Hostel Pangea
US$97
US$82
Bookit.com
Very Good 4/5
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
US$151
US$108
US$88
US$87
Very Good 4/5
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Located appropriately in-between the Bus Terminal Caribe and the city center, this place is best for young travelers (18-25yo).

The hostel itself feels cheap (cheap beds, bad lighting, poor ventilation), and not quite great even though it was spacious and rooms had card keys and small lockers.

Although the pseudo skybar and free breakfast (coffee 1$) are cool, I would not necessarily stay there again. Ah, and there is a pool (dirty).

Management did not properly address screaming kids during the night. I'm talking about a good 100dB+. Good luck trying to sleep...

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Lightpacker22
Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

We only spent one night here, the hostel was clean and met our needs,Adrian the receptionist was one of the loveliest, friendly people we have ever met. It was so helpful and had such a warmth about him. I would reccomend this hostel as it has great views of he city and is walking distance from the main part.

Laura.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2017

I stayed here for a night before my flight back home. Obviously San Jose isnt the most appealing desitination as there is not much there but for the price it did the job and they had a shuttle bus to the airport which was very useful.

HOWEVER, the bald man working on the front desk was the most ignorant specimen I have ever come across in my life. He tried to overcharge me and when I explained how he went wrong he would not reason me, eventually he realised his mistake but proceeded to complain about me to his collegue - in Spanish. To his surprise I am fluent in Spanish and when I responded to him in Spanish explaining I understood what he was saying he nearly had heart failure. I have never been so disgusted how he treated me.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nicole M
Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

If I could put zero stars instead of one I would. Worst hostel I've stayed at in Central America, especially for the price. First, they hide from you the hours of the free breakfast, lunch, and dinner unless you actively seek for the hour of each and the food is worse than prison food. Also, if you are a vegetarian don't even think about them being accommodating or customer friendly while they will just say bad luck. So I must say great customer service, haaa not!

Secondly, not only do they false advertise there adequate definition of a free "meal" their service is at par with horse excrements. Left my shoes outside of my room to air dry. Meanwhile, there is no one staying on our floor and even the workers admitted this. Asked for help as to how my shoes went missing within less than 2 hours. He said "oh, I don't know the cleaners are off so who knows" so cheers receptionist named Arthur for you exceptional customer service. Thirdly, zero security cameras. No cameras in the corridors to look for anything. Only camera is in front of the reception desk so glad to know hostel Pangea has their own interests in hand while their customer security they could clearly give a crap about. Meanwhile, my ring got stuck in their gapping hole of a drain of a sink. we asked once again the great and wonderful Arthur to help as we could shake the bottom pipe and hear my ring rattle so all you had to do was disable the handmade pvp pipe. But no, good old Arthur didn't try to help all he said was oh no the guy who can open it is out of town. Wow, Arthur who would have thought there is only one man in all of San Jose (your capital) that could help open up a plastic hand built pipe. But as long as you didn't lift a finger or make a phone call, that was the only solution. So all I can say is if you are looking for a hostel who doesn't lie to you with their false advertising and doesn't have unhelpful staff and management then DON'T STAY HERE.

I worked in hostel management for two years as well as lived in Costa Rica for over a year so as a fellow traveler I'm telling you just no.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
6  Thank Ojmay
Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

Don't bother. Terrible food. Horrendous staff. Avoid at all cost. And this is coming from a fellow hostler owner. Nothing to see while you're here. The city is lame and boring. Thieves and creepy humans

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends