Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
PricelineUS$85
eDreamsUS$59
Agoda.comUS$59
TripadvisorUS$59
Hotels.com
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 December 2019

We’ve been going to Hotel El Maragato for over a decade. WARNING! There’s a thief with access to the room keys. On Nov 29th, 2019, we locked our room and went to dinner. At 3am, I discovered my MacBook Pro missing as we went through airport security. The only time it was out of my sight is when we went to dinner.

I alerted the night clerk immediately. He checked the room and found nothing. It’s now Dec 11th, and I’m STILL waiting to hear from the manager. I’ve called repeatedly. I'm always told that the manager will view the security footage, then contact me.

Meanwhile, a charge appeared on my credit card from UNIVERSIDAD FORMARTE SAN JOSE. This is an online trade school. (Huh?!) It’s owned by El Maragato’s financial advisor. The amount is the same as our hotel bill. Are they trying to hide their revenue?

Overall, the hotel is good for the price and location. Bring earplugs. The inside rooms away from the main street are quieter, but you’ll still hear noise all night long. There’s hot water, but use it when the other rooms on your floor are vacant. Otherwise, you’ll get a trickle every time someone else turns it on.

The staff has been very nice on the majority of our visits, including long-time manager Daniel Venega. (Although he was rude when we had a complaint a few years ago.) Regardless, if he won’t view the security footage to catch their thief, more valuables will be stolen. For my part, my laptop was the most valuable thing I owned. I’ll never go there again!

Date of stay: November 2019
1  Thank CotoBrus
Reviewed 6 November 2019

When I was looking for a room for San Jose CR I used the filters and checked airport shuttle. The night before I was to arrive I called to arrange for pickup at airport and was told the shuttle cost was $65.00 for round trip. When I asked the guy why I should pay $65.00 for a $ 52.00 room he just laughed. I canceled and stayed near the airport with free shuttle

Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed 14 August 2019 via mobile

Hotel El Maragato is fine if you're looking for somewhere close to the centre of San Jose for a night or two, it's literally 100m from Teatro Nacional. The photos on booking.com are not reflective of what you get, call it artistic licence! The rooms are tired and souless although the price is good for the location. The breakfast is ok at best. Aside from the location the best thing about this hotel are the staff who are very friendly and helpful

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2019 via mobile

Hotel staff at the reception was clearly high on drugs. Had to pay upfront. The staff member had us wait for 25mins while he was playing on his Nintendo right in front of us. He almost broke my credit card while smashing it into the machine several times. Had to do it myself in the end because the staff was too high to do so. After we paid we were told that there was no running water and it would take half an hour to fix it. In the end, we didn’t have running water for the entire stay and we weren’t compensated for it in any way(?!). (Was that the reason why we had to pay upfront?) The hotel room was extremely dirty and smelly (sweat and smoke). DO NOT BOOK This hotel. Zero value for money

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank sjorsacp
Reviewed 24 March 2019 via mobile

Spent 7 nights but literally just for sleeping and showering—I would be out early in the AM and back late at night after touring/sightseeing—and exactly for that is what this place is good for.

I found the service good and the guys at the reception helpful. The one in the morning shift (sorry can’t remember his name) was very friendly and also helped booking my taxi back to the airport.

I decided not to pay for their breakfast and instead went to cafes in the area to experience more of the city and Costa Rican eateries as it’s a good location for exploring. There’s actually a grocery store right around the block turning left, which is a plus.

My room was on the inner side of the building, 7th floor, so I wasn’t affected much by the street noise, except for a weekend night or two but all went quiet around 11, I think—so didn’t really bother me. During weekdays the area was dead by 10. Their AC did make a weird noise so I ended up using ear plugs for that.

The room was spacious, had basic furnishing, including a desk if you need one, a mini fridge, ice bucket and cups but no coffee maker. There was a safe but no instructions on how to use/program it. I could’ve asked but with the inconvenience opted to leave my passport and some money in the safe of my friend’s room who was staying at the Exe since it was a much nicer hotel and had a safer vibe.

The walls and carpet were stained and my bedding had cigarette burns, which made my room feel icky. I understand this is a 2-star hotel and I did want a budget room as I was staying solo but still cleanliness should not be compromised and for that I would look elsewhere if returning to SJO.

Given the price (payed $42/night, would not pay more than $50) and use I had for the room, it was a decent stay.

Date of stay: March 2019