“A wonderful place to stay”

Pachamama Tropical Garden Lodge
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We stayed at Pachamama for 7 days and can only recommend it. Der Franz der kanns! Franz was very helpful in every way, the house that we stayed in was very romantic. For everybody visiting Mal Pais, this is the perfect place to stay, whether you are looking for a quiet retreat or a place to meet good people.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 January 2013

The intensity of my work requires regular escapes into the quiet jungles of Costa Rica. I have visited Costa Rica 8 times in the last seven years and stayed in many places throughout the country. I have found an area (Mal Pais) that I will return to again and again and accomedations there that I will also use every time I go there - Pacha Mama (mother earth). The eco compound has beautiful gardens, a limited amount of friendly guests and many levels of relaxation. I can go zip lining, horseback riding or surfing or escape to my hammock with a book. If I want excitement - its there. If I want to be alone - that's available also. Great for solo travelers, couples or families. Good for young or old. Google Mal Pais Angela and look at the 4 minutes film and enjoy the flavor of Mal Pais. Peter Trent, Philadelphia, USA

Room Tip: Check out the web site for descriptions and pictures of the facilities
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 January 2013 via mobile

The whole area is filled with animals like howler monkeys, squirrels, parrots, white-face monkeys etc... You can do fishing, surfing, kite-surfing, shops, nice restaurents, walking on the beach, swim in the sea... Other activities are close like montezuma waterfalls, cabo blanco for hiking!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I stayed in Pachamama at the end of the low season traveling solo when it was fairly quiet in the town - Franz went out of his way to make me welcome and help orient me - a thoughtful and really chilled out host. I loved Mal Pais and Pachamama was the perfect accommodation for me - I stayed in a bungalow - simple, rustic and comfortable - authentic and full of soul - and good value. The jungle garden creates a beautifully harmonious setting - 3 nights weren't enough, Mal Pais is great - I didn't want to leave and plan to return, and if I do, I will head straight to Pachamama... Thanks Franz!

Room Tip: I saw all the room and they were all great!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I'll try to keep it short … everything has been written about this place in previous reviews anyway.

My stay in Pachamama was amazing! My friends stayed there a few years ago and highly recommended it. So i went, instantly felt like being home and got stuck there like many before. A few days quickly turned into a few weeks and i'm already planing on going back in winter for a longer stay.

The owner Franz is a great host, he gave me great insider tips and was generally very helpful. The garden is well taken care of by Amancio. There you'll find a lot of plants and animals, right on your doorstep. On a little hill in the rear there's an incredible vista, ideal for watching picture perfect sunsets with the coast in the distance.

I stayed in on of the bungalows, very clean, nice bed and a small kitchen. Everything you need really.

If you're into surfing, there's a nice point break close by, just about 5min by foot. Very good and cheap local food (casado … yammy!) can be found just across the road.

One of the highlights while staying in Malpais was the newest addition to the Pachamama staff: Treetree! What a champ, you can't have a better, cuter neighbor than him. Check out the picture below and you'll know what i'm talking about.

If you're looking for a cozy, laid-back place to spent a few days (or weeks / months), make sure to put Franz's place on top of your list!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2 km away
Casa MarBella
Casa MarBella
#1 of 27 in Santa Teresa

Been to Pachamama Tropical Garden Lodge? Share your experiences!