about one chopped mushroom with onion and sauce on a dry bun. Chips were ok. Eggs bene was OK but the eggs were overdone.

wiredfrog, Owner at TGB Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2017

Greetings Owai

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on us.

We have done an investigation with our staff and this is the findings. You were here on a Sunday and as per usual, our Gastropub was full to the brim. Both our kitchen and the front attendants were off their feet and trying their utmost best to serve everyone briskly. Some regular guests of ours were understanding and went elsewhere because they didn't book in advance.

Our staff remembered your husband and you vividly because you weren't happy in waiting. They were apologetic about that but they couldn't make the meals go any faster. They were adamant about not slamming the glasses down on you deliberately but you would see it differently anyway. There's no point to go into the he-said, she-said scenario because it won't do anyone any good. Suffice to say that when guests opt for budget meal, something has got to give. We won't be able to carry anymore additional staff for customer service because we need to keep the cost down. That's the cold reality check.

Regarding the mushroom melt, it's more than what you described. The condition of the egg is very subjective and a chef's perspective will be different to ours. However, with so many Masterchefs program on TV these days, everyone seems to know more than the chefs who are doing the cooking.

To sum it up, yes, we could have done better. Your comment is taken on board and we strive to improve on our service and offering. Apology is given. Happy Days!!

Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

Had a fabulous reasonably priced meal from a wide ranging meal. Good atmosphere. Service very good but a smile would have been nice from the waitress.Had a baby but they provided highchair. Loved my meal would go again

wiredfrog, Owner at TGB Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2017

Greetings LeonieHastings

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on us.

We appreciate your kind words.

Stay safe.