All reviews working farm wood stove mossy seashells dorm cabin views alaska
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed at seaside last week, and it was one of the most memorable experiences I have had throughout my years of traveling. Situated on a lively farm with spectacular views, your spirit will be renewed by this magical place. The young staff was extremely kind, helpful, and knowledgable about farm life. They made me feel right at home with their warm smiles and conversation. Rooms were very clean, well stocked and spacious. I always had what I needed and more. The farm itself is bubbling with fantastic creatures, and gorgeous vegetation is abundant. The view of the Alaskan Range isn't so bad either.

Seaside is an Alaskan treat!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

We sayed two nights there in a cabin just above the beach and with excellent glacier view. AWESOME. Cabins are simple but easy to heat up. Although situated out of town you can easily access by car. Staff is very friendly and supportive.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 10 June 2013

This review is hard to write, as I really wanted to love this place. Rustic is an understatement. The farm has astounding views and nurtures natural life on its property. Mossy is as delightful as legend suggests and clearly loves the land and critters it supports. The cabins may be beautiful and secluded.

Unfortunately, the guest house is old and needs some basic maintenance and a good cleaning. By way of example, a big living room window had a crack across it mended with tape, the bathroom window is held open with a shampoo bottle, dirty dishes sit in the sink, and the carpet under my bed was just gross. Bring shower shoes for the shared bathroom.

Also be prepared for the alternative vibe, courtesy of the twenty-somethings who manage the guest house and work the farm. They cook and socialize together in the common areas -- one morning as late as 2am. Guests are welcome to join in with them, but shouldn't expect to find coffee waiting for them in the morning. Bring your breakfast food, label it with name and date, and store it in the communal refrigerator.

All of this could be just fine if guests know what to expect. I took pictures of the terms posted in the entry way, which I wish I'd seen before booking. See attached photos. Complimentary Wi-Fi is unsecure.

Room Tip: "Crow's Nest" room in the guest house is over the kitchen and dining room area, along with its noise from the young people working on the farm who gather there. Maybe the cabins are more pleasant than the guest house?
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
seasidemossy, Owner at Seaside Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

The gentleman writing the review stayed many days and though he seemed to be having a good time , he obviously was unhappy from the start, and though he was around most of the time, and had plenty of opportunity to talk to me, he neglected to tell management about his complaints, which we would gladly have addressed. We tried everything to make his stay enjoyable, but you cant please everyone.We are not the Best Western, which obviously is a better choice for some. . OUr helpers and crew was just getting started and we were short handed--and not 100% open ready yet for guests this early in the year, so we regret him having an adverse experience. We have isntalled a very strict 11 p.m quiet time and no cooking int the kitchen quiet time as well, though sometimes even guests stay up late to enjoy a late dinner. . .
Some things, however are unavoidable, and part of living in this remote country and on a farm. For example, the broken window was caused by a recent earthquake, of which we have many around here! Also may roosters crow early in the morn under your window, and tractors may be rumbling around making hay til midnight. If its not a farm you want with occasional hay tracked into the living room, by accident, then folks are welocme to stay elsewhere and we always give them their money back! We want happy people here .

Reviewed 29 July 2012

In spring I had a wonderful stay in the main house on Seaside Farm,Homer. The view from Mossys property to the glaciers and mountains over the bay is breathtaking and over a path you have access to the never ending beach.
During my stay in the main house I enjoyed to meet other travelers from all over the world. In the big community kitchen you can find everything you need for cooking and the hole community area was always clean and tidy. There's also a small and old bathroom, but it was very cute and clean. In my room I had lots of space and towels as well as washrags were provided. For one night I stayed in the Seashell cabin, which is situated above the beach with a incredible view over Kackemak bay. It's an unforgettable adventure to spend a night in a simple cabin with a wood stove, lovingly decorated, in the middle of Alaskas beautiful nature, without any noise caused by humans.

Mossys Seaside Farm is a perfect spot for a great Alaskan experience. I really enjoyed to have the animals around, observe them enjoying the nature and see they love their live on Mossys Farm.

I'll definitly be back on this very special place and pick some organic raspberries from Mossys patch ;-)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank sSchweiz
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I come back to seaside every year for a reason. its a beautiful, fun, friendly hostel with the most spectacular views. The staff are always friendly, cheery and helpful. The rustic main house is a great taste of alaska while being warm and comfortable all times of the year! the pavilion and bon fire pit are absolutely adorable and we have many fond memories around the campfire. The view is UNBEATABLE! with full access to one of alaska's fines beaches, beautiful rolling fields and fantastic forests, the trails are easy to follow, the signs adorable and overall this is really just a fantastic place. The cabins are clean and rustic, with comfortable accommodations, and breathtaking views. the camping field is flat and even with soft grass to add comfort! if you want to enjoy alaska and get a taste of the real alaska experience i strongly strongly encourage you to come to seaside. Its one of those " must see before you die" kind of places.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends