“PURA VIDA!! Blue Osa is a destination sensation!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
New York, New York, United States
“PURA VIDA!! Blue Osa is a destination sensation!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

When planning my trip to BLUE OSA, Aaron first told me that for however long I stay, by the end, I will wish I had stayed longer. I thought he was alluding to strolling the gorgeous beach just steps away (kayaked the early morning surf), the exotic wildlife and jungle adventures (Tree Climbing and exquisite waterfalls), or getting that last spa treatment to soothe the soul (heavenly!)...when I left, I realized that all these things became a backdrop to what Blue Osa is really about...FAMILY.
Traveling on my own, I was immediately welcomed with smiles and laughter. Michael, the property manager, and his team were nothing short of professional and integral in making my visit absolutely flawless. Marie and her incredibly talented kitchen staff provided me some of the most delicious and freshest meals I could ask for. And Aaron's spiritual guidance allowed my yoga practice to flourish and THRIVE!! Of course there are two souls that really run Blue Osa, Rama and Shiva...they run around the property like it's their kingdom and embody the true spirit of family and unity.
Muchas Gracias from the bottom of my heart to the caring, hard working and friendly staff of Blue Osa. You made my time here a true oasis of bliss and I look forward to my return and re-connecting with you all again. Much love and light from the Great White Way. Besos!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Finnish first
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

My husband and I recently returned home from our incredible stay at the Blue Osa, and could not be happier.
The setting was spectacular! They are surrounded by the rainforest, but have created a chic, sophisticated space. The wood used there is all teak and their signature colors are refreshing blues and crisp white. The yoga studio is set up on the second floor above room accomodations, and is unbeatable!
Something unique to Blue Osa alone, is the friendly, open atmosphere and people we met there. My husband and I have traveled all over the world, together & individually, and both agree we have never met so many amazing people in one place before. I adored each guest I met there. We normally don't socialize too much, as we are so happy doing our own thing and being together, but here they place your napkin at a table for you and at dinner you come in and find where you are sitting. I was happily surprised at what a noninvasive way this was to get to know new people. And was even more delighted with the interesting conversations we had. And the dinners/food was phenomenal! Marie, the head chef, is extremely talented. It was always so fun to see what would be served!
My husband and I spent our days waking up with the sunrise, heading to the dining area for coffee, fresh fruit, granola & yogurt, then for a run, beach jog or some activity before brunch. A delicious brunch, then more sport or reading by the pool or hammock. Usually I'd paddle board & he'd surf for an hour or two around sunset, then head in for a hot shower (and yes, the water was always hot! ;) ) and get ready for dinner. At dinner we would enjoy great conversations, a delicious meal, and a yummy specially made cocktail there.
We saw toucans, macaws, any of four different species of monkey daily, as well as many different colorful birds.
This trip was a luxury for my soul!
You will love Aaron, Paul, Marie, Jesus (amazing massuese!), and all the staff there. I enjoyed them each so very much.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

I stayed at the Blue Osa along with my boyfriend and friend for a week over Christmas and loved every minute. For me, the 2 best things about the Blue Osa is the food and the location. I've never eaten so well on vacation before. Marie the charming french chef and her team made every single meal totally gourmet and delicious. Each day focused on a different type of cuisine and I learned that virtually all of the ingredients were local and fresh. I was also pleased to see that they bent over backwards to accomodate my friend at every meal, who has many food allergies and restrictions. Considering the amazing non-stop food is built into the price of room, I argue that the prices are more than fair.

The location also couldn't be better. It's a beautiful property and is situated on a gorgeous beach that is very nearly private. Often, my friends and I were the only people we could see on the beach. During our week there, we were lucky enough to experience perfect weather (no rain), and big 4-5 foot waves perfect for bodysurfing. LIke all of Costa Rica, the surrounding rain forest is bursting with life and just from the resort's property my friends and I snagged pictures of monkeys, frogs, anteaters, hawks, pelicans, scarlet macaws, iguanas, and other smaller lizards, tropical birds and insects. I also opted to take some (highly recommended) excursions down the road to Matapalo (really big waves, surfers and hikes to tropical waterfalls),a zipline adventure above the rainforest and a boat tour across the Golfo Dulce to swim with hundreds of wild dolphins!

Another high point is the warm and friendly staff. I'm a New Yorker and so it was very seducing to be around so many genuinely friendly (and good looking) Costa Ricans. The cabina I stayed in was beautiful, spotless and big but not sealed or totally private (screens or blinds insteads of glass windows, you can hear everything going on outside and I guess vice versa) I personally enjoyed how different the more open setup was and slept well each night (with the fan on) luckily with no insect or animal intrusions. However, I think they offer more sealed alternative rooms for those a little nervous to any exposure.

I do recommend the Blue Osa consider adding a few more bathroom amenities like a bidet or handheld bidet gadget by the toilet (especially considering they ask you to throw away toilet paper as opposed to flushing it) and a handheld shower head. The shower's water temperature mechanism takes some getting used to, but for me it wasnt a big deal as I opted for mostly to taking outdoor showers and using the awesome (chemical free) pool. I also hope the Blue Osa can manage to broadcast a stronger internet signal as I couldn't get a signal in my room.

Some extra tips: Remember that The Blue Osa is a yoga-oriented retreat, which means most guests (and staff) are going to bed after dinner and getting up at sunrise to meditate, do yoga etc, (a feature I really enjoyed as it completely contrasts with my NYC life) so if are craving any nightlife, a round-the-clock bar, a TV, you may want to consider a more hedonistic option. But for the those who are looking for a holistic, grounded, healthy and spiritually nurturing getaway in paradise, look no further than the Blue Osa!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Brian K
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I recently stayed at Blue Osa to participate in a yoga retreat over Christmas, lead by Aaron, one of the owners. I cannot say enough wonderful things about Blue Osa. The owners and all the staff are incredibly warm and welcoming - which was particuarly important to me as I was travelling solo. The property is gorgeous and well-appointed - from the rooms, to the open air dining room, to the yoga studio, to the pool and pavilion, the beach, and the spa, too. The food is amazing - all prepared fresh daily from local ingredients and yet with incredible variety of taste and cuisine. Aaron is a fantastic yoga instructor, he gives great feedback and adjustments focused on alignment, particularly drawing upon the Iyengar style. I learned some very important adjustments to key postures while I was there that will really enhance my yoga practice. Jesus, the massage therapist at Blue Osa, was absolutely divine (pun intended). While you could happily spend all your time at Blue Osa, there are many fun and exciting excursions you can take on and around the peninsula and setting them up through Blue Osa was super easy - even all the billing was handled through them. I fully intend to go back and stay there again!

Room Tip: The rooms under the yoga studio can be loud, I've heard, when people are above practicing. The...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, 7 January 2012
Thank you for spending Christmas with our Blue Osa family and sharing in those magical moments. Your visit and presence at Blue Osa was welcome and we really look forward to your return. Hopefully our new "Hammock Garden" will be completed and ready for your next journey to the Osa.

Blessings
Aaron
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Pros: Marie's cooking is amazing! Paul is a love!!! Great energy, can-do attitude, jack of all trades, gives great yoga adjustments! Beds are comfortable. Rooms are clean.

Cons: I had half a hot shower the entire 7 days we were there. Aaron made no apologies for this being an ecological resort. The hotel is located 45 min from the airport so it takes a good while to get here. The beach is rocky and the wave breaks are extremely short.

Overall: Eh...we went on a yoga retreat with a NY studio so our average room costs were that of a 4-5 star hotel in a major city. If we paid $100/night I wouldn't have cared so much but for the price we paid I expected at least a hot shower each day.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank KAJ K
Thank you for your review and coming to Blue Osa.

The journey to Blue Osa from the airport is a dirt road. We are 11 km from the airport and typically a 20 - 30 minute drive. Upon arrival in Puerto Jimenez, our shuttle drivers will give our guests a tour of Puerto Jimenez, and stop along the way to show some wildlife of Costa Rica. (Birds, cats, caymans, pizotes, any eaters, etc)

I do agree that your stay with us was overpriced. Your group leader gave about a 400% mark up from what we charged, and did not let anyone in your group know you were coming to an eco resort that was in the jungle.

Our beach, like any beach is in constant change. Our beach (and beaches in the area) is widely sought out by many surfers and at times there are no waves, and at others, waves can be very high. Typically the beginning of December brings some wonderful surge. The beach is also in constant change and the tides are what made it so spectacular. One of the magical things about being on the Osa is to see the power of nature and creation performing for you daily in such drastic ways.

I wish you better luck on your yogic journey.

Blessings,
10.0 km away
La Chosa del Manglar
La Chosa del Manglar
#7 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!