All reviews cross country skiing dog sledding northern lights arctic circle aurora borealis snow machine winter gear van tour snow machining shared shower jacuzzi tub other guests sub zero temperatures nice tour far north mother nature homemade soup
Reviewed 18 March 2010

Excellent staff. Good food. Arctic activities. Staff and guests bond ...it is almost like visiting in someone's home. Hoping to revisit during the autumn season. Loved it!

Suggestions:...
1..need provision in rooms for placement of bags...(I shared my bed with my luggage!)
2. Place bottled water in rooms daily for usage in dental hygiene...tap water has exceedingly high mineral content

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank glsterling
Reviewed 30 September 2009

The flight from Fairbanks to Bettles was without incident. On arrival the staff were full of encouragement to ditch my booking with them and take off into the wilderness with my new found friends from the flight (they did not charge me for doing so). I had lunch with them and then boarded the float plane which returned 3 days later to pick me up and take me back to Bettles where I stayed for one night before returning to Fairbanks. I stayed that one night in the bunkhouse for $40 and it was comfortable. I ate at the lodge and food was good on all occasions. The staff were extremely friendly, as were the resident dogs and the locals who came and went during the afternoon. I had a brilliant stay in Gates of Arctic and would recommend a trip there and a stop in Bettles Lodge to all my friends.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Eve H
Reviewed 23 July 2009

In the middle of nowhere but worth the visit to see.food was expected to be average but
almost inedible.Nice enough old shack of a lodge with lots of character let down by the 20
something year olds trying to run a rural location am sure its tough but not so hard surely
for the place to be clean and food hot.Good place to chill and get away from everything
but for the money could have got a lot more elsewhere in AK.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank numt
AKLynK, General Manager at Bettles Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2011

We were sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the cuisine or the management during your stay. Our staff includes many age ranges, from our 85 year old '' coffee maker '' Ted to our Manager who is 40 something, to our pilots whose ages range from 35 years young to mid 60's . We do hire a few seasonal hands that can be younger, usually they are in Alaska to experience the beauty - we feel they add a lot to the crew, their enjoyment of being in Real Alaska with authentic people enhances not only the crews work day but our clients vacations as well. If you decide to come back to Alaska, let us know - we would love to offer you a great deal with incredible food and a great team of employee's to accommodate all your needs.

Reviewed 26 September 2008

My crazy Fiance decided to propose to me here. This is definitely a place for the adventurous. You take a small plane from Fairbanks to get here which takes about an hour and once here you land in the middle of nowhere literally. This lodge is located in a small town of maybe 15 to 20 people. It is above the arctic circle so it was pretty cold. The temp when we went was below 30. So make sure you bring proper clothing if you go around the winter months. People mainly stay here because they want to see the northern lights. The lodge is very small and cute. Anne and her husband were running the lodge when we went and boy were we lucky because they were the best and the stories they told were simply amazing. Because the lodge also has a store where the locals get groceries we got a chance to meet the locals and I was introduced to a Indian Chief. Best activity to do is ask the local man with dogs to take you on a sleigh ride it was probably one of the most amazing things i have ever done. The room we were in was very cozy. It's not anything compared to a 3 star hotel but it was nice. There is a suana room where you can get warmed up in before you hit the bed.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
6  Thank NSL76
Reviewed 17 September 2008

We were in Bettles Aug./Sept. 2008 to go rafting on the Northfork of the Koyukuk – Gates of the Arctic Nat. Park. One has to fly into Bettles and leave it this way. Bettles is south of the Gates of the Arctic Nat. Park and one of it's main entrance points. Our guides booked with Bettles Air and we stopped at Bettles Lodge. Gates of the Arctic Nat. Park is a great place.

We had some problems with the transport of our luggage and part of the luggage was lost in Bettles during the transfer from the plane Fairbanks - Bettles (Bettles Air) and Bettles to our starting point for the rafting (also Bettles Air). I cannot comment, because I do not know the details sufficiently.

On the way back to Fairbanks, we were supposed to leave Bettles, Sept. 3rd at 14:30 with Bettles Air together with two other passengers, who had the same information. The plane was there, everything else was there, including the pilot, but there was "no go". First we were surprised by the message that there was no flight scheduled on the 3rd anyway - then it was 7:00 pm. As a consequence of this delay we wanted some hot lunch in Bettles Lodge shortly before 2:00 pm and were told they were going to close at 2:00 pm - therefore no warm lunch!-- Bettles Air and Bettles Lodge have the same owner!—We did not find this very helpful.

We heard a funny story during waiting: The pilot was not prepared to go before 7:00 pm, because he wanted to take his girl friend with him, an employee of Bettles Lodge, who was not free before 7:00pm. You do not believe this?-- We did not either!-- At 6:00 pm the pilot came with a little Blonde with a night pack, hand in hand, who took a seat next to the pilot. Your guess is as good as mine, whether the story we heard was true or not. Independent from this story we did not find this reliable.

So much about the service of Bettles Lodge and Bettles Air. Fortunatly there is another Air Charter in Bettles and there is at least one other Lodge there.

Jo
Germany, Gorxheimertal

13  Thank Joa80

We are sorry to hear of the problems you experienced while at the Betles Lodge and Air Service. The confusion with your flights and the Lodge meals is not at all typical of our staff or our flight crew. It sounds as though either party or both were misinformed at the time of your travel. If you come through Bettles again, please let us know so that we can make it up to you with great service.