“Great Steaks and large portions”
Review of El Novillo Alegre

El Novillo Alegre
Ranked #27 of 191 Restaurants in Escazu
Cuisines: Argentinian
Reviewed 3 April 2018

I had a large portion steak which was perfect. It needed no sauce. My daughter had a huge skewered meat/vegetable dish that she shared.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

The place is nice. They offer very good service at a very resonable price comparing with other retaurants.

The cuts "Entraña" (Skrit steak) and "Bife de Chorizo" (New York Steak) are superb; they are very tender. You can choose together with it two sides dishes among those: Big grilled potato, potato pure, white rice, grilled vegetables, black beans, sweet plantain (plátano). Also they bring to the table "Chimichurri", the best I have tasted.

To start and wait for the meat you can order Provoleta la Oreganato (provolone grilled cheese seasoned with marjorane), It is wonderfull prepared.

And to finalize "panqueque de manzana o de dulce de leche o nutella con helado de mantecado" (crepe covered with crispy apple or filled with caramel spread or nutella"

They offer a gerat variety of wines. The have in place a winary, where the sale wines at very reasonable prices.

Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

Great nice place. Prices are high. Service is normal. Food is good. It is a place to enjoy. However there are other places for better meat. Thanks

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Great food in this steakhouse but they offer great options if you have people not so interested in steaks. Service is great and cost quality is really good.

Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

We have been here many many times, I even proposed to my wife here. Normally sit outside and normally Jeffry was the one serving. He is so helpful that even if you ask for something that is not in the menu, always says let me talk to the chef, maybe I can make it happen.
Tonight we had another server. So we ordered two pieces of steak. My wife ordered the steak in black sauce or something like that. I ordered the national steak at 350g. Our server, Samuel was so dry I was already regretting. When we asked about something outside of the ordinary, he simply said you pay more for this I'll make it happen.
My steak was great, my wife's came at half the size in cartilege. When we asked why, our server , Samuel, didn't even try to say something. He just started to collect the plates as if we had no right to ask about the quality of the food we were about to pay for. So I asked for the manager, .... Enter Brenda. She says that she is the supervisor of the shift, even though she looked to me as any other waiter, same attire and same attitude as Samuel. She explains that because my wife ordered the 200g meat instead of the 300g, the meat would come with half cartilage and fat and other half meat. Didn't even offer an apology or anything like that. The most unhelpful and lame explanation.

Then she asked if we would like any desert or coffee, we said no. Paid about $80 and left. This happened in February 15th, 2017. No more El Novio Alegre for me.

1  Thank Mike B