“Horror stay”

and 1 more site!
Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga
Ranked #21 of 304 Speciality Lodging in Canggu
Reviewed 11 July 2017

This place would be shut by any health department in a normal country where regulations exist. It is so dirty and unhygienic, that you may contract a disease just passing by from the outside. The first night I stayed I could not sleep as the room was absolutely nothing like in the pictures, dirty sheets, net with holes. The toilets and showers were on the floor above. God help you if you need to use them.
The property has an ongoing constant construction on site and sites nearby. 3 dirty dogs live on the property as well (typical of Bali), that go in and out of the so called Alkaline restaurant. The owners were the most ARROGANT people I have met in my life, let alone yoga owners, complete joke. They are very sales oriented and want to sell you anything and everything. The breakfast was 10% decent, meaning it was edible, but looking around at the hygiene, that 10% seems generous. I was invited to check out their other rooms down the road, extremely questionable road, lots of dogs, and more construction, as an added bonus, they wanted to charge me more to move there. Please do yourself a favor and research as I later found out that they are extremely pricey for what they provide. They have over 5 spots for the non existing internet so when you move to the pool, you have to sign in again, complete joke on every level. Their yoga classes and accommodation and so overpriced. I booked an air conditioned private room with TV, normal breakfast in a clean hotel nearby for only $5/night more. Please respect yourself and stay somewhere where your body, health, mind, wealth and life would be respected.

Room Tip: No rooms in this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank JeniePaul
Krishna C, General Manager at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Greetings Jenie
We value your feedback, and we are happy that you arrived well in Serenity.
Serenity eco guesthouse is based on eco-permaculture principle. We pride ourselves in being apremier eco-conscious destination in Canggu - focused on comfortability and affordability. In addition to our Permaculture gardening, we also practice waste water utilization, composting, utilize natural cleaning materials, utilize natural building materials, separate our rubbish and recycling 100% of all our rubbish.

Regarding your concern on dogs in our premises, we have dogs in-house, owned by the owner. They roam the vicinity, alongside our Security, this is to ensure the safety and security of our guests, and keeping stray dogs away. We will put more effort to ensure dogs do not enter the kitchen.

We regret to hear that you thought the owners were sales oriented. We do like to think that we are different to other profit based organisations, having strong emphasis to giving back to charity: opening free yoga class by donation, recycling plastics to be turned into yoga mat bags and many other ventures. Donating all to foundations such as the Smile Foundation of Bali (Senyum Bali) who bring healthcare to children with craniofacial disabilities, sponsoring disabled kids from YCMU (Yayasan Cahaya Mutiara Ubud) and working together with local recycling companies, such as Eco Bali, who run environment saving programs.

We are not perfect, continuously doing our utmost best to improve ourselves. We thank you for giving us the chance to improve ourselves
Yansyah.

Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

I had a one week yoga retreat including accommodation and yoga/ meditation classes. All the teachers and classes are simply great! All the staffs are very helpful and kind.
I have experienced different sorts of yoga styles and meditation over there.
The restaurant Alkaline is really good, yummy and healthy. The swimming pool is good, too. I would give them five stars but I cannot deny the fact that I had a terrible night when I little rat came to visit me in my room. Fortunately it was my last night. If there is something that I am terrified of is rat so I couldn't not sleep in my room and had to "sleep" on the sofa downstairs at the reception area surrounded by mosquitoes when early (6:30am) in the morning a staff awoke me saying: "Miss, sorry but you have to go to your room now."
Well, no one like a manager gave me any feedback while I was there, I did "complain" with a staff that said "I am sorry". It was a shame and disappointing in the end of my stay. Hopefully my review can improve the service because I don't want anyone have the same experience that I had.

Stayed: July 2017
Krishna C, Front Office Manager at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2017

Greetings LigiY,
Thank you for time to reviews us. We are so glad that you enjoyed our yoga classes and the foods at Alkaline restaurant.
It is a shame that on the last night there was the rat incident, which made you uncomfortable . We want to assure to all that we do our best to keep all the rooms as safe as possible from pets, with Eco - Friendly measure. Alas being in the in the country side, sometimes such uncontrollable events may occur.
We do apologise for the confusion with the security. They should have asked more about your situation and then have called the manager as soon as possible.
Thank you for your feed back to us. That will definitely help us improve our service and the communication between all departments.
Hope to see you in the near future,

Dewi

Reviewed 3 July 2017

After a nice and intensive ashtanga yoga class with Fernando, I love eating one of the special home made desserts created by Yatna. My favorite: the raw banofee pudding... Simply delicious! Made by good products and really tasty, this dessert will seduce you for sure.The peanut ice cream is also wonderful and many many others. It is more than a yoga center, it is also a great and really healthy restaurant. I love to come here!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Krishna C, Front Office Manager at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2017

Greetings Caroline,

Thank you for reviewing us. That is nice you like our home made desserts. Do not hesitate to try another menu at Alkaline restaurant,and also do some yoga class.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 25 June 2017

just returned from another wonderful week at Serenity. This place retains all it's natural charm, yoga classes are so well designed and guided with something for everyone. Stayed in the 'newish' Nirvana South room - excellent. Expect me back next year !

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo

Greetings Anon,

Thank you for taking the time to write this awesome review and share your experience to stay at Serenity. It was one of the best rooms we had. We are happy that you enjoyed stay in Nirvana room.

See you next year!

Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

I visited Serenity Eco Guesthouse for a week long yoga retreat. It was a fantastic experience- thanks mostly to the yoga instructors and organisers of the retreat Maria and Bente. They were professional, helpful, friendly and encouraging. The food at the restaurant onsite was fresh, healthy and tasty. The accommodation was basic and comfortable. The yoga rooms were lovely and airy. The pool was clean and surrounded by plenty of sun lounges. The beach and local pubs, shops and cafes were within walking distance. All in all a wonderful week and I would definitely return!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo

Greetings Amy,

Thank you for sharing your experience to staying with Serenity. We are so glad to having them in our retreat. We will do our best for the future,to make our guest always happy,comfortable,and have memorable to stay with us.

We are looking forward to seeing you again in another retreat!