All reviews souvenir shop bbq area the owner great place to stay on the rocks ocean waves coffee maker costa rica one night perfect location stayed here for nights room was clean fans hammocks fridge backpack cabinas
Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

People in Montezuma they're very nice customer service is excellent and I am really had a very good time because the restaurants and the place I Stay it was amazing and make it my experience excellent I want to go back because I feel very welcome and no very such a small a beautiful place very peacefully the waterfall the experience I had it it was amazing and definitely definitely I want to go back

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 21 February 2018

I have been to Montezuma several times, it’s my favourite destination. I’ve stayed at many local hotels, but this was my first time staying at Mar Y Cielo. I was not sure of this spot based on other reviews saying the Chico’s bar next door is very loud at night to sleep. I did not experience this, all I heard was the ocean waves crashing on the rocks. However, I was there on a Monday night and honestly the bar is only loud on Friday and Saturday nights from what I noticed. But I don't think you would hear much because the ocean waves at night are quite loud.

The reception for Mar Y Cielo is at the souvenir gift shop before you follow a laneway to the ocean and where the cabinas are and vehicle parking. I was greeted by a very super friendly Tico woman named, Nury and she instantly makes you feel welcomed and comfortable.

There was four rooms, 2 on top with balconies and 2 below. All the rooms face the ocean. My room was below and because it’s all concrete, you don’t hear the guests above walking around, it was surprisingly very quiet.

My room was very clean, I saw no bugs (cockroaches), and there was no moldy smell like some of the other budget hotels. There was no air conditioner, but the room never felt hot with the ocean breeze and 2 large powerful stand-up fans in the room. There is a large safe in the room to put your valuables and was big enough to fit a backpack. Also included was your own large bar fridge, coffee maker and pre-ground coffee with cups. Awesome for the next morning.

This hotel is located right near all the shops, restaurants, ATM (You can only withdraw 100,000 colones at a time) and the beach. But is quiet because it is at the end of a laneway from the main road. They have hammocks and a table with benches to lounge around, which was great to use once the sun got lower in the sky and it wasn’t so hot. Perfect for late afternoon and evening time.

This hotel was easy to book through Bookings.com for $60 US/night, I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend this place. Thank-you Nury for an excellent stay, pura vida!

Room tip: I had room #3 and had no complaints... the 2 rooms above have better ocean views with balconies.
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

Perfect location.. the beach is only ten steps away and you can get to any store or restaurant within seconds. The owner is very kind and more than happy to help with anything needed. The room was clean and there are hammocks right outside of your door

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 December 2017

This place is on the beach and walking distance to tons of dining and night-life. Keep that in mind, because it can be a bit loud at night. The back of the property has hammocks and a killer sunset view from the upper balcony.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 December 2017 via mobile

Location is the key asset of Mar y Cielo... We also enjoyed the free parking reserved for guests.

Rooms are clean, equipped with a safe. There were some works to renovate the room next to ours, so it could have been a little noisy but hopefully we wake up early in Costa Rica...

The hammocks on the front lawn get easily crowded due to their nice location...

Great place to stay in Montezuma!

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 599raphaelv