Lowest prices for your stay
US$85
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
Barcelo.com
Hotels.comUS$85
FindHotelUS$88
Prestigia.comUS$103
2,516 results
All reviews caravan tour premium level costa rica buffet restaurant tennis courts room service nice hotel pool area free airport shuttle tour group pollo hammocks gym tours taxis cab downtown
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 February 2021

I booked and stayed at the Barcelo for two nights through Hotel Tonight. The service of the staff (front desk, I had with two different) shouldn't even be called service. No help with rebooking, offering way more expensive rates, knowing I couldn't get the cheaper rate after 12am anymore. Asked for laundry of my cloth and they charged $75,00 without blinking (did this in many other hotels worldwide, never got ripped off anywhere else). TV: pre SD - like the rooms: 90's or earlier. Restaurants charge US or EUR prices, with a tenth of the quality. Since this is a chain hotel - Barcelo should be embarrassed to call this their hotel in the capital... Way too expensive for this house - More chains are around: SAS, aloft, DoubleTree, Marriot Hacienda - etc. Choose wisely!!!

Room tip: different Hotel
Date of stay: February 2021
Channel Manager, Propietario at Barcelo San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2021

Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing our Barceló San Jose for your stay, we are sorry to read that you are not totally satisfied with the experience. We have taken good note of his comment about the service offered during your stay and we extend our sincere apologies if this time you have not felt properly attended to. Do not doubt that your comments will be studied to avoid this type of impressions on our clients in the future. On the other hand, we will review our security videos at the time of your check out to make sure of the commented situation; we are pleased to offer you a special treatment for the next time you visit us, you can contact our general manager directly to get this benefit. Once again, thank you for your visit and constructive criticism, we hope to have the opportunity to regain your trust in the next time.

Barceló San José

Reviewed 14 February 2021

Great view and happy, professional staff, especially Marcia in the Anfora restaurant! The cleaning is wonderful and constant. Which is VERY reassuring! The pool area and the garden is quite nice, well kept.

However, we were disappointed there was NO buffet and our room décor was very outdated. The hotel has a view but its not walker friendly.

Date of stay: February 2021
Review collected in partnership with Barcelo Hotels & Resorts
Channel Manager, Propietario at Barcelo San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2021

Dear Guest:

In Barceló we strongly believe that there is always room for improvement and your comments will assist our team in their continuous efforts aimed at meeting our guests' expectations, therefore we greatly appreciate the time you took out of your day to share your constructive critics

Best Regards,

Reviewed 6 October 2020 via mobile

I have stayed here every time I visit Costa Rica, usually 2X per year. As a single female traveler I find this hotel to be safe & secure. The rooms are comfortable, wifi is good, free breakfast buffet has a lot of choices, excellent free airport transportation. The gym facilities and pool are very nice. They have some lovely walking trails with beautiful fauna.
My only negative, is that the outdoor bar/restaurant is hit or miss depending on the cook. Check-in can sometimes be problematic. First time they couldn’t find my reservation. Last time I had to wait for my room for 90minutes. In general I find this hotel to suit my needs and will continue to stay here during my travels to Costa Rica.

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Relax76825
Channel Manager, Propietario at Barcelo San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2020

Dear Guest:
We always find it nice to read that our guests went home with great holiday memories and we are very grateful for the time and effort you spent to share your personal experience at our Barceló San José hotel with us and Tripadvisor readers.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 22 August 2020

Beautiful property with nice, spacious rooms at a pretty affordable price. The hotel has a nice pool area with an outdoor restaurant beside it. There were two or three more restaurants inside the hotel, a bar and a nice gift shop. Big breakfast buffet that was included in the price of the room. The service was great - the phone in my room did not work (I wanted to order room service) and they fixed it within 30 minutes, on Christmas Day. Free airport shuttle.

Date of stay: August 2020
3  Thank SaraTyson49200

Dear Guest:

Firstly we would like to thank you for the lovely review you shared following your recent visit to our Barceló hotel and are delighted to read that we were able to match your holiday expectations.

Reviewed 14 April 2020

This is very much a busy come and go, short stay city hotel. My room was comfortable and had everything I needed. Restaurant and lifts were busy, especially at breakfast. It was a bit of an oasis with nice pool area and well stocked gardens, surrounded by busy highways. I started and ended my holiday here. More than adequate.

Date of stay: January 2020
2  Thank Sally H
Channel M, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Barcelo San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2020

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent holiday experience among us, our main goal being to ensure we keep on delivering unforgettable holiday experiences to our guests, your comments are crucial in this process therefore we highly value your time and constructive critics

Best Regards,