All reviews beautiful lawn tide pools costa rica palm trees the owner ocean view comfortable chairs private balcony minute walk montezuma falls first floor mosquito netting during low tide in town huevos rancheros dirt road air conditioning
Reviewed 18 September 2018

I stayed at Hotel Amor del Mar for two nights with my parents and a friend. I'm originally from Costa Rica but have now been living in the USA for 15 years. I'm a project management consultant and I travel for a living.

I was looking forward to this stay until check-in. We were welcomed by the manager of the hotel, an American woman from California, who was from the beginning rude and condescending. We decided to ignore her behavior and below is a summary of our stay divided into pros and cons:

Pros:
- Grounds are well kept and beautiful
- Hotel is easily accessible
- Rooms are spacious and balconies are a nice addition
- Environmentally friendly
- Reasonably priced

Cons:
- Have to pay or bring your own amenities (water, coffee, tea, toiletries)
- Towels and sheets were old and didn't smell well
- WiFi did not work! We mentioned this twice and nothing was done about it. I had to go into the lobby area every time I wanted to check my email or contact my family in the USA who was preparing to be hit by a Hurricane
- Management: I have never felt so unwanted in a place. The manager did not treat us the same as she treated other guests. I don't want to assume that it was because we were locals and the other guests were tourists. We did feel that she was discriminatory towards us including asking us if we were walking out on our breakfast bill when we had clearly asked to charge the room or charging us for coffee when she had told other guests that the coffee was free. Either way, I cannot recommend this hotel to my other family members, friends, or you!

Room tip: Do not stay here
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

This has been one of the best hotels we have stayed in due to the natural beauty of the place. The work is all done by local artists. The wood work throughout the place is beautiful and hand carved. The second you walk into the place you get a stunning ocean view with the tide crashing into the rocks. During low tide there’s an awesome tidal pool where you can wade and have a private natural swimming pool- unreal! The coffee and breakfast is delicious. Traditional Costa Rican food with a twist. We had bought a bottle of wine and drank it on our private balcony that night which made this place truly memorable. The owner is very accommodating and the staff is very friendly. At night there is a security guard that stays on premise- the area is not unsafe by any means. but it is nice to know that the property looks out for the safety of its patrons. During the day read a book from their book shelf while laying out in a hammock on the property. The proximity to the downtown area and the main road of activities is walkable. The entrance to the waterfall is within feet/meters of the hotel. My boyfriend and I had hiked and climbed all the way up to the third one. We got lucky and ran into a local tour guide that was out there planting an avocado plant that took us up to the upper falls. Not sure we would’ve found our way without him. Overall, this place will not disappoint. The town gets quiet around 7pm this time of year and having your own private balcony that looks over the ocean was key to making this trip exceptional! I recommend it for couples or even friends looking for a laid back experience.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2018

We stayed at the hotel with my friend and absolutely loved this place. The garden was beautiful with hammocks and an amazing scenery. Very delicious breakfast available and the staff was lovely too. I will definitely go back!

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

Really enjoyed a week here; right on the ocean with a tidal pool in the rocks. You can always hear the ocean amd the wildlife... the grounds are really mature tropical vegetation and there are hammock everywhere. The food is great (no dinner service though) and the staff are super friendly. I recommend casa sol.. great accommodation with lots of outside space to enjoy the views. As close to the waterfalls as you can get. If you surf go to playa los sedros for the best left hand reef break... and you will almost have it to yourself! Really great hotel... highly recommended

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2018

This was perhaps the best hotel I have ever stayed at. I was lucky enough to stay in one of the larger family units with two levels and a full kitchen, decks everywhere, A/C, amazing woodwork and furnishings. You can tell the owners take a lot of pride and have a lot of love for this place. Its truly one of a kind.

The grounds are perfect. Amazing landscaping that compliments the ocean and jungle surroundings. Hammocks and comfortable chairs all over to enjoy. We cancelled some local plans because this hotel itself is a destination. Were glad we spend half days here enjoying the perfection.

The owner and the staff are amazing people. Very laid back and caring and attentive. Spoil yourself and go. Our 10 and 14 year olds were in heaven too, they thought this was the coolest place on the planet. Its perfect without kids too I imagine, very romantic.

Date of stay: June 2018