US$601
Etu Moana(Aitutaki)
Aitutaki Escape(Aitutaki)
Rino's Motel(Aitutaki)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsself cateringabsolute beachfrontfishpesky mosquitoeslocal childrencook islandspiece of paradisegrocery shoppingmotor scootersliding doorlight sleepermarine lifefantastic accommodationking bedfew minutes walkprivate lagoonisland tour
Reviewed 7 January 2009

Aitutaki was beautiful and we realy enjoyed staying at the Beach Villas...We have two small children and the Villa was perfect. There were four in total, but we stayed in the absolute beach front with only one level, which was perfect for a young family or anyone!

The Villa was kept up nicely: New fridge, shower, appliances, bedding, relatively new screens for the windows/curtains, air conditioning....Paka, our host was around the property often and gave us new sheets/towels during our stay, along with helping us book a car to see the Island...she was really helpful and very sweet.

The people of Aitutaki in general are very gracious and we had a blast with the kids on the beach/water. Kayaks were available under each Villa for use as well.

Recommend going to Island Night at the Tamanu Beach property just about five minutes away on foot...make reservations, it's great!

Have fun at one of the world's most beautiful places!!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 13 October 2008

We stayed at the Aitutaki Beach Villas for 7 nights. In our opinion it is situated on the best beach on the island. You are basically left to your own devices as your hosts do not live onsite. There are 4 Villas, and when we stayed no one else was in any of the others, perfect!
Although at first we found our host friendly we felt some what mislead as they state on their website that they service the Villa daily, ours didn't get done once in the whole 7 days. On day 3 when we asked for more clean towels, she became annoyed and argued with us about it, saying she only cleans every 3rd day? This never happened.
Because of the isolation we hired a scooter off them for the length of our holiday; this was a great way of getting around the island, although on the last day she tried to charge us for an additional day.
The Villas are of average quality but are situated at an excellent location which seems to even it all out. The insect screens have seen better days allowing bugs in, and the queen bed they claim to have on their website is actually 2 singles joined together.
We note that the guest books in the Villa have been saying for years that they need to do something about the insect screens, but alas they are still choosing to ignore the feedback
Aitutaki is a magical place and the Aitutaki Beach Villas could be the ultimate if only they put back a little into upkeep and service.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank JMAK69
Reviewed 28 July 2008

We had a lovely stay. The units are self contained and comfortable. Kaleena met us at the airport and took us shopping and gave us fresh fruit for our stay. The units are in good order. Four double kayaks are available no charge. A motor scooter in excellent order was ready for us @ $20 a day.

The reef is not all dead at all as the locals might tell you, they don't snorkel. I did. There are lots of lovely stands of live coral in amongst the tumbled pieces and plenty of fish life, clams and big blue starfish. Just snorkel out directly from the units - go out a way. the lagoon is shallow and safe. There is a lot of fine mist in the water when the wind is blowing. It seems to stir up a current. Wait for times when the lagoon is placid for best viewing. It's still misty then too but not bad at all, especially when the sun is fully out.

The only bugs were little tropical beetles attracted by lights at night. The units are all insect screened & geckoes gobble up the moths &tc - very entertaining.

Plenty of eating places nearby & it's very handy having a kitchenette. We often dined in. Take the scooter; the trip into the hills and around the island roads is great for views. Everyone is hospitable and friendly.

The lagoon is just like the postcards. I've never seen such a palette of turquoise, greens and blues and after the white surf of the reef, the sea is deep purple. Just stunning.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 3 July 2008

First of all the hosts do not live on Aitutaki. They live on Rarotonga, nobody mentioned this before.
The person who should service the bungalows is the sister of the owners. She comes to the bungalows 3 times a week and tat s the most important thing She servises the bungalows only after a guest leaves! I stayed there for two weeks and nobody serviced my bungalow!

There were many cockroaches in every of the four bungalows and that s why I wanted to change the bungalow, but Puka, that s the name of the person who should service the bungalows screamed at me that she never worked on sundays because of her religion!

There are many mistakes on her homepage: I think she will change it: The transfer is not free and nevertheless many of the guests payed in advance for the transfer but there was nobody waiting for them on the airport!

Includes complimentary airport transfers! That s not true, they charged me 20 US Dollars one way!!!

There is no phone in the bungalows and the neighbours do not know the adress or the phone number of Puka, who should be the responsible person for the bungalows on Aitutaki!

AThere is no air condition in 3 of the bungalows, and in one bungalow there you have to pay 20 US Dollars per day for the air condition!!!!

Be aware: The food in the bungalows, which is very expensive and the expiry date was 2006 or 2007: I was shocked!

Puka was extremly rude to me and the other guests who stayed in the bungalows: While I stayed in my bungalow for 14 nights only 3 more guests arrived and they all left after 2 or 3 nights!

I had to pay my whole stay 2 months in advance and I would never do anything like that again!

The bungalows were all very dirty and the photos on the homepage are wrong because the bungalows are white and not brown!!

5 days the toilet was not working and so I had to walk to a restaurant nearby, because Puka was in french polynesia at that time, where her husband lived at hat time!

The kayaks were in a bad shape and I tried it once but there was a small hole in it and so I had to return! Puka wanted me to pay for the kayak instead of saying sorry, but I refused because the bad shape of the kayaks was not my fault!

I told all these things to the tourist manager of Aitutaki and he sayd, that many guests complained about The Aitutaki Beach Villas and that they wanted to close this accomodation if nothing would change in the near future!

The other thing was that there was no toilet paper and no towels in the bungalows and Puka did not want to give me any for free! So I bought all this kind of stuff in the supermarket.

On my last day I asked the neighbours about this accomodation: They told me that Puka does not service the villas and is very rude to the tourists so there are not many tourists staying there!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
19  Thank Tuilmann
Reviewed 28 May 2008

Myself and my lovely wife spent 3 weeks in Rarotonga and Aitutaki in the Cook Islands to celebrate 25 years of mostly married bliss. Prior to visiting Aitutaki Beach Villas we stayed at Etu Moana. There is only a 5 minute walk between the two. We loved Etu Moana but had to move after 5 days as it was fully booked. (see my review) Aitutaki beach villas does not give the same level of service or luxury but then it is a good deal cheaper. Overall it is good value. The villas are clean and everything worked. Paka our host was helpful and spread our room with beautiful flowers on our arrival. Our location right on the beach was amazing. The beach was unbelievably quiet. Good kayaks are provided and reef shoes, but bring your own snorkelling gear. This is essential in the lagoon.
What were the highlights.
1) The friendly people of Aitutaki. They wave, they smile and often stopped to offer us a lift when we were walking. At the local church we were welcomed with open arms and joined in a Polynesian banquet after the service.
2) The lagoon and its multitude of colours. Fit in as many trips out as you can afford and weather permits. It takes the breath away. One Foot and Honeymoon Island are stunning. The red tailed tropic birds on Honeymoon were great.
3) Simply taking two chairs down to the edge of the water and watching the stunning sunsets with a glass of very good New Zealand wine. Seeing some young local children playing in the water at this time. I don't always find it easy to sit doing nothing. But the Aitutakian sunsets chilled me out pretty good.
4) Kayaking the lagoon. Tie up to the coral outcrops further out and you will be able to see a greater variety of fish when snorkelling. Look out for the cleaner wrasses at their stations.
5) The Island night at The Pacific Resort. It is the only place we found in the Cook Islands where you don't look out of place in trousers. It is upmarket but we thought good value. The a la carte meal was excellent and the entertainment great fun. The only place that sells Matutu beer from a local micro brewery on Raro. Good stuff.

On the self catering side we used the Maina superstre. You will laugh at that when you see it. Supplies are as you would expect limited, but their is enough. My best tip is that you use Kukus cafe a 20 minute walk towards the town from the villas. Good fresh food at ridiculously cheap prices. The fishburger is something else and do try her smoothies. It is cheaper to eat here than to self cater. She is only open during the day and does not sell alcoholic drinks.

Prepare for the Mossies. Aitutaki has plenty of those but just keep putting the deet on and it helps.The locals use a mix of dettol and baby oil which they say works well. We used a net at night and this does give peace of mind. Overall they are a small price to pay.

If you do choose the villas give my regards to the cats and the geckos. Even the cockerells who gave us their dawn chorus. Believe me it is another world and one worth visiting. I make it a rule never to go back to the same place as its a big world. But who knows their are always exceptions to the rule.

Bob and Bev,.