Hotel Santo Tomas(San Jose)(Great Value!)
US$61
US$52
US$101
Balmoral Hotel(San Jose)
US$136
US$93
Cocoon Hotel(San Jose)(Great Value!)
US$42
US$181
US$146
US$78
US$150
US$108
US$95
TripOn Open House(San Jose)(Great Value!)
US$40
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed one night here with a group of students. I didn't experience the loud noise that some previous visitors complained about (though we were there on a weeknight), but I was really disappointed with the quality of the rooms. They really need to be updated and improved. For example, in two of our rooms the doors wouldn't close properly, and one kept swinging open all night long. For this same price, you can do a lot better. Also, the management was not very accommodating to our group's needs - we paid in advance for a boxed breakfast so we could make an early flight, but all we got was a bottle of juice and a bag of crackers.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I was travelling with two friends and was referred here when our regular apartment hotel was full. Overall our experience was good with only one real issue.
The staff at reception were very friendly and helpful. They always had fresh coffee available in reception. They provided wakeup calls and arranged transport for us when requested.
The rooms were a bit dated as reported. I haven't seen that dark wood motif for a lot of years. The carpet was also a bit worn. But the beds (one king, two singles) were comfortable with very good quality sheets. The room looked and smelled clean. Towels were changed daily and there was plenty of hot water. The TV and A/C both worked well. Our view was limited to say the least but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room anyway.
There was no refrigerator in the room but we had an ice machine just down the hall. The strong box was handy though a bit pricey at $3 a night (though split three ways this was less an issue!).
The pool was extremely well kept and located just next to the bar/restaurant. Breakfast was included with our room and the staff were extremely nice and the service was good. Three choices of breakfast were available and all we adequate. A bit of fruit added would have made them excellent.
We only used the pool but the other recreation facilities looked excellent.
The only real negative was the noise. The disco upstairs thumped away until the early morning hours. At about 0530, the commuter train across the street starts running. If you are a light sleeper this will be an issue.
The location in Sabana is not too inconvenient unless you want to be downtown all the time. Its only 5 minutes to Paseo Colon which has lots of restaurant choices and there are any number of Tico-run Sodas in the area. Walking westward down the street, parallel to Parque Sabana provides a number of other restaurant and entertainment choices.

Room Tip: ask for something far from the disco.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed just one night for an emergency. You shouldn't just stay there more.

The place is like they haven't do any update since 1970's. The design is so poor that you feel like in the cheapest motel in US.

The "King size" bed was just 2 single beds together, so just think about how was my sleep quality. It was just POOR!

Then, in my bath, there was a COCKROACH dead!! It was just GROSS!!!

This is a ONLY EMERGENCIES HOTEL.

Room Tip: There are not good rooms. Sorry.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I am sorry to say staying at this hotel was a horrific experience. As mentioned by other travelers, the rooms were run down, but they did appear clean. There was plenty of room for two people and luggage. My complaint stems from the fact that the hotel is located right next to a busy street. Regular traffic noise I can deal with, but this was far above and beyond regular street noise. It seems that the locals use the stretch of road right next to the hotel to street race. I am not talking just driving fast...I am talking straight out of the movie "The Fast and the Furious"! The cars/trucks even had neon - just like the movie. The start line was right next to the hotel and the street wraps around two sides of the hotel. This nightmare all started about 11:00 p.m. and lasted till 4:00 a.m. Squealing tires, racing engines, the noise was extreme and non-stop. I kept hoping that the hotel staff would call the police; but obviously nothing was done. It amazed me this was happening on a Thursday night. I have never been so frustrated with a hotel. I would not suggest staying at this hotel unless you would like a ringside seat to Costa Rica street racing.

Room Tip: I don't believe there was a room not effected by the street racing.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rascleberry
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Stayed here with a student group. The location is not ideal for traveling with students as there was nothing close we could walk to safely. The rooms were clean, spare, and a little dated. Although we didn't have time to use it, the pool looked clean and was isolated from the street, which was beneficial since this is a downtown location. I wouldn't have a problem staying here with a group, but wouldnt choose it if I was traveling alone or with my spouse.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family