Lol.travel
Destinia.com
Hotels.com
eDreams
All reviews private room rooftop view table tennis grocery store costa rica san jose place to stay swimming pool pods privacy beds blinds uber lounging accommodations
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 November 2019

I was a solos traveler that wanted inexpensive but private accomodations. Fauna was perfect for my needs. The staff is professional, helpful and friendly. My room was clean and simple not any extra tables or chairs which is fine since they have a spacious dining communal area where you can sit, eat, watch tv or do work with complete freedom.
The neighborhood is relatively safe to easily walk to the close grocery store, half a block away. Uber is convenient and the bus to San Jose is just up the street that gets you to the cathedral area in 20 minutes for about 80 cents.
I took a tour to Poas Volcano and the Doka coffee plantation along with stops in Grecia, the metal cathedral, and Sarchi, a regional furniture manufacturing town. Everything was amazing, just know that CR roads are an adventure and not for weak stomachs.
Back at the hostel, the environment is refreshing and open air courtyard ambience, never encountered mosquitoes or any other bugs.
Overall a great five day stay! ❤

Room tip: rooms are sound proofed very well despite the open air courtyard environment
Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed 5 November 2019

We stayed in the dorms with the pods and they were so nice! Comfiest beds I had the entire time we were in Costa Rica. I loved getting to shut the blinds at night and have privacy... that is hard to find when one is hostel hopping! The staff was so kind, accommodating, and welcoming. Great atmosphere. I would stay here again!

Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed 25 October 2019

I booked one of the private sleeping pods listed online. They were everything they advertised. Well informed staff, I agree that there is not much to do around the site but in case of a cheap overnight it has a great style akin to that of a regular hotel. the shared kitchen space has a nice vibe and the overall cleanliness was great considering the amount of people sharing the place I did find a few hairs on the woolen blanket they gave me at reception. Despite that I would come back here.

Room tip: I only stayed in Pods, 8 people per room and bathroom facilities.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2019

Bugs! Don’t stay here. There were bugs in the beds! Barely visible bugs crawling all over both of the beds in our room! We left covered in bites. We asked reception and housekeeping to see if they could do something or even possibly change rooms for us but I think they were having a problem throughout and wouldn’t do anything or even acknowledge our complaint. It was a nightmare!

This place is run down and severely neglected. The staff seem like they hate working here as well; they were all really rude. :( we stayed here for a few nights and we should have just checked out and lost the money because it just got worse and worse. At the end one of my shirts got ruined because of some sticky paint on some furniture in the room and they literally told us it wasn’t their problem. It was like we were being Punked honestly! Other guests were cracking jokes as well about how they couldn’t believe the terrible service and complete lack of hospitality. I’ve never had such a horrible experience.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
SmartinSacchi, General Manager at Fauna Luxury Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2019

Dear Danielle,
it is very sad that the hard work of all the team can be ruined by your review only because we have applied the rules that you've accepted and sign once you checked in. We are a pet-friendly hostel and we do love to welcome customers bringing their pets with them but for the comfort of all the others guests we do need them to respect some very easy rules: the pet has to be on the leash when walking around the hotel and it cannot sleep in our beds. Despite our kind warnings when you left we had to deep clean the room, the sheets and the mattress especially had to be sent to a professional washer that's why we've charge you $20 extra when you checked out. As you can see in all the others reviews the guests are vey happy with our facilities and services and they may feel that they're being Punked but in a nice way since our prices are so reasonable for what we offer! Pura Vida

Reviewed 9 October 2019

Had a great time at Fauna! Amazing deal for the money. Friendly staff and good vibes. The mojitos were really good! Definitely try one. The kitchen had plenty of space for multiple groups to cook at the same time.