“A HOLE IN THE WALL....”
Review of Hostel Pangea

Hostel Pangea
Reviewed 3 March 2017

LITERALLY....THE LOCKED FRONT ENTRY IS A HOLE IN THE WALL...NOT VERY WELCOMING TO SAY THE LEAST. I booked this place after reviewing their web site...THEY REALLY BLOW THEIR OWN HORN THERE. originally I was going to stay for 10 nights but I only booked for 5...AND THAT WAS TOO LONG BY FAR. This a very dark and depressing place. I stayed in what they called THE ROYAL SUITE. IF THAT IS A ROYAL SUITE I'D HATE TO SEE THE REST. The bed was comfortable and the TV was good and the room was clean. There was a tiny window with a view of a wall and another window with another view of a wall. There was no table or desk and chair to work at. I had to position my lap top on the garbage can and sit on the edge of the bed. EVERYTHING IS STEPS AND STAIRS. The stairs and the upper floors are made of wire mesh. On the second floor is a TV room and a smoking room....Non of which have any chairs or seating of any kind. THE THIRD FLOOR IS THE RESTAURANT / BAR...Actually more of a lunch counter...I ate there only once. The burger was good but the staff up there and at the front desk were not the most friendly. I had wanted a bottle of water and they had the gall to ask 3.00 US for it. ...I DECLINED. I got the impression that I was inconveniencing them by being there. . Luckily there is a great little bar down the street (Bar Poas) and another little restaurant next door to it both with great food and good prices, so that is where I ate for the 5 days I was there. I WAS CERTAINLY SORRY I STAYED HERE...it certainly is not worth anywhere near the 70.00 US per night. What a waste of money and what a disappointment.

Room Tip: The place is a DUMP!!!
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 February 2017 via mobile

My friend chose this hostel and I tagged along on her trip so I had to stay here. I wish I just paid for 2 places and went somewhere else. I stayed at this place for less than 12 hours, and that was already too long to be there. It's close by the airport which is why I think she chose it. I'm pretty sure there's better rated and cleaner places to stay at though. The bathrooms have no light so I had to use the bathroom using my cell phone light. The showers didn't drain so I had to shower in other people's water. The showers were off and on hot too. I was able to get a room with just my friend though so we didn't have to share it with strangers. Our screen on our window was torn and broken. There was a fan in the room though which was nice. There's cockroaches too- I saw a few roaming around. Honestly- do not stay here. Look elsewhere for somewhere that's cleaner and better.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

Stayed here one night and would not stay any longer even if you gave it to me for free. Firstly the place was dead, no one around. A lot of works going on refurbishing the pool. Am not marking down for any of that as we didn't mind. Room was clean and bathroom facilities were good. However we were 'greeted' by the rudest man working the night shift that I have ever met. Asked him a question and he literally rolled his eyes as if we were stupid. He should not be dealing with people at all never mind representing the hostel and meeting customers! Went to the bar where the bar man was slightly warmer but didn't seem to want to be there either.. If this hostel usually has a good atmosphere these guys will kill it in about 2 minutes. Would not recommend others to stay.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2017 via mobile

Best place to go before and after the trip, don't stick there! The staff was helpful and they give us good informations. Trust theme!!!!!!! And go see Alberto the best cook in San Josee! The view are amazing in the city! Be careful is chilly at night!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2017 via mobile

The bar area is not laid out very well nor is it stocked very well. The rooms have paper thin walls and feel very grotty. There's no atmosphere and the staff seem quite uninterested in the whole place. Also, the pool barely gets sun and it's very dirty. There's much nicer places in San Jose in nicer neighbourhoods for the same or lower price!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
2.3 km away
Relax Hostel
Relax Hostel
#10 of 84 in San Jose

Been to Hostel Pangea? Share your experiences!