All reviews howler monkeys view from the balcony minute walk low tide the owner the wi fi costa rica every morning cabin hammocks americano trees forest sleeping ocean bugs
Reviewed 16 December 2015 via mobile

We simply loved our bungalow! The simple open air architectur is great! The lights is entering the very spaciois room giving a feeling of beeing outdoor. Great terrace with view of the sunset, lovely hosts, nature all around! The perfect stay!

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2015 via mobile

My sister and I visited in rainy season and were the only guests there, enjoyed a fabulous bungalow with ocean views and relaxing hammocks. The only drawback to low season is lots of the town was closed. We practical had it to ourselves.
The owner herself is sweet, speaks great English, and was incredibly helpful. We took a private boat tour with her brother and saw sea turtles and orcas. Ended up staying an extra 2 days!

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2015

The reviews of this place had me a little apprehensive. But my experience was excellent. This place is a solid 10 minute walk to the little town near Playa Del Carmen beach, but I rented a bike and that made it very easy. There is no dinner served here, so you have to travel out at night to get food. But the staff was super helpful with anything that I needed (the bike, recommendations, a taxi, etc). The morning breakfast was excellent.

Onto the room. I had one of the rustic bungalows and it was awesome. Totally awesome. It's up in the trees surrounded by nature. If you hate bugs or crawly things, it may not be perfect for you (But then again, this whole area may not be right for you. Go to the desert in Palm Springs or something). But if you are ok with being in nature, it was excellent. Incredible view from the balcony morning, noon and night.

It did get hot at times, but the fan in the room made sleeping ok. Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Go for a bungalow up top. I had "Iguana" and it was excellent.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
4  Thank KLAvisitor
Reviewed 25 March 2015

Spent 1 night at this place. The cabins are very nice especially for the price, but the morning manager, an older married guy, started hitting on me as I checked out, asking me for a "goodbye kiss" and pulling me into an unwelcome embrace. When I confronted him, he apologized to my husband (not me) and swore he'd never do it again. I couldn't find anyone higher up to report this egregious conduct to, so have no reason to believe he won't try to do this to other female travelers. Beware! He is not a friendly old grandpa.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank K W
Reviewed 19 March 2015

The Blue Jay lodge offers a great place with a great view, and for a reasonably cheap rate at $60/night, it is fair. Although the stairs leading up to the rooms can be steep and lengthy to climb on a full stomach. But it still is a good place to stay for the price. There are beach access within a two minute walk. The other township are within striking distance, if one drives. Lots of great white sandy surfing beaches and foreign invested restaurants within a mile of Blue Jay lodge. And the howler monkeys always adds a little excitement to the stay. lol. A pleasant stay over-all.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple