See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 April 2016

Best thing was the location and the price was all right compared to the rest of San José, still a bit expensive. Would not stay here for long. As a couple traveling we weren't that interested in the "party"-part, and the music was really loud in the evening/night. Shared toilets and baths are okay, and they have wifi.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2016 via mobile

Two 500 dollar Go pros stolen.
When I got in they had the nerve to ask me to leave a positive review without me even spending the night too.
I had a single night in with new friends I made. The staff was explicitly rude to all my friends and pretended to not understand them when they spoke only English. Luckily I'm fluent in Spanish and the staff was at least more bearable with me but not to them. We had an accident in my room just before checkout and someone vomited and the staff came and cleaned it up. After we checked out we noticed the gopros missing. Very unlucky with the staff to say the least... Also most people there are like 40 and the walls are paper thin
Go figure

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sebas1986t
Reviewed 20 April 2016

Have stayed here a few times, and it's an OK place. The location is probably the best part - a block and a half from a big supermarket and another block and a half from Plaza de la Cultura. A few bars/restaurants around the corner.
It's a big, industrial-style place that you could honestly get lost in, but it's got a cool style to it. Staff didn't exactly go out of their way to help out, but they did answer questions when asked.
I've stayed in both the dorms and a private room. Dorms were alright, but the mattress wasn't great. On the other hand, the private room had a great bed but literally nothing else in it - not a side table, shelf or even hooks to hang things on. Showers were good. I've never actually seen anyone use the pool but it seemed clean. There was no kitchen available for guests which was frustrating.
Overall there are better places in San Jose but if you end up here it's not such a bad place to be.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 April 2016 via mobile

I stayed at pangea after staying at its sister hostel in lafortuna, costa rica, the arenal backpackers (if u go up there stay there) and let me tell you i wasnt disappointed. The guy at the reception desk was a little rough around the edges but with a few smiles he came around. The layout is a bit confusing but we all managed to find our way. The dorms are quite spacious and clean. Bathroom as well.. the bar/restaurant on the rooftop was very nice and the food was good. The pool is small but for being in the middle of the city its a great little thing to have when you want to cool off. I had cancelled a prior reservation to go here and i wished i had stayed here again on my last night before taking my flight home.. it kicked the tripon hostel's butt.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 April 2016 via mobile

This hostel was perfect for what we needed, a nights accommodation with a tour booking desk that could help us with our next step.
The restaurant / bar that is also the communal space is great and the food and service very good. The pool and outside area are a real bonus.
The hostel has a great set of "house rules" to ensure everyone's comfort and offers luggage storage and airport shuttles.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple