All reviews costa rica nice pool surrounded by trees casita mono luz laura wildlife monkeys jungle town nature sheets bugs fans paradise nets
Reviewed 21 July 2016 via mobile

We are a young couple traveling relatively cheap.

Pros: the hotel grounds are amazing. It feels like you're in the middle of a rainforest, even though you are meters away from the town. The pool is refreshing. It's only 2 minutes away from the (nicer) beach in town and 3 minutes from the main area with restaurants and bars and supermarkets. The staff is friendly and professional.

Cons: the room is basic, the walls look a little dingy (but overall very clean. The bathroom was also clean.) Breakfast in the open has its ups and downs. The staff leave out bananas for the animals so there will be birds flying around and sitting at your table waiting to steal a sugar packet or some fruit. Monkeys will climb down the roof and scope out the places waiting to be given more bananas. It's nice to see the wildlife but can sometimes verge on being annoying or intimidating. Sometimes the staff is nowhere to be found, but when they come around they are quick to help and friendly.

Note: the howler monkeys here are LOUD. Around 5 am they will bellow and screech and oink as if they were right next door. Also the rooms have no glass windows, only screens with bamboo curtains.

I would stay here again for the quietness and nature of the surroundings.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jennylee7290
Reviewed 20 July 2016

Just returned from a week long trip to Montezuma and stayed one night at Luz de Mono and loved it. I was travelling alone and felt welcome and safe at all times while staying there.

Everything about my stay was perfect. I had emailed to make a reservation and they responded promptly to all questions that I had.

The girls that work at the front desk (Laura and Suzanna, I think) were wonderful, very friendly and welcoming and their English was excellent which I was grateful for because my Spanish is terrible.

I booked a room on the second floor which was very clean and spacious. There was a double locking system on the door which made me feel safer as I was travelling alone.

The room has screens on part of the windows so you feel like you are sleeping in a tropical rainforest. No air conditioning here and it was not needed with the ceiling fan and the shade from the forest my room was never too hot.

Breakfast in the morning was included and was simple and perfect.

The pool was amazing! Clean and refreshing with a great view of the ocean.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, singles, couples, families, without reservation. I did not want to leave.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2016

Saw at least 10 different species of wildlife in surrounding gardens. The room was super clean even with the beach so close to the property. Loved having a satisfying breakfast with an audience of monkeys and then heading to the beach for a refreshing swim. Returned to an outdoor shower and a dip in the pool with more exotic wildlife sightings. Staff was friendly and helpful. A good value for the price.

Room Tip: Room #2 is quiet and has an outdoor hammock
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2016

Wonderful secluded property right on the edge of town.Tucked away in the jungle,the rooms, the pool as well as the castitas are all connected by pathways through the forest.The rancho,also along the path,serves a fantastic complimentary breakfast .The pool is great to beat the heat,set in a small clearing with somewhat of an ocean view.
Wildlife abound throughout the property.We stayed only one night and were able to see Capuchins ,Agouti and the Howler monkeys are something else at 4:30am! Loved it.

Room Tip: Standard room was fine ,the castitas looked awesome.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom N
Reviewed 17 May 2016

The staff here are wonderful and very attentive to their customers' needs. My wife and I had a casita up the hill from the reception desk which gave us a good deal of privacy and even gave us the opportunity to see capucine and howler monkeys outside our cabin in the morning. Breakfast was the typical Costa Rican breakfast, but with the best Gallo Pinto we have had on our visit here. We had originally planned to stay here for 3 nights, but had to cut our visit short for personal reasons. The downside to note is that if visiting in the hot season (like in May when we were here), while the casitas have overhead fans, they do not have a/c and it can be quite hot. (They do, however, have one air conditioned cabin available although it is not the best casita.) Apparently, the rooms are cooler and more modern than the casitas but we did not see them.
As stated, we LOVED the wonderful staff who really want their guests to be happy. But, if you like A/C, this is not the place to stay. Also, it is important to note that Montezuma attracts a very young crowd, mostly 20- and early 30-somethings, so, if you are over 40, this is likely not your scene.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple