All reviewssanta teresathe ownercosta ricalos caracoleslocal friendshandy mangrocery shoppingsuper hostfruit treesbig fridgemy favorite placefew minutes walkrent boardsperfect staygrounds are beautifulgreat surfevery morning
Reviewed 28 January 2013

The intensity of my work requires regular escapes into the quiet jungles of Costa Rica. I have visited Costa Rica 8 times in the last seven years and stayed in many places throughout the country. I have found an area (Mal Pais) that I will return to again and again and accomedations there that I will also use every time I go there - Pacha Mama (mother earth). The eco compound has beautiful gardens, a limited amount of friendly guests and many levels of relaxation. I can go zip lining, horseback riding or surfing or escape to my hammock with a book. If I want excitement - its there. If I want to be alone - that's available also. Great for solo travelers, couples or families. Good for young or old. Google Mal Pais Angela and look at the 4 minutes film and enjoy the flavor of Mal Pais. Peter Trent, Philadelphia, USA

Room Tip: Check out the web site for descriptions and pictures of the facilities
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 January 2013 via mobile

The whole area is filled with animals like howler monkeys, squirrels, parrots, white-face monkeys etc... You can do fishing, surfing, kite-surfing, shops, nice restaurents, walking on the beach, swim in the sea... Other activities are close like montezuma waterfalls, cabo blanco for hiking!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I stayed in Pachamama at the end of the low season traveling solo when it was fairly quiet in the town - Franz went out of his way to make me welcome and help orient me - a thoughtful and really chilled out host. I loved Mal Pais and Pachamama was the perfect accommodation for me - I stayed in a bungalow - simple, rustic and comfortable - authentic and full of soul - and good value. The jungle garden creates a beautifully harmonious setting - 3 nights weren't enough, Mal Pais is great - I didn't want to leave and plan to return, and if I do, I will head straight to Pachamama... Thanks Franz!

Room Tip: I saw all the room and they were all great!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I'll try to keep it short … everything has been written about this place in previous reviews anyway.

My stay in Pachamama was amazing! My friends stayed there a few years ago and highly recommended it. So i went, instantly felt like being home and got stuck there like many before. A few days quickly turned into a few weeks and i'm already planing on going back in winter for a longer stay.

The owner Franz is a great host, he gave me great insider tips and was generally very helpful. The garden is well taken care of by Amancio. There you'll find a lot of plants and animals, right on your doorstep. On a little hill in the rear there's an incredible vista, ideal for watching picture perfect sunsets with the coast in the distance.

I stayed in on of the bungalows, very clean, nice bed and a small kitchen. Everything you need really.

If you're into surfing, there's a nice point break close by, just about 5min by foot. Very good and cheap local food (casado … yammy!) can be found just across the road.

One of the highlights while staying in Malpais was the newest addition to the Pachamama staff: Treetree! What a champ, you can't have a better, cuter neighbor than him. Check out the picture below and you'll know what i'm talking about.

If you're looking for a cozy, laid-back place to spent a few days (or weeks / months), make sure to put Franz's place on top of your list!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Don't miss an opportunity to stay here!!! Everything is possible at Pachamama – surf, yoga, bonfires on the beach at sunset, bbqs, fishing, hikes, day excursions, horseback riding, quad tours… along with peace, harmony and a taste of PURA VIDA! I lived at here for two months this past year and can’t say enough GREAT things about this place.

Besides the fact that you are living in a tropical paradise, the best thing about Pachamama are the people. The folks there ensured that my time with them exceeded my expectations. Franz knows all the sweet spots and will go out of his way to make his guests feel “at home”. Amancio takes phenomenal care of the gardens and never missed an opportunity to wish me a good day or to find out how I was doing. Marisol takes pride in her work as a housekeeper and made sure my bungalow was perfect for me every day. And having been there for two months, I met a lot of the guests, and the people who stay at Pachamama were also SUPER COOL and were an important part of my experience --- everyone wanted to make the most of their time in Mal Pais and were always ready for FUN!

When I was looking for accommodations, I wanted to stay somewhere where I could do my photography and cultivate my yoga practice, which meant I needed secure accommodations and a place that appreciated some solitude. Pachamama met both these criteria --- I felt safe at all times and my yoga practice became a daily part of the rhythm of life at Pachamama.

Some would consider the accommodations at Pachamama to be “basic” but there really isn’t a need for more in this climate. I stayed in one of the bungalows, which was equipped with a fridge, stove, bathroom (with a hot water shower), ceiling fan, hammock, outdoor eating area and a great bed. The bungalow was perfect for me – well organized, clean and private.

If you are looking for a laid-back, authentic experience in Mal Pais, get your @ss to Pachamama! It will likely be the best vacation you’ve ever had!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo