“A lovely atmosphere, friendly staff and good food”
Review of Cafe de los Deseos

Cafe de los Deseos
Ranked #47 of 842 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: A small coffee shop with a nice eclectic decoration... in the middle of the city. A different option for the traveler who's looking for a quiet place with people, music, good drinks and tasty food. Serving tapas, pizza, beer, wine and sangria.
Reviewed 24 March 2017 via mobile

We visited Cafe de los Deseos today with the intention of relaxing and having a light meal after a good walk around the centre of San Jose and quickly realised we had one of those charming spots it's good to chill out in.

There are two main areas inside, one with a number of tables and a second that offers some booths and looked a little more comfortable. That said we chose a table for two by the window and had a really enjoyable time.

The menu included soft and alcoholic drinks with about 6 cocktails including 'Fresa Electrica' that my wife tried and declared 'amazing' while I had a rose coloured ale that was really nice.

Meals ranged from light bites such as a club sandwich through a small range of dishes including gajos horneados, with potato wedges that I had and enjoyed. The food we had was well prepared and served promptly. We don't yet speak Spanish and the staff had limited English but we didn't have a problem and we used an online translator and the cafe's wifi to help decide what we wanted. My desert of torta chilena was identified as Chilean Cake and turned out to be a sweet and moreish confection of many layers of a kind of caramel sandwiched between a kind of biscuit and coated with a creamy layer sprinkled with hundreds and thousands. Probably loaded with calories and extremely tasty.

There are a couple of tables outside but it's close to the rail track and trains use their horns frequently as they occasionally rumble past but somehow it just seems to add to the quaintness of the place and we just loved it's relaxed atmosphere. A great spot to chill out.

Reviewed 13 March 2017

I enjoyed a simple, good supper here one evening. The menu is very limited (which I don't feel is a drawback for me) and wine is available by the glass, by the way. However I thought it was fairly pricey, and I didn't care for how dim the lighting was: both issues combined to knock a star off my rating.

Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

We had a nice, relaxed lunch at this colourful cafe. The food is tasty, and they have good cocktails and interesting beers, and staff are friendly. The train going past is very loud though!

Reviewed 21 February 2017 via mobile

Went there with the kids, great food for a reasonable price, with super friendly staff. The burger was the best I had in a long time, and the quesadilla was very good as well. Nice music & decor, highly recommend it !

Reviewed 2 February 2017

Great local craft beer (we had Castanas) in proper English pint bubble pots. Marvelous decor and delicious food. Service was very good and friendly too. The food was reasonably priced at $10-$11 a plate which was filled with food. Definitely 5 stars!