All reviews stairway to heaven monkey house blue butterfly his wife happy hour scarlet macaws other guests costa rica osa peninsula corcovado national park tiki hut open air monkey room soups beach bungalow frog tour shady lane
Reviewed 14 April 2018

I wasn’t too sure what to expect of this place. Having read ‘off the grid’, ‘solar power, only’ I imagined it shaggy and very rough around the edges.

Boy was I in for a surprise.

After arriving from Puerto Jimenez (which was a bit of an adventure as it's a good hour road trip on a bumpy road but the sites are fantastic! Note: this place is not easy to find – a good thing!) I was greeted by a friendly pack of mutts and Reade, the associate manager.
Professional, helpful, knowledgeable and fun, Reade showed me to my room, showed me the ‘ropes’ and ended by giving me a tour of the place.
Reade ended by saying “Stop by the main floor for popcorn, happy hour and views of the sunset but take your time”.
Sincere and humble, I felt instantly at 'home'.
Could life get any better?!

Again, I was truly taken aback. This is an exquisite lodge!
Unique, (primarily wood, teak I think?) eclectic décor seen everywhere from the all-inclusive bathroom to star gazing on the top floor; not including the artistic embellishments throughout and a serene, calming pool, hammocks, hammocks, EVERYWHERE (so awesome!), multiple views of the ocean and jungle not to mention a room with a library and information about hikes, species….this was far more than I had ever anticipated. Plus, access to the internet if I so chose.

One of my favourite parts of this experience was that for each meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner), guests ate in a different dining area with differing views at communal tables.
What that meant was, we had different 'visitors' at each meal - coati at breakfast who was such a funny character, scarlet macaw at Happy Hour, dinnertime...every vista held new sights, sounds and critters!

Over meals I was able to meet a variety of amazing people from all over the globe, I've since become friends with some of my connections.

Bar none, this was one of the most remarkable parts of my trip – the culture, community of such a wonderful place: connecting as a group and sharing!

Meals here are an experience.
As quite a fussy eater, I went up for seconds almost every chance I got! The buffet-style meals offered such a wide assortment of delicious home-made healthy food with some of the best soups I’ve ever had in my life and with a big piece of home-made bread, this was more than enough but three-course dinners are what we're offered!
Still awaiting the vegetarian lasagna recipe (the best I've ever had!!)

I was fortunate enough to stay in two different rooms during my visit; the elusive Blackhawk room at the far end of the premises and later, one of the Tiki rooms.
Both were most unique and completely different! If you have questions, PM me for further photos or info!

As a solo traveler, I was able to do day hikes on any given day to the many unique places close by: turtle breeding grounds (it was off-season but still interesting); waterfalls close by, and the Monkey hike, which was splendid! I took this trail a couple of times and the biodiversity I encountered was so different and unique each round. Note: this is outside of the park and completely accessible by foot from the lodge!
I did hire a private guide, Philipe, through the lodge.
We departed around 7:30 am to Corcovado Park which was a truly amazing experience!
The guide was fantastic! I was sad when our trek ended, around 3 pm that afternoon. And I'd learned and witnessed so much.

As a seasoned traveller, I seldom utter the words: "I’ll be back", as there are far too many places to see, experience.

The only downfall of this place is that a tiny bit of my heart now resides with this ‘family’.

The closeness Terry encourages, between all guests, is unsurpassed.

Never in my lifetime have I encountered such an amazing dichotomy between rustic, pristine, quiet nature and the social aspect of interesting, sharing, thought-provoking and FUN gatherings with people! This combination makes for an ideal experience, not to mention the sheer beauty of all aspects of the lodge. Oh, and the tasty food and drinks!
Hands down, 5/5

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
lookoutinn, General Manager at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2018

WOW!!!
What a great review!!! Thank you so much for mentioning all the great things that made your stay so wonderful. We do look forward to seeing you again soon! PLEASE stay in touch and email us any great photos you may have taken. Maybe there is something we can use in the new website.

Reade and the crew

Reviewed 1 April 2018

This place lives up to the hype. Just wonderful being on the edge of the Pacific and hiking into Corcovado. Stayed in the Tiki hut which was awesome and just like living in the jungle for a few days. So unique to wake up to scarlet macaws, iguanas and coatis so close you could almost touch them. Great views to the beach and spectacular sunsets at happy hour- so relaxing. This place seems to attract interesting people and Terry, Katya and the staff treat everyone like family. A great off the grid experience everyone should try at least once in their lifetime,

Room Tip: The tiki hut was amazing
Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank AlexofAustralia
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

all ways the happy campers -- so glad you all had a great ole time -- and please come home some day in the future please thanks so much ter kat and the team

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

This was our kids first international trip and this hotel couldn’t have been more perfect. The hotel is surrounded by nature and birds and monkeys abound. The beach is a quick walk away and you will have it all to yourself. We stayed in the Monkey house and we felt it was the perfect room for us, great views of the ocean and of course monkey sightings daily. The food is fresh and delicious. Terry and Reade were great. We felt like we were staying at a friend’s house not a hotel. Terry even made sushi for our girls when he found out it was one of their favorite foods. As an amateur photographer I couldn’t take enough photos much to my wife’s dismay. We will definitely be back.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank MarskeOD
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

we are the SUSHI KINGS here at the famous lookout inn eco lodge -- thanks for visiting us and please come again... bye for now ter and the team

Reviewed 13 March 2018

My sister and I had a wonderful open room, right in to the nature, the biggest problem in this fantastic lodge was always the question, if i just stay in my hammock what is in the other perfect lookouts to see. The only solution is to stay long enough, to start the day in the paradise of the lagoon with a kayak, let them plan a incredible guided tour to the park, where you even meet a tapir, beside many other animals. Take the stairway to heaven up go down any other way with wonderful views and meetings. And to make your day perfect Terry is cooking incredible good tasting stuff out of veggies and fish, best food in costa rica, and don`t forget to start and end your dinner on the chillout station, where Reed i called the master of margaritas. What a great combination far away from everything.
Hard to find a place like that!! Scarlet Macaws all around!!

Stayed: February 2018
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

my 2 favorite sisters hello and thank you for thinking of us ..beautiful and tropical again here this morning -- scarlet macaws visiting us daily as those monkeys .. --remember we have a boutique hotel in puerto jimenenz if need a stop over and do some shopping fishing and or surfing .. bye for now ter at the innnn

Reviewed 6 March 2018

My wife and I stayed here as the final part of our honeymoon adventures through Costa Rica and we absolutely loved it!!! It was a great culmination of our trip, allowing us to relax and unwind after the previous weeks excursions. Though I had stayed here before, she had not and it and the owners and staff have made a (positive) lasting impression. We will certainly be visiting again!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

thank you so much again for visiting us and hope to see u2 again with your kids