All reviews front desk san jose omelette station costa rica food court free breakfast full kitchen bedroom suite hotel is great hotel is located tulemar dave within walking distance cima hospital amazing service upscale area business trip an extended stay
Reviewed 16 August 2018

We stayed here first week of August for our wedding anniversary. Being Gold Elite, we asked if there's an upgrade. There was and we're upgraded to a Queen suite, but only for a couple of days. They did give us an envelope with a card (not Marriott nor Costa Rican design) with a hand-written Happy Anniversary wish (like written by a child), which was nice. Everything in the room was fine, except the noise of somebody hammering (they're still doing some renovating. So the next morning, we asked if instead of a couple of days, that we could be moved to the permanent room that day so we can just re-pack/unpack until the end of our stay. We mentioned about the noise, and they said to check later. Later, I called and they were going to check to see if there's any room in the Elite members only (6th) floor. half an hour later, nobody called. I decided to go down, I was told nothing yet, to check the next day. Somebody else came and checked. There was one. They mentioned it was only a studio, which was fine (only difference were a wall and door, and a slightly bigger room) to make the bedroom more enclosed. To be honest, the room looked bigger since it's a more open space. The next night, we heard some banging noise, but maybe it was from the heavy rain and something hitting a metal pole outside). There were also construction noise, I think from the other building, that I think we just tuned out the rest of the stay. They did have a nice laundry area in 3rd floor that's free (except for detergent and dryer sheets). Decent exercise room with filtered water, and cleaning wipes. Dishwasher door has a tendency to open (locking mechanism needs to be adjusted).

VERY FRIENDLY PEOPLE THROUGHOUT.

Inconsistencies?

- There wasn't room, there was room..
- First room didn't have a Welcome kit decoration (water bottle, dental kit, slipper, etc), second one did. When asked for a 2nd or 3rd slipper, was told only one per room. I guess it's not meant to be worn or used or it's meant to be shared?
- One lady in the reception confirmed that our anniversary was Monday and that they would send (someone) something.... we came back after a long day eager for that, but nothing. Next few days? Nothing.
- We took out the sofa bed for our son. One cleaning lady understood and just cleaned and setup the sofa bed, another lady closed it (luckily my wife came back to get something and told her).
- One day coffee packets in the room were refilled, one day, we have to ask, one day nothing...
- In the Elite members floor, there's a lime or strawberry infused drink and a thermos of coffee. Sometimes, there's only water (morning or evening), sometimes there's both. One day there's even bakery!
- First breakfast, there was a special table with tamale and coffee on the pot, which from what we understood from the explanation, was pretty much the same coffee but ladled in to old-looking but designed cups to look authentic.
- The omelette lady also asked when our anniversary is AND the room number. For what? We don't know, we never got any surprise.
- The other (backup) omelette lady cooked an omelette for another guest and talking to him the whole time, but when she was cooking my over-easy egg, she left to go to the kitchen and something else. I watched helplessly at the egg on the stove... until I just had to put it aside and out of the fire... and when she came back, she was amazed (that she forgot) and thanked me. I understand that they have multiple jobs (I see them clearing up the tables as well, but when you're cooking something....)
- Backup omelette lady at least uses the spoon for the omelette ingredients. Main lady, has gloves, she would break open an egg, touching the raw part and then use the same hands to just grab the cheese (it won't even be cooked, just warmed/melted).
- Elevator would sometimes work, sometimes not, and if it does, one time, the light indicator outside did not.
- Manager's reception was non-existent. When we tried asking about it, they mentioned happy hour only.
(Dining - Free hot/cold buffet breakfast is included with your stay and awaits you each morning from 6:30 AM to 10 AM. The onsite restaurant is a great place to grab a bite to eat, or mingle with other guests at the free manager's reception.)
- Pool was nice and warm in the morning, but when we decided to go later in the afternoon, it was cold.

Other stuff.

- "To go" coffee lids would fit the cup nicely, but putting it in requires patience and the right pressure. Otherwise, you risk crushing it or spilling it (as what happened to us).
- Thankfully, breakfast choices were different a bit. Still, it's still not something we enjoyed. Sausage was hard with some sort of sauce, "Bacon" was also hard, not crispy. Where's the butter? They pointed us to something, but it's either cream cheese or ? I brought down butter that I bought.

Room Tip: 6th floor is Elite members only, but can still be subject to a parking lot view.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank wynn003
Ismael M, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott San Jose Escazu, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2018

Dear wynn003

On behalf of the Residence Inn Hotel, thank you for choosing our Hotel in your days in San Jose and we really appreciate your time to wrote down your feedback.

Apologies for the inconvenience, we are very sad because your stay is very important and we are grateful for the trust you have given us. We will share your message appropriately within the organization.
We are working to get better benefits to Elite Members, hope another opportunity to offer you a pleasant stay according in your needs and give to you and your family an excellent service.

Thank you for your loyalty.

Reviewed 11 August 2018

The location of the hotel is great. Our room was facing the lexus/ac building and there was a resonating mechanical sound coming from the building next door. Additionally there was two guys jack hammering an exterior wall of the hotel all day. We had to leave our room in the morning due to the noise. When we returned in the afternoon they were still at it. We did ask reception for another room but they said there wasn't any available. Response from the manager says we should have asked reception to move us. Even though that's exactly what we did.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank nicholasCR
Ismael M, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott San Jose Escazu, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2018

Dear NicholasCR

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn San Jose Escazu for your travels in San Jose,

Apologies for the inconvenience we are working in order to make it better every day, we really appreciate your time you took to wrote down the feedback.

We look forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Location:
20 minutes drive from the airport
It’s a part of gated complex of restaurants, stores, company offices, car dealership, Starbucks and etc. everything looks newly built and well maintained.

Hotel:
Build 9 years ago (according to them) is a clean business hotel with high traffic coming through. Looks like they are very busy. I’ve been to several Residence inns and this looks better then any I have been to.
We had 2Br /2 Bathroom suit. It has 2 Queen beds and a sleeper sofa. Functional and clean

Service:
Not as good as the rest. After over 10 hours of traveling I was hoping to get kids to bed asap. I asked them to set up sleeper ahead of time. At check in I learned It wasn’t. “No issues, please do it now asap “ I said. They assured me it will be done.
When we get to the room I see that they dropped off linen and blankets for it, dumped it there and left. Not cool.

Breakfast:
Much better than expected. Fresh eggs station, waffles you can make yourself, fruit s, cereals, yogurts.

Stayed: August 2018
Ismael M, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott San Jose Escazu, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

Dear JVDZ7

We look forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed 3 August 2018

Out of all the Marriots in all the countries I have stayed, this is the best Platinum treatment I have ever received. To start of they have given me a hand written note every time I checked in which is a very warm gesture. It was followed by bottles of water and a choice of gifts ( we always took the costa rican chocolates :) ). Finally a roulette to determine my welcome gift point which was kind of cute.
Front desk staffs Natalia and Catalina was very helpful they were always attentive and tried to solve all my concerns.
Rooms were nice and had the homely warmth. Its very up to date and always had nice views of the city or the hills.
The area is well guarded and has lot of restaurants within walking distance, we had to check out late in the night to catch our early morning flight the guard came with us till we took the taxi.

Breakfast spread is something to rave for so many options and spread ed out so aesthetically. The lady who makes the omelette ( sorry forgot her name) was so accommodating and made the omelette the way I like.

The hotel restaurant 506 may need some improvements. Their service is very slow , it took almost 40 minutes to prepare entrees for my wife and me.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Ismael M, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott San Jose Escazu, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2018

Dear Rinju _CSE

Thank you for your feedback in our hotel, we really appreciate it.

We are working with the service in our Restaurant 506 in order to make it better every day.

Hope to see you soon.

Regards

Reviewed 10 July 2018

I have stayed at this hotel several times, both short term (1 week) and longer. The entire hotel is updated, renovated and in perfect condition. It is clean and bright, well located. The staff is incredibly friendly, from Marco at the front desk to the chef and the sweet lady who makes omelets to really every single person you run into. They are always doing something special that goes above and beyond. That could be leaving notes in your room, serving hot chocolate and cookies to organizing watch parties for World Cup. They really make every person feel recognized and important.

This hotel has the typical Marriott quality that you would expect in all aspects. It is consistent with service and facilities and décor of all Marriotts, which is very comforting for those of us who travel a lot for work.

It is located within close walking distance of many businesses, restaurants and Hospital CIMA. The streets are safe and well patrolled.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Ismael M, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott San Jose Escazu, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2018

Dear Jodi T

Thank you for your time writhing this up.

Your comments are the most important for our property. I will share this review with the whole team.

If you ever need something please let me know

Regards