All reviewshot waterclose walkring a bellsan pedro mallcable tvbus stopcentral americaclean hotela lot of noiseone nightnice roomgood sizepolloernestosupermarketdowntownwifi
Reviewed 8 January 2016

Good hostel, the staff was very helpful in discussing tour options. The location is a bit far from downtown, but there are 350 colones (less than a dollar) busses that take you right to the central plaza.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BHCO, Propietario at Boutique Hotel Casa Orquideas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2016

Dear Guest: Thank you for your review. We are located just 9 blocks away from the start of down town, a nice stroll that takes only 10 minutes through a historical neighborhood, or you can take a bus and five minutes later it will drop you off right in the middle of downtown.
It has been a pleasure to host you and we all hope to see you back in the near future.
Best regards

Reviewed 28 December 2015

I went on a trip through my university for a study abroad trip and myself and classmates stayed here for about a week. This hotel is centralized in a great part of San Jose; near bars, great restaurants, Starbucks (right across the street), and a mall. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. They also made great meals that they served to us. Although we did not have any air conditioning, we had high powered fans that made us comfortable during our stay. Our room was large, always cleaned (as well as the property) and very comfortable.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BHCO, Propietario at Boutique Hotel Casa Orquideas, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2016

Dear Mariam: Thanks for your soporting review. You're right: Location is among our highlights, right in the middle of the gastronomic district (where we have the best restaurants in Town) and close to very popular bars, everything in walking distance.

It is always a pleasure to host a group like yours and I hope to see you back on vacation in near future.

Reviewed 11 December 2015

Stayed here for a total of 3 nights before and after a 2 week tour around Costa Rica. I arrived at about 7:30pm (after taking 3 hours to get through immigration at the airport!). The person on reception (I think his name is Ernesto) was incredibly helpful. I was tired and jet lagged and didn't want to venture out on my own for dinner so he called and arranged a Chinese take away for me. When it arrived he brought it up to my room with a plate and cutlery. He was always very helpful with directions etc. On my return he happily printed out boarding passes for me. At first sight, the hotel location didn't appear great but we discovered it was less than a 1km walk to the central sights and there is also a street full of bars and restaurants less than 10 minutes walk away (Calle 33). Plus a great supermarket about 5 mins walk away. I had a nice room (20) with windows overlooking the small garden. I think this might have been one of the better rooms - some people I was travelling with said their only window was in the bathroom. It was also on a noisy street so earplugs were helpful. There was a fridge and aircon in my room (though there would have been an extra charge if I had used the aircon but I didn't need it).
Breakfast was good - the usual Costa Rican offering of rice and beans, eggs, fruit etc. As well as coffee, there was hot water and assorted tea bags available. All in all very happy with my stay and would recommend.

Room Tip: Room 20 is nice
Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Janet H
BHCO, Propietario at Boutique Hotel Casa Orquideas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2015

Dear Janet: Thank you very much for your honest and sincere review. We appreciate your recommendations. Just one thing to do it clearer: All our rooms has a window, some with a view to our garden, some to our inner patios, two of them with a view of the street in front of us, but of course the ones with a view to our garden are among the favorites of the nature lovers. For breakfast we have several options although the typical "Gallo Pinto" is the most popular. I love to know you tried it and liked it!
Two weeks are not enough to get to know Costa Rica. I hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 22 November 2015

This hotel, on Central Avenue, is very close to shops and restaurants and many of the places we wanted to go. To some we walked; otherwise taxis and buses pass frequently.
Hotel service was excellent. Staff members go out of their way to accommodate. Knowing Spanish would certainly help, however, as not all staff members are conversant in English.
Despite a language problem, we found people very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear guest: Your review fill us of pride. Just one comment about it: we do not "go our of our way to accommodate" our guests, we simply follow that way all the time. We all hope to see you around once more in the near future.

Reviewed 17 November 2015

I stayed here for two nights, one at each end of my Costa Rican visit. I was charged $10 to ba able to check in to my room early, although it was ready.
Although on a busy main road, the hotel is set back far enough so the traffic was not a problem.
The room was quirkily decorated, and clean, but very dark, with a window half obscured by sheeting outside, and a view of a wall and roof. Loud noise from the neighbours' TV was heard.
Only cold water was available in the room, no warm showers.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BHCO, Propietario at Boutique Hotel Casa Orquideas, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2015

Dear Guest: Thank you for taking some time to do your review of your experience with us. First of all our policy is clear about our check in: 2 pm or after and check out is at noon. You arrived more than 4 hours ahead that time. To be fair you should have also mentioned that you and your friend, on your departure date since you had late evening flight, we allowed you several hours free of charge delay to do your check out .
We have a very good hot water service. Some of our reviews in Tripadvisor make mention of that. The day of your stay something unusual should have happened. We could had done something about it if you had told it to our front desk staff.

We would love to have you in our hotel again in the near future.