“Really liked the arepas”

Colonia Tovar Arepas & Bar
Ranked #91 of 843 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: US$5 - US$11
Reviewed 22 August 2018

Probably my favorite restaurant/eatery so far in Barrio Escalante during my one week stay. I tried two different arepas, one on each occasion I visited. Both were meaty, saucy, hunks of deliciousness. Priced around 3200-4200 at the time of this writing. Several beers both on tap and in bottles if you are into that. Beer on tap is about 3500, so roughly the same as most of the food. They did have food besides arepas but I could eat those everyday for every meal. Bartenders are pleasant and quick to respond to you whenever you are ready. Cool decor and music. Most people sit outside but I prefer inside to enjoy the ambiance. 5 stars from me.

Reviewed 25 January 2018

Artisan, local and international beers in a nice environment in the heart of Barrio Escalante. This is a very nice place, I’ve been here a couple of times and is never a disappointment. Service is very good and they offer a fair variety of beers and venezuelan cuisine. I highly recommend the platters for sharing as snacks and the bowls if you’re hungrier than that. Try to sit outside if you can, enjoy nice weather in a cool night and check out the environment of one of the most interesting neighborhoods around. Perfect for pre drinks even though it stays open till a bit after midnight.

Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

Friendly helpful service. They were kind enough to advise us vegetarian options when we couldn't read the menu.
Fun. Contemporary art atmosphere.
Would definitely recommend if in the area.

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

The owners and the owners' friends are so chill and so down to earth and the food is absolutely 100% amazing. The tequeños were a huge favorite and the Arepas were delicious. We came back later that night for a late night snack because we couldn't get enough. Great food, great prices. Can't WAIT to be back!

Reviewed 25 April 2017 via mobile

Popped in for a pint, and it turned out to be a pint of Scottish ale. Fantastic, dark and strong after two weeks of imperial.
They asked me if I wanted to eat, so I went with their suggestion, which turned out to be epic.

Why is it you always find the best place on the last day of your trip?

2  Thank Yellowtractor