1,071 results
All reviews costa rica hot tub recommend hotel small pool hotel owner exercise room within easy walking distance ceiling fan old mansion few blocks an oasis central market felt safe heart of san jose free breakfast national theatre rooms are large
Reviewed 10 January 2017

There was confusion over our reservation and the staff were quick to fix it. The owner was extremely nice and helpful. We also booked our rental car through them and received a brand new 4X4 at much less than the large international rental places. We would recommend this place to anyone visiting San Jose.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are nicest!
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2017

Hi Hilary, Those were some crazy days during the Christmas and New Years week. I was really happy we could sort everything out and we were able to get you a rental car that worked so well. We assist many travelers with day tours, rental car and the like, just email us. That was cool the car only had like 31 miles on it. ( Sweet ) ! Great having you stay and hope to see you again in the future. Thank you both so much for such an outstanding review.
Happy Trails

Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

The former grandeur of the 110 year old mansion is present in the 12 ft ceilings, rich mahogany floors and paneling, and colorful tiles. However, the 3 different rooms we stayed in had only windows on to the hallway which felt claustrophobic after awhile, the bedding was ratty and dated, and the atmosphere was dark and dank. The staff was mixed in knowledge of the area and things to do, but generally convivial. Walking distance to the main cultural attractions was convenient, but nearby quality dining options are very limited. In the end, we felt that the price wasn't justified and moved to a charming boutique hotel in Barrio Escalante for half the price, triple the charm, and multiple excellent dining options.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CynthiaL2000
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2017

Hi Cynthia, You stayed in our economy room the lowest priced in the hotel. At $57.99 including the free breakfast, booking on the hotels direct web site. Hard to believe you found a Boutique hotel , with a jacuzzi, swimming pool and free breakfast for $28.99, I doubt it. As we have 5 different room types to fit different budgets, I suggest the next time for just a few dollars more try one of our new rooms upstairs , some even with balcony and Volcano views. The ceilings are 15 foot high and not 12 and as far as restaurants in the area , being in the center of San Jose there are many , many of them and different types as well. I always suggest you ask the front desk staff for suggestions , hotel staff doesn't eat fancy dinners near their work place, they are not on vacation, but as you being a seasoned travele knew this . Please use their info , supported by Yelp and Trip Advisor as well. I hope this is helpful to prospective travelers to San Jose. Thank you for your review

Reviewed 5 January 2017

This hotel was perfect for our trip to San Jose. Connected with all tour companies and the staff was amazingly helpful and friendly. The location was also perfect, just on the edge of downtown, close to everything of interest!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2017

Hola Gabriale, Wonderful having you stay and allowing us to assist you with all of your tour planning . Yes, our location is just right for going out several times in a day with out having to walk too far. Then in the evening a nice hot soak in the Jacuzzi. Being only four blocks from Central Avenue and on Avenue 7,just before it goes steeply downhill, a real problem for older travelers or if you just don't want to burn that much energy in the sun. All of my staff is English speaking and available 24/ 7 to assist with your travel needs. Thank you for such a great review.
Warmest Regards

Reviewed 2 January 2017

The hotel is a renovated mansion that was all done by the owner, an American Expat who has been there more than 20+ years. The owner, Thomas, is a wealth of knowledge and is around for guests to interact with regularly. In that sense, it feels a bit like a B&B. Breakfast is adequate and is served to order pool side. My children loved the pool, jacuzzi and slide. It is clean and I saw them empty and scrub the hot tub during my visit. There is gym. the hotel is located within walking distance of the Jade Museum, Gold museum and Central Market. There are plenty of near by restaurants. If you are at all interested in renovation, chat the owner up. Very interesting how he renovated the place. As our passports were stolen, Thomas was also a great reseource on how to go about getting new ones. Seems there isn't a problem that he doesn't know how to work through.

Room Tip: Room 30 was quite nice.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank MarineDC2017

Hola Marine, Hey l I remember you guys ! So happy that passport problem went so smoothly. I have been here counseling travelers now for over 27 years. More than a million travelers have passed thru the doors and boy do I have stories. This place is almost like the Great Budapest Hotel !! Your review is so well written and informative and I really thank you for that. Everyone is welcom to chat me up, I try hard to meet and greet everyone in the mornings at breakfast from 7 to 9 am. Hoping I can see everyone again in the future.
Happy Trails

Reviewed 2 January 2017

The complementary breakfast was a blessing. The location in town was spot on. Wither you are taking day trips from here every day, or just staying here after|before airporting, this place offers ample respite.

Room Tip: sqeaky floor boards. Ask for an isolated room if possible.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank CharlieG69

Hi Charlie, I love that word (respite) , my entire idea here is to help create lasting Costa Rica travel memories. Your comment is short, but spot on and I thank you for that. Wonderful you enjoyed and appreciated the Free Hot Cooked Breakfast. We have been doing it now for over 27 years, can't believe it, came for three months and look what happened !
Warmest Regards Charlie