All reviews pollo costa rica closeness miguel monkeys surf trees lounge jungle wildlife santa bungalow
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

We had a great time here. The staff was helpful with side trips and the resort grounds are beautiful. We loved the yoga/training pavilion and the food was a vegetarian delight. Monkeys, horses and cute guard dogs surround. And it’s just a few minutes drive to the town action and a short walk to the beach. Pura vida!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2018

We (family of 4)arrived very late at night after driving from Paquera after a bioiluminescence kayaking trip. We were greeted and shown directly to our room just for that night. There was a small kitchen with large fridge. The bedroom was huge with a king, queen and 2 singles. The bed we chose had to be the most uncomfortable I’ve ever had to sleep on! But we were tired, so got managed to get some sleep. The bathroom was not as expected, it was outdoors. Although slightly nervous about this, it was actually great to use. The breakfast was very good. Plenty of choice and availability. The pool was set in a beautiful garden, with so many butterflies and hummingbirds flying around. Not sure I’d want to stay here for long as the bed was so uncomfortable, but that was really the only problem.

Room tip: One with a comfortable bed!
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 13 February 2018

The hotel is very nice, very good service, fair price, good location. Highly recommended. Rooms are comfortable. Food is good. Quiet ambiance. Silent neighborhood. Close to the beach (doesnt have beachfront but the beach is just a block away).

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

Had an excellent week in this jungle lodge!
I had seen more wildlife here than anywhere else in Costa Rica.
Monkeys,toucan,Iguanas, squirrels all around us.
The room was clean and spacious and maintained every day.
Migel& Marlene ......once again thank you for taking such good care of us.
I already miss your Gallo pinto.

Sonia&Laszlo

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2017

I choose this location because of previous reviews plus its closeness to what seemed to be good photographic opportunities for the shoreline on Google Earth. My expectations were far exceeded in my four day visit.
Pros - 15 min walk down past the Mar Azul Campground and you're on the beach/rocky shorelines. High tide is mesmerizing with thundering surf on the rocks; you can wander for hours exploring the finest tide pools I've ever seen in CR (30 visits for nature photography). Photogenic sunsets and in just a few minutes you're back for a dip in the pool or sitting for dinner. Bed was just right. AC worked great; good fans. Plenty of big, fluffy towels. Pool is well-maintained without a heavy chlorine touch. Plenty of places to lounge/sit in sun/shade. Beautiful gardens with resident howler monkeys and spiny-tailed iguanas that clatter across the roof tops on sunny days.
Marlenne prepares and serves the complementary breakfast each morning and it's perhaps the top breakfast I've ever had: fruit smoothie, gallo pinto with either toast or tortillas with sour cream, cheese, eggs, and bowl of cut fruit (incl mangos from their trees), and really good coffee. Super friendly staff esp. Miguel who promptly answered my emails and arranged van transport to / from Alajuela via the Puntarenas-Paquera ferry (highly recommended as an outing in itself).

Cons - (nit picking) Plenty of hot water but low pressure; no big deal. Bathroom light was a small fixture on the ceiling so my face was always in deep shade in the mirror (maybe a good thing?) so shaving (when I did shave) was more by touch. Hey, I was on vacation.

15 min drive into "downtown" Santa Theresa for long walks on the beach. Very photogenic because of the tremendous geological diversity of sand, pebbles, and boulders. Lively "beach/bar" scene but great for families with small children.

Am already planning a second visit when I'll have a car (4wd to deal with the Cobano-Malpais Pothole Slalom) and be able to range further up/down the coast.

Room tip: Junior Suite Rm #1 was very dark and unlike the website pix, so I asked for another and #10 - room for four, refrigerator!
Date of stay: May 2017