“UNFORGETTABLE - ONCE IN A LIFETIME EXPERIENCE!!!”
Review of Bettles Lodge

Bettles Lodge
Reviewed 24 January 2011

I had always wanted to see the Northern Lights and search all over the Internet for the best place to stay with the most amenities to offer. The staff was extremely helpful in telling us the best times of the year to come up, the most likely times the aurora would be seen. Once we got up to Fairbanks the adventure began! This is a fly in only lodge...no roads except 6 weeks a winter when the ice roads are driveable (think Ice Road Truckers). We took a bush plane up to the Arctic Circle and met our host(s). The lodge was quaint and rustic, if you want 5 star you shouldn't be going to the Arctic Circle! There was internet access, but via satellite. And no cell service (a wonderful thing if you want to escape the office!) However, with that being said, the staff was wonderful, the rooms were comfortable (we stayed in both the room with a private bath and a shared bath), the food was quite delicious and the Arctic gear provided to us made us warm and comfortable. The staff was more than accomodating and friendly. This is a trip to take if you want to see the northern lights, experience the Arctic Circle, and spend time getting to know other people who are from all over the world visiting for the same reason. Its a small quaint lodge and very easy to make new friends! Can't rave enough about the staff, the villagers, the extra activities, the scenery and of course the lights! Wonderful! By the way, I rated sleep quality a little lower only becsue you are up from midnight until 2-3AM watching the lights! You just don't want to go to sleep...they really do dance across the sky!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DreamcatcherLodge

Reviewed 18 March 2010

Excellent staff. Good food. Arctic activities. Staff and guests bond ...it is almost like visiting in someone's home. Hoping to revisit during the autumn season. Loved it!

Suggestions:...
1..need provision in rooms for placement of bags...(I shared my bed with my luggage!)
2. Place bottled water in rooms daily for usage in dental hygiene...tap water has exceedingly high mineral content

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank glsterling
Reviewed 30 September 2009

The flight from Fairbanks to Bettles was without incident. On arrival the staff were full of encouragement to ditch my booking with them and take off into the wilderness with my new found friends from the flight (they did not charge me for doing so). I had lunch with them and then boarded the float plane which returned 3 days later to pick me up and take me back to Bettles where I stayed for one night before returning to Fairbanks. I stayed that one night in the bunkhouse for $40 and it was comfortable. I ate at the lodge and food was good on all occasions. The staff were extremely friendly, as were the resident dogs and the locals who came and went during the afternoon. I had a brilliant stay in Gates of Arctic and would recommend a trip there and a stop in Bettles Lodge to all my friends.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Eve H
Reviewed 23 July 2009

In the middle of nowhere but worth the visit to see.food was expected to be average but
almost inedible.Nice enough old shack of a lodge with lots of character let down by the 20
something year olds trying to run a rural location am sure its tough but not so hard surely
for the place to be clean and food hot.Good place to chill and get away from everything
but for the money could have got a lot more elsewhere in AK.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank numt
AKLynK, General Manager at Bettles Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2011

We were sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the cuisine or the management during your stay. Our staff includes many age ranges, from our 85 year old '' coffee maker '' Ted to our Manager who is 40 something, to our pilots whose ages range from 35 years young to mid 60's . We do hire a few seasonal hands that can be younger, usually they are in Alaska to experience the beauty - we feel they add a lot to the crew, their enjoyment of being in Real Alaska with authentic people enhances not only the crews work day but our clients vacations as well. If you decide to come back to Alaska, let us know - we would love to offer you a great deal with incredible food and a great team of employee's to accommodate all your needs.

Reviewed 26 September 2008

My crazy Fiance decided to propose to me here. This is definitely a place for the adventurous. You take a small plane from Fairbanks to get here which takes about an hour and once here you land in the middle of nowhere literally. This lodge is located in a small town of maybe 15 to 20 people. It is above the arctic circle so it was pretty cold. The temp when we went was below 30. So make sure you bring proper clothing if you go around the winter months. People mainly stay here because they want to see the northern lights. The lodge is very small and cute. Anne and her husband were running the lodge when we went and boy were we lucky because they were the best and the stories they told were simply amazing. Because the lodge also has a store where the locals get groceries we got a chance to meet the locals and I was introduced to a Indian Chief. Best activity to do is ask the local man with dogs to take you on a sleigh ride it was probably one of the most amazing things i have ever done. The room we were in was very cozy. It's not anything compared to a 3 star hotel but it was nice. There is a suana room where you can get warmed up in before you hit the bed.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
6  Thank NSL76

Been to Bettles Lodge? Share your experiences!