4 people are viewing this hotel
Free cancellation until 15/05/21
Free cancellation until 16/05/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Hotels.com
Free cancellation until 15/05/21
eDreamsUS$143
PricelineUS$143
Lol.travelUS$167
All reviews fifth floor chef antonio costa rica breakfast chef frosted glass historic hotel national theatre presidential suite front desk lady gold museum central market amazing hotel free happy hour wonderful stay place to stay center of san jose restaurants within walking distance
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We flew into SJO after 30 hours of flying from Hong Kong. Stayed here one night before driving to Guanacaste. Lovely central hotel in beautiful colonial building next to Teatro Nacional. We got a good rate USD118 on booking.con and they upgraded us to junior suite. Suite faced inwards but not complaining coz it was a complimentary upgrade. Beautiful breakfast. Very friendly and attentive staff especially the chef Antonio. Very covid safe. All guests must wear a mask properly and disposable gloves to get food from buffet. Close to airport so good place to stay for 1-2 nights if you are flying into/out of SJO. Also good for city break to explore city.

Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Johanna Rodriguez, Ventas at Gran Hotel Costa Rica Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Guest:

Thank you for staying at Gran Hotel Costa Rica Curio by Hilton and for your nice comments. We are very happy to know that you found a beautiful breakfast and a good place to stay. Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Yes. I paid $10 for 2 black coffees, $5 each. Can you believe it? I will never go to this place again, never

The place is nice but it´s absurd what they charge for beverages. I deeply regret going to this place

Date of stay: April 2021
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank tarigax

Dear guest, we truly apologize for not meeting your expectations in our prices. We hope to have the opportunity to provide all the excelent services our guests enjoy everyday.

Reviewed 1 April 2021

We stayed here the night before our flight home at the end of our holiday. I originally booked it because it was a Hilton property and a good price. But it was amazing! The staff from the moment we pulled up until we left was amazing (even making sure we were well taken-care of with our dinner plans off-site). What we loved most was the physical hotel itself. They had recently done a full renovation and masterly recaptured the Art Deco of its early years BUT had a modern twist on it. The bed was very comfortable and the bedroom was quite sizable. The only warning is if you stay here with a roommate (I.e. - NOT your significant other), the "walls" to the bathroom are glass. They are VERY well-frosted but you can still see figures in the shower and toilet. Just a warning. Every other aspect (including the breakfast buffet) were fabulous. We'll definitely use it (and recommend it) for future trips.

2  Thank Jonathan S
LUDWING DIAZ, Ventas at Gran Hotel Costa Rica Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Guest:

Thank you for staying at Gran Hotel Costa Rica Curio by Hilton and for your nice comments. We are very happy to know that you found ours an amazing hotel. Looking forward to your return.

Reviewed 31 March 2021

I travel all around South America and Europe staying at 4 and 5 Star Hotels and Resorts. The Gran Hotel in San Jose, Costa Rica is at the Top of my favorites if not the Top.

Had some business that kept me here after I was ready to go home. The staff knew I was leaving and then knew that changed.

It started with Cesar reaching out to me and for me to make my extended stay as much like home as possible. Cesar went above and beyond and let all staff know I was staying. The folks at the concierge even called my room to let me know if I needed anything they were there for me.

Concierge:
Hernan
Ruben
Alex
Jose *
Juaquin
Fernando
They all refer to me as my first name or Mr. Wow,

Front Desk:
Lester (Front desk Manger Outstanding)
Cesar *
Hannaliah

Fantastic service. Printing emails and helping me handle my business and Costa Rican affairs. Wow ll

Then the restaurant. My Costa Rican GF has a memory as a child makes her emotional. We seen the piano while it was not being Played and on a Sunday evening when she was coming for dinner, Salvador, Connor and Wenceslao arranged for the piano player to play for 2 hours and set our table up next to the piano. Unbelievable. Like family would.

Restaurant Staff:
Evening:

Salvador *
Connor
Wenceslao

Breakfast:
Anything I wanted. Every time I left the breakfast they made sure I had a cofee to go just the way I like it.

Kevar
Marcella
Roy

And of course although I never met him we did communicate Once and I have to say that all of this great service by these Wonderful People is due to the General Manager being very good at running a business. Hat's off to: Berny Cascante for running a tight ship.

Very Impressed!! Wowllll!!!!!

Room tip: "The rooms on the south side are quieter" "The corner suites are bigger and sunnier"
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear guest

It was a pleasure having you as our guest at the Gran Hotel Costa Rica Curio by Hilton. We are glad to know how much you appreciated our hospitality, and for taking the time to share your experiences with us. Thank you for your wonderful review and we hope to see you soon!

With warm regards,

Reviewed 27 March 2021

Hotel is in a great location to explore the main downtown sites in walking distance—Central Market, Artist Market, Theater and museums. About 30-60 minute drive to airport depending on traffic. Exceptional customer service. Breakfast buffet included an omelette bar and a view of the mountains around the town.

Review collected in partnership with Curio – A Collection by Hilton

Dear Guest:

Thank you for staying at Gran Hotel Costa Rica Curio by Hilton and for your nice comments. We are very happy to know that you found a great location. Looking forward to your next visit.