Review Highlights
Amazing experience

Chris is a fantastic surf coach; I progressed so much throughout the week and it was a lot of fun... read more

Reviewed 5 August 2018
Jimma21
Helsinki, Finland
via mobile
Fantastic Surf Lesson

I’ve wanted to try surfing for about 20 years and had always been intimidated. This vacation I... read more

Reviewed 11 July 2018
Krysten G
via mobile

All reviews costa rica riding waves amazing experience a lot of fun peninsula sus knowledge shore surf lesson beginners introduction break feedback beaches confidence coach
Reviewed 16 June 2012

When my babe & I were leaving for our annual trip to Costa Rica I decided this time to learn how to surf. This is huge for a person who swims like a rock. Wow did we get lucky with Chris who has to be the best & most fun instructor ever. We took off to the perfect spot, Playa Hermosa, north up the coast from Mai Pais for his Sunset Surf Safari. Are you kidding me, 1st time out and I'm up and riding a wave in to the shore. One of the most increadable feelings ever. Wish I was 20 years younger and had found this spot. Yes, tired fast. Now time to relax and dry out next to the fire and wait for an awesome sunset to start the night off. Cant wait til next year, will have to figure out how to get back for several more trips. Thank you so much Chris. Thaddeus@dabeach

Date of experience: May 2012
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Luckily, my friends and I met Chris while hitchhiking to Montezuma. We could immediately sense he had great energy and were eager to sign up for his surfing lessons. It was undoubtedly one of my best days on the Nicoya Peninsula- Chris drove us to Playa Hermosa in Santa Teresa, rated one of the best beaches in Costa Rica. It was the perfect environment for a launch into surfing – the waves were gentle and there were few rocks. Wide range

Chris began with a concise introduction to surfing techniques, which were then practiced in the water. He definitely met the individual needs of all the students. Those who were more at ease in the water were given more advanced advice while others needed more basic assistance.

He made sure to allow us to be adventurous and independent students while ensuring our safety- he is enthusiastic, spirited, and one of the best teachers I’ve ever come across. Although sprightly, he gave us time to relax and enjoy the ambiance. Towards the end of the night, we watched an exquisite sunset and were invited to a bonfire by friends of Chris. He is not only a teacher, but a friend to his students and has great connections in the area. The entire experience was spectacular – I wish I could do it everyday!

Date of experience: June 2012
1  Thank adiagodfrey
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Chris Johnson with Montezuma Surf School is truly an awesome person and surf instructor. My 11yr. old daughter and I choose to spend our annual mother/daughter vacation surfing for an entire week in Montezuma. Chris was the 1st person I contacted regarding surfing the area and staying in the area. He was so so helpful in planning this adventure above and beyond the surfing aspect. We spent 7 days, 4-6 hours per day with Chris surfing various beaches in the area. He was amazing. His enthusiasm for the sport and his genuine concern that his students succeed is clear from the moment you meet him. Throughout the week he continued to coach my daughter and I on our advancing skills as well as introduce several families and couples to the great sport of surfing. He is so knowledgable about Costa Rica and specifically about the Montezuma area. We have decided to make surfing in Montezuma an annual event and I feel we have gained not only an awesome surf instructor but a great, life long friend.

Date of experience: April 2012
1  Thank Farrowc
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Prior to surfing with Chris I had only surfed one other time. I tried to surf without any instruction and it did not go so well. Chris not only got all of us (there were 5 newbies) up an surfing waves but I could tell by how efficiently he paced his instruction that he could have made a surfer out of any one of us in now time. Chris is not only very skilled at what he does but he has all of the professionalism and patience that it takes to be an excellent teacher. I am a teacher (albeit not a surf instructor) and Chris proved to me that he is not only an excellent surf instructor, but one of the best teachers I have ever had.

Highly recommended! Nobody will regret this, even if you've never thought of surfing before.

Date of experience: April 2012
2  Thank Divine K
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I had the greatest time surfing with Chris Johnson and his instructor Johan! It was my second lesson ever and it was so helpful. He was so focused on making sure each participant was having a good experience. His teaching on land was clear and his instruction in the water helped solidify my skills on the board. Then he built a bonfire on the beach at sunset which made for a great end to spectacular day. I highly recommend Montezuma surf school if you are looking for surf lessons in the area. Chris is a great guy who is fun to be around and is a great surf instructor.

Date of experience: March 2012