“A Fun Place! ”

La Bodeguita Del Medio
Ranked #37 of 745 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The most famous Cuban restaurant of the World. Live Music, Caribbean Food, and the Original Mojitos.
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

When we first arrived in Costa Rica, we went here for dinner & loved it so much we went back on our last day.

The shrimp in a hollowed out pineapple was terrific. The second time we had it, the waiter even did a flambé act for us.

We also enjoyed the chicken Cubano & the pork leg.

The restaurant is decorated with signatures on the wall, including a huge one from Ernest Hemingway. Our waiter invited us to add our names, which we did.

Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

When we arrived we weren't sure what to eat. But as soon as we came into the restaurant we were greeted as if we were regulars. They helped us choose a drink as well as food. Very friendly, clean and good environment! The was food was awesome as well as their drinks! I highly recommended this place and beware their drinks may taste like they are not strong but they will sneak up on you. Overall next time I come to Costa Rica I will always make a stop here!! ❤️ Don't forget to write on the walls!!

1  Thank Yancy M
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

Atmosphere was great on a friday night. Not many young people, mostly older groups and couples that dont stay long. Live music was a nice touch. Food came out fast and was average cuban food. Free mojitos samples were tasty but not not much alcohol.

2  Thank Aly E
Reviewed 28 May 2017

Dear LBDM,

Please. You are an established venue with historical significance but you have a reputation in CR for being crappy, which is why you're empty on a Saturday night when you should have a wait list and be full all the time, every night of the week. Your location is great, you're famous already, you have fun live music and the place itself is dope, so if you're still failing that means you need a new managerial staff. Entonces:

1) Fire your managerial staff
2) Burn your entire menu down, and use paper menus with simple options and only dishes you've mastered
3) Fire your chef and get some people in there who can offer homestyle Cuban food and the classics people will pay well for
4) Get a mixologist. Come up with new kinds of mojitos maybe- Mango ginger as well as the classics- which you should serve strong, not weak, like your menu.
5) Don't water down your mojitos because you want to save money. Just stop.
6) Do not stock your fridge with cheap wines and try to pass them off as high end.
7) Always have live music when you are open, no exceptions

Anyone on this site who says your food is good is a liar and obviously doing you a favor. I suggest you do the things on this list and you do them quickly, and then invest in some marketing to let people know you're under new management. Become known for quality.

You're close to my house and I want to like you! But everything you serve SUCKS. I keep coming in and trying, hoping you'll change. I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship. I ordered a mojito and tried THREE of your wines and they all sucked, no matter the price. Whoever is telling you to water down drinks and giving you crap wines to sell needs to be fired. It's sad because nobody likes you but I don't think it's too late for you to find some smart people to help you turn this around.

Best of luck,
Customer who wants to see you do well

Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

It's always the same, good chains in Costa Rica gets wrong when they are served by our waiters .. waiters in Costa Rica are rude and they don't like to serve people... and the food, it was expensive and regular ...