All reviews a large gift shop costa rica local artists quaint hotel inner courtyard nooks and crannies chain hotels rooms are large welcome drink separate nights the staff was friendly and helpful walk around couple of nights common areas one night stay hot water felt very safe
Reviewed 13 December 2015 via mobile

This hotel is built in old colonial style and has a real welcoming feel about it. Set in the centre of old town nothing is too far to walk and felt safe even at night. The hotel has a cosy feel about it with lots of antiques and objects de art scattered around. The room was clean of a good size and has a comfy night's sleep.
Staff were very friendly and helpful and we ate in the hotel restaurant having typical Costa Rica fayre rice, beans,chicken and salad which was very good . Breakfast was a buffet choice of hot and cold and was very good. The hotel had also decked the place out with Christmas decorations which was a welcoming touch. Hope to stay again soon.

Date of stay: December 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2015

The hotel is conveniently located to the major sites in San Jose and has free parking in a secure area. The rooms are all different and there are a lot of interesting features in the hotel (tile work, statutes, old machines, etc.). The room were clean, but the sheets were worn thin, the pillows were old and stained, the bedspread seemed like something your grandparents or great grandparents would have had on their bed, and the bathroom had icky soap in a dispenser. One night here was fine, they really could charge a little more (room and breakfast was around $60) and buy some newer furniture and sheets. Even a trip back to the 70’s can feel a little funky!

Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2015

Don Carlos is a charming colonial style hotel which has been made by joining three century old town houses together. It has an old world charm about it that would be hard to beat with enclosed atriums and a collection of art and artifacts to match the surroundings. The rooms were of adequate size and were clean. The situation is ideal for exploring central San Jose on foot and we did a self guided walk on foot on our last morning in Costa Rica that took in most of the sights. The restaurant is OK for breakfast and serves good lunches, snacks and drinks, but there are better places in town for an evening meal. Having read some other reviews you should not come here if you are looking for a mid-atlantic 5 star impersonal palace but if you want a bit of history with your accommodation then this is the place for you.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2015

I expected more from this place so I was disappointed by my experience there. With the exception of Steve, the night receptionist, don't come here for great service. Here are some of the issues I experienced:
On arrival, I was shown to a very dark room with no external window (there was a window facing the wall of the small courtyard). I was told there was nothing else available. I had requested a room with a view, so I explained that I was not satisfied with the cave room. Suddenly another room with view appeared, and very reluctantly the receptionist changed me to that room. The second room seemed ready to check in, but I was told I had to wait until later in the afternoon unless I wanted the first dark room - that was available for immediate check in. I didn't argue and went to the souvenir store where I was told by the cleaning staff that the room I was changed to was indeed cleaned and ready for check in now. In short, the morning receptionist was not being sincere and that's never a good idea.

When I came back in the evening, my things were not in my room. I was not allowed to enter the room before paying in full in advance, which has not happened to me elsewhere. Not a welcoming policy.

On departure, I had asked for some bread to take with me as I was leaving before breakfast time and I thought the evening staff had agreed. There was nothing waiting other than the common coffee thermos by the door. The "included breakfast" window is too short, by the way, 7-9.
So, with this experience, I can't recommend this place.

Room tip: Very dark rooms facing the inner courtyard on the first floor. Very loud in the early morning.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 10 November 2015

so we ha lunch at the restaurant of this hotel and checked their prices per night online which said to be $58. when we went to the front desk and spoke with the man there, he said that the online price did not matter and that we had to pay $80 plus tax if we wanted to stay the night there!!! he was rude and lied to us arguing that because the "high season had started on that day (nov 01) lol, he had to charge a different price than the online price! we left the place and booked one block down the street fro $45 per night.