US$134
US$80
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$147
US$102
Hotel Santo Tomas(San Jose)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$70
US$68
  • Breakfast included
Cocoon Hotel(San Jose)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 25/07
US$57
US$44
US$85
US$76
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
TripOn Open House(San Jose)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$36
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 February 2015

We only stayed in San Jose for 1 night, so we were just looking for a hostel that was easy to get to, and was a good price. Stolas Hostel fit these criteria. We stayed in a private room. The guys (owners?) were friendly and spoke good english. They made us pancakes for breakfast in the morning. :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2014

I lived in stolas for 4,5 months and I really liked it. The hostel is located in the perfect place in one of the better neighborhoods of san jose. The hostel has all the luxuries you need and the guys who run it are cool and helpful people. I had a really good stay there and definitely going to return on day!

Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 December 2014

I stayed at Stolas for two weeks or so last summer and I´d say they have everything I need when I travel and then some more. Nice clean place, nice dorms with lockers, pretty comfy beds (as comfy as you get for the 12-16$ a night you pay. They have a kitchen, tv with netflix, playstation and such if you´re into that on a rainy weekday. There are supermarkets within a 500 meter radius and a couple of "Blubs" and bars as well.
The owners arranged a trip to Drake Bay which I had the pleasure of joining in on just for the price of the gas costs. I also went out with the owners a few times and they are pretty cool guys, young who just want to have fun BUT they always make sure everyone is safe etc.

All in all, if I´d go to CR and San José again I would stay there again for sure.

Happy travels!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 December 2014

I had been there a few times. Really cool place, nice people and has a good location in SJ specially if you want to move in the central area, or go downtown looking for a bus station.
I also like their t-shirts.

:P

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 October 2014

After 4 hours of online long-term apartment research and a 10 minute hike involving quite a steep hill - to a sketchier barrio of Los Yoses, with no supermarkets or basic traveller services nearby - the "4 entrepreneurs", or whomever that was running Stolis House at 1355 local time on 10/30/2014, actually had the GALL to be discriminatory in regard to who they actually GET OFF THEIR HINDQUARTERS to even greet...

I guess someone else who can deal with my "Melanin Disorder" will enjoy my private room rental payments for the next year or two.

Everything for a reason...

Maybe my guardian angels were saving me from the unmentioned online 10-minute walks to local bus stops, Mall San Pedro, any decent nightlife - actually nightlife of any kind.

At least only half your walks will be uphill...

It might mean that you do all your partying/chilling there at Stolas - No Prob - but, what if you don't fit in their clique or look like them?

Will they get of their buttocks and walk 10 feet to help YOU give them YOUR hard-earned money???

Anyway, give them a try yourself - the place sounds great on paper - even if overpriced for the local student rental market (not that they are anywhere close to the San Pedro University District)...

Have fun paying taxi fare back and forth to the supermarket every time you need some decent authentic pasta or anything remotely Western...

As for me, I'll try to find a room a little closer to civilization - minus the hill climb event - run by nicer, service-minded people, that don't prejudicially judge their books by the cover.

Happy Travels!

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo
Alberto2341729, Propietario at Stolas Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2014

November 4, 2014

Dear Mr RastaLuv, friends, Stolas guests past and present, avid travelers,

I personally enjoy reading TripAdvisor reviews but coming accross this particular review has been upsetting. I will make my best effort to dust-off my English and shed some light on these baseless accusations. I will not address your comments regarding the hostel's location in length as any hopeful traveler can Google Los Yoses and get a feel for the neighborhood and quickly dismiss your allegations. Los Yoses is one of the most emblematic neighborhoods of San José and we are privileged to be a few steps away from Véritas University, 1.5 kms away from the Universidad de Costa Rica and Universidad Iberoamericana. In a three block radius you'll find three bars, five restaurants and three convenience stores. If you wish you can facilitate your email and I will gladly send you a map with all these aforementioned spots on it.
In regards to what really makes this post troublesome, the serious accusations about the management, you offer little detail to support your claims. It is worrisome that someone would make such allegations with no proof to back them up. In your short “visit”, in which you managed to draw such conclusions about the management team, while none of us three where actually IN the hostel, you failed to notice that we have a security camera. Upon reviewing the images of the alleged time of your arrival we found no footage of a visitor but instead saw many of our guests. When questioned, none of the guests from the video footage recalled a new visitor stopping by. Furthermore, our front desk employee, Martina Diaz, who was at work during that time period does not recall attending any new visitors.
It is not my intention for this reply to become a he-said-she-said situation but it makes me wonder what the underlying motivation behind this review is, as all the evidence points towards you not ever being physically in the hostel. Also, as I mentioned earlier, you are making very offensive allegations about people that you did not even meet. How can you conclude that the management is “racist” or that the hostel is a “clique” when you did not socialize with anybody? It almost seems like the prejudice was running the other way around.
What pains me the most about this review is how far from the truth it actually is. Since we opened Stolas we have made every effort to make everybody who comes through our door feel at home. I truly believe that we have achieved and continue to achieve this goal. Our almost 300 guests can attest to that. The reviews on this page were all hard earned. It is not by chance that after our first year in business Stolas Hostel was listed in the Lonely Planet travel guide. It has been our service-oriented mindset that has made Stolas one of the most sought after student-housing residences in Costa Rica, with requests coming in up to a year in advance. I do not want to come across as cocky, and far from it, I am extremely proud that through the love we put into our work, people who come to Stolas, regardless of their race, sexual orientation, gender or physical disability arrive at a safe haven full of friends who in time become family

Dear Mr RastaLuv, if you are out there, I extend an invitation for you to come back to Stolas so we can prove you wrong. Hope to hear from you soon.

Alberto Pastor