All reviews in town costa rica hot water air conditioning restaurants and shops beautiful garden pool area is every morning pura vida tortuga island howler monkeys hill fridge waterfall chaise ocean beaches
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I stayed here on night in February after taking the taxi boat over from Jaco. I paid $95 for the night which was a notch up from some of the other rooms because it was higher up with veiws. The rooms all have nice decks with hammocks, the AC worked great, the room was very comfortable. The staff was helpful in my reservations and booked the taxi boat for me. It has a great location just a block up the hill so your just off the beaten path. My stay was quiet, and the room was basic but clean with a great view. Beautiful well kept grounds as well.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This is my 2nd stay at this hotel....I still stand firm that this is the 2nd best hotel in Montezuma behind the Ylang Lang, but the mattresses are terrible. I was here about 5 years ago, and the beds were old and busted up then...Definitely the same mattresses on this trip. Likewise, you will not be impressed with the bathrooms or luke warm showers either

The location, gardens and pool however, are clearly the best in town...So are the pacific views and proximity to wildlife (in particular, giant howler monkeys that sound like King Kong outside your room each night) Overall, I dont think you are going to find anything in this price range in monteauma that can compete

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BfromChicago
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We showed up in Montezuma with no reservations so walked around and looked at several places before deciding upon here. It is a bit spendy for the area, but it served it's purpose. I've seen several reviews state that the jacuzzi had cold water, but I'm not sure if people realize NO PLACE in Costa Rica heats their jacuzzi's....in CR "jacuzzi" means jets, not heated tubs like in America.
We had a room by the pool which was nice, but the property right next door has chickens so be prepared to get woken up by crowing at 5am. If your AC is running it will drown out that noise fairly well though. I agree with other reviewers the beds are somewhat uncomfortable, and although the AC did work, the thermostat did not, so it was either full bore, or off.
All in all, if I went back I would drive the short distance to St. Theresa and stay there instead of Montezuma, but it was a decent place to hang for a couple of days.
The "included breakfast" is somewhat of a joke, a cup of coffee and some pre-packaged flatbread. It will not be satisfactory for 99% of people, however there is a grocery store a 30 second walk down the hill which has a whole array of anything you would want.

Room Tip: If you are able bodied, request a room up the hill.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AKGirl1883
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Upon arriving in Montezuma, my sister and I went to our booked hotel, El Sano Banano. When we were escorted to our room, we discovered that our room was very small, dark and the one window didn't open. As I have claustrophobia that wasn't going to work. The hotel manager was very kind and gave us a full refund. She then took us to Hotel Jardin just up the street. The rate was $25 higher per night ($95 per night). The room was small, but open, light and had windows on 3 sides. It also had a cute front patio with a hammock to relax in and two chairs and a table to sit outside. The bathroom was incredibly small (large people would hardly fit) but the shower and tile work was nice. The jacuzzi was cold water (?) so unusable. The room had no t.v. but it did have a refrigerator. The mattresses were the worst and the pillows a close second. We kept checking the bedding thinking there might be bedbugs but never found any. But, they were yucky and need to be upgraded for that price of room. The website states that coffee and continental breakfast will be served but it amounted to a cup of coffee and a small package of a boxed type cookie. Although it was good enough, I feel like it was over-priced. We were tired though and just didn't want to insult the very kind people at El Sano Banano who helped us out in finding another room for two nights.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2012

This is a very nice and well located place, I really like the way they built it!! It has a nice view from the rooms on the of the property!! But all the rooms are OK, AC, Hot water, etc. Everything you need for some days at this gorgeous colorful town.

The only bad/scary part of my experience was <the mad monkeys>. I was with a friend in the top of the property trying to find a better spot to take some pictures of the landscape, suddenly a big troop of white-faced Capuchin monkeys came from the forest behind us... I think they were just passing by, but they felt threaten by me and my friend making some noise and taking pictures. One of the monkeys came very close to me and almost attacked me, showing his teeth and yelling!!! We successfully avoided them and everything was OK at the end. But still, it was so scary. I never expected it to happen.
I fully recommend this place, just be careful with the mad-crazy monkeys!

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms on the top of the property! Gorgeous view! Rooms around the pool are NOT quite!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends