Lowest prices for your stay
US$76
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
Hotels.com
SAVE US$11
PricelineUS$76
eDreamsUS$76
HurbUS$86
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 January 2020 via mobile

This hotel is in a dangerous neighborhood (which I was warned about by the staff) with nothing else around. They also don't actually have a fitness center, and their "restaurant" - which is actually just a small kitchen where any staff member cooks mediocre food - was closed most of the days I was there. They keep the hotel locked down so you can't get in or out without someone to open the gate, and I was concerned that I might get stuck outside given that there were nights I didn't see much staff around. Some of their rooms don't have windows to the outside or safe drinking water (and bottled water wasn't provided). It's cool that they have a lot of art, but it's definitely not family-friendly (seriously there's a giant painting of a topless woman as soon as you walk in). I generally choose adventure over luxury when I travel but lying about amenities is unacceptable. I cut my trip several days short as a result.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
Management response:Responded 23 February 2021

Dear Deena R, we are very sorry for your bad experience at our hotel, we will take your comment into account to improve and make the necessary changes to offer a luxury stay.
We hope at some point your opinion about us changes and you can stay with us.
Greetings
Miriam Alvarez

Reviewed 25 June 2019

I spent 10 days at Hotel Casa Roland. This is a really interesting, friendly, and nice place to stay. The breakfast is really really excellent and the staff are really helpful and friendly. The owners have collected so much amazing art. The design of the hotel is like a home, with many different living rooms and public areas that are full of art. Most of the art is tasteful, but there some paintings that seem sexist or inappropriate for kids.

Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2019

Hotel has a lot of character and was very clean. We enjoyed the personalized service at the breakfast (included in the price) and the staff was very friendly and helpful... even phoning a recommended restaurant to ensure they could meet the dietary restrictions of one of the children we were traveling with. It's great if you're staying in downtown San Jose.

Date of stay: May 2019
HotelCasaRoland, Gerente at Hotel Casa Roland San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2019

Good Morning
we are happy to know that your stay was pleasant.

Yesie Miller

Reviewed 2 May 2019

We only spent one night here and wish we could have stayed longer. We need at least 1/2 a day just to check out all the amazing, original art that is hung throughout the hotel. Everyone was friendly, from the desk clerk to Cookie, the night guard.
The rooms were very clean, comfortable and secure. Secured parking was available too.
An amazing value in San Jose!

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Dawn H

Good Morning
As we are pleased to know that your stay was pleasant.
Thanks to your visit and your comments we make things better every day.

I showed kuki your comment and he was very happy, he asked me to say thank you
Yesie Miller

Reviewed 18 April 2019

Even that Casa Roland is located at some $20 taxi fare away from the SJ airport, (as we've stayed there already -11 and 12 years before-) we decided that it's worth the effort to get over there, and weren't disappointed. Both the premises and the personnel has aged graciously (at least two, if not three of the receptionists were the same, what a nice surprise!). One of the owners leave in the hotel himself, which says a lot. Hotel is outstandingly decorated with a plethora of paintings, statues and flower pots. One can tell that an architect, or a good interior designer, has put his touch on that! Rooms is large and the two queen size beds inside (in this instance) are comfortable. You also get wifi and a small seif for valuables. Staff is swift, friendly and helpful. We had no water the next day in the morning, but they fixed the problem within a reasonable time. The breakfast hours (7:30-10AM) and the meal offers are generous. The only drawback was that the neigbour's dogs from across the street have a habit to bark and quarrel in between them each and every evening and early mornings (we've been there for two nights), and the owners don't seem to be bothered by the very hysterical and loud barking of their "three perros". It took me to get on the balcony and address the dogs properly, (in their own language, and also some selected swearing from Transylvania), in order to finally cool them down, the second evening. Luckily I've had been owing and also having had trained dogs... in a previous life! Funny enough (!?) the lady owner seems to have understood "that language" as well, since she finally took the dogs inside, or to the back yard, after I've addressed (apparently) properly, that local community of beings...:) Commuting to downtown will draw you back another $10/trip, but it's worth it. Museum of gold and especially the Museum of jade are must visiting. Also, "taking the pulse" of the downtown SJ activity, is a nice part of the traveling experience, over all. BTW, the regulars at the hotel (coming back many times, for many years now...) are also interesting characters with stories to tell. If in luck, some might be even great ones. Found the 4000 colones price of the can (which I/we "hate"!) of Bavaria beer at the bar in the hall, a bit too much, at least compared to Quepos where it goes in each and every restaurant at 2000 colones (at the most) for a bottle (which I/we love!). As almost everywhere else, draft beer from the tap, wasn't a choice...

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cancelon.com

As we are happy to know that your stay was pleasant. sorry again for the noise of the dog,s.
Thanks to your visit and your comments we make things better every day.

I think skip recommended you HOTEL CASA ROLAND R?
YESIE MILLER