All reviews infinity pool private beach villa caletas our honeymoon the main hotel egypt room oriental room costa rica every staff member amazing trip hotel villa house keeping main pool full bathrooms amazing hotel king bed view of the ocean
Reviewed 21 January 2018

Thinking back to my stay here when visiting Costa Rica still makes me happy. It was the second stay following a business trip at another property that had been disappointing. The Zephyr Palace was anything but! After driving up a bumpy road, you pull up to this amazing mansion/hotel on a hill. It was breathtaking! We had the hotel practically to ourselves the few days we stayed here. Privacy, striking infinity pool and roomy suites made our stay. One negative is there are no little perks like poolside drink or lunch service, but it was not a big issue.Friendly staff, lush grounds and really a unique hotel.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Suzysme
Reviewed 5 January 2018

We traveled to Costa Rica for the second time with in 9 months of each other. This time our stay was at Zephyr palace/Villa callita. We flew into SJO and hired a private driver to take us the hour and 20 min to villa callitas. The drive was nice and our driver was great and let us stop and take pics along the way. When we arrived a zephyr palace/villa callitas it was so beautiful and clean. They upgraded our rooms and we were in rooms 23,24 and 25. They were amazing! We had hot tubs on each of our patios with amazing views. The staff was amazing!! My daughter came down with a cold once we got there and we had no medicine with us. The waiter had the bartender mix her up a hot toddy with honey, lemon, tea and whiskey (she is 21) and it helped her feel better the next day! Every staff member was so friendly and really tried to make our stay the best experience and they succeeded! The views are unbelievable and the place is breathtaking. The food was top notch! I don't think we had one bad thing there! My niece is only 11 and is a tad more picky with food selection and the chefs would go out of their way to make whatever she was requesting even tho it wasn't on the menu! I read the bad review from a person who traveled here and they mentioned the place was not clean and I would have to say this was the cleanest place and I was shocked by their review! We travel often and this is a place we will come back to again and again. We have stayed at several all inclusive resorts in other countries and I have relaxed but this place bought me to my zen and its the first time I have ever just completely enjoyed every minute of my stay! Thank you Zephyr Palace for the most amazing trip and the excellent welcoming staff you have at your place! From the ground crew to the wait staff to the chefs and concierge they are top notch! One name I want to mention that is on your staff and he is part of grounds crew is Eber (Edherd) he was the most helpful and friendly workers!

Room Tip: We had room 23, 24 and 25. And they are great but 24 is my favorite
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank 872kat
Reviewed 5 November 2017

We stayed in the New World Suite at the Zephyr Palace for 5 days in October 2017 on the second leg of our vacation/honeymoon (first stop was Nicaragua). What led us to this resort is Groupon where we chose a five night stay and it was worth every penny. The Zephyr Palace is seven rooms and almost a boutique hotel as part of the Hotel Villa Caletas. It's on the same property, but you need a golf cart to get there. You enjoy all the amenities of Hotel Villa Caletas, but you are tucked away up the hill in your own world (a good thing)!

We organized transportation to and from the airport through the hotel ($210 roundtrip) and it was great not having to worry about that. Our driver (I believe it was Jose!) was fantastic from moment one welcoming us and basically playing tour guide during the 1.5 hour drive to the hotel (it went by so quickly)! We arrived an hour before check-in so while they were finishing getting our room ready, we went ahead and enjoyed lunch at the restaurant (the only time we actually ate lunch-I ordered fish tacos and they were delicious-looks like the lunch menu had a TON of vegetarian options-FYI)! The captain found out we were there on our honeymoon and arranged for a special dessert for us that evening.

The restaurant is just down the hill from the Zephyr Palace and golf carts will take you back and forth (we never waited longer than 5 minutes and it only took a quick phone call)! Also-shout out to Henry-he was just the friendliest person and always had a smile on his face!

The New World Suite was at the bottom of the steps in the Zephyr Palace and we had the place to ourselves during our stay. The suite has its own patio and pathway to the pool (hot tub on the patio with stunning views)! King size bed, huge bathroom and bathtub, and just lots of space overall. We enjoyed the infinity pool to ourselves the entire time we were there. It was absolutely amazing! You couldn't tell where the infinity pool ended and the ocean and sky began! Apparently we were there right before the busy season started (mid-October) and we knew it was rainy season, but it only rained a little bit while we were there. The temperature was amazing at 85 degrees each day, but it never felt too hot.

We thought the food at the restaurant was delicious! The service is IMPECCABLE. Jocksan remembered our names every time we saw him and is the epitome of hospitality for Costa Rica! I can't remember the captain's names, but one who seems like the strong silent type was just fantastic! We didn't make reservations while we were there since it was low season, but we can see how this place gets very busy during the busier times of year! At dinner, you're served an amuse bouche which is always a nice touch! We also took advantage of room service one morning for breakfast and we loved that too!

The hotel has a shuttle down to their private beach that we finally took advantage of our last day. It was only us and another couple who'd been there three years prior and returned because they enjoyed it so much. The beach has several cabanas and also regular lounge chairs for you to relax on and enjoy the sun. There's also clean bathrooms, a shaded, area, and a restaurant/bar where you can enjoy some drinks and eats. Wilson was our server while we were down there and he was just so friendly, helpful, and overall fantastic! We even fed Taco, the resident coati, who is adorable and friendly. There are towels available for you upon arrival and bug spray. Take advantage of the beach if you can!

There is a small shop full of lots of supplies adjacent to the front desk so if you forgot something, need souvenirs, or want to do a little jewelry shopping it's available.

We had a very early flight back to the States and we easily arranged our return transportation to the San Jose airport. The trip back didn't take as much time due to it being early and traffic not being as bad. The San Jose Airport was easy to navigate too!

We didn't leave the resort while we were there and didn't need to. We went to relax and did just that. Our time at the Zephyr Palace was just amazing and we've already had people ask us about it and say they want to go. Costa Rica is an amazing country and we loved every minute we spent there!

Room Tip: New World Suite was spacious, had its own hot tub on the patio, and the bathroom was huge!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank thegretchmyster
Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

This hotel is unexpected in every way. One man’s fantasy perched on a hilltop overlooking the sea. It comes complete with a fake Roman amphitheater and themed rooms. We had the Africa suite which has stunning ocean views and hilarious bad taste in African kitsch. We loved it. The place is vast and the staff drive you around in golf buggies. The food is average but the view from the terrace is wonderful. We can’t say we’d make an effort to return but it’s on our list of unforgettable hotels of the world.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UncleVanya2014
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

This amazing hotel/mansion is the most breath taking place I have ever seen so far in my life. If you love to be in touch with nature surrounded by tropical forests,diverse type of birds, beautiful iguanas, gorgeous battle flyies , lovely blue skies and amazing views to the ocean from infinity pools then this is the perfect place for you. The hotel is located in the top of the hill from where you'll be able to contemplate amazing scenarios of landscape wherever you go within the hotel. Event though the hotel has a lot of Greek mythology decorations, it has a French build up structure. Because the hotel is located in top of the hill it makes it a very quiet place to relax away from loud noises. The hotel is about 25 mnts from the main town called Jaco where you'll be able to find local tico food, nightclubs located in terraces with nice music. To go to Jaco you will need to pay a taxi fare that will be of $20 u.s. So you will need $40 for the round trip. The hotel has its own restaurant located at the amphitheater which is a little expensive but worth the money as the food is so delicious. Most of the time I was in the hotel I paid in us dollars I will recommend you to get familiar with the currency money(colones) out there as most of the time if you pay in dollars , your refund will be in colones. The trick to know how much you'll be paying for an item is to either divide the price by the cost of the currency.The dollar overthere is worth 530 colones meaning if you buy something for 6000 colones divided by 530 and the result is what you'll be paying in dollars or more simple if the item cost 6000 colones you add another 6000 and the price in us $ will be $12 dollars in conclusion everytime you buy something with Currency money outthere just add another half of the price and that will be your total in dollars. The Rooms in the Zephyr palace are amazing some of them are just like big apartments with private huge hallways with amazing views towards the ocean and forests. In the private hallways you have a huge bathtub an inside the room as well. My room name was called "The Real" an amazing beautiful huge room. The infinity pools at the Zephyr palace are breathtaking from the pool you can appreciate the most memorable views towards the ocean, forest etc. To go to the pools you use the elevator. Security is a plus in the hotel as they always making rounds. For room service, transportation or anything call always the main number "100" and they will assist you with anything you may need. The beach, although the area around the beach was beautiful, from my own perspective I do not like to swing with stones therefore be ready to find plenty of stones in the beach. The staff: The staff was amazing from the staff that works at the concierge to the bottom boys, and the housekeeping they were all very polite, professionals and very helpful. In order to go from the Zephyr palace to other places in the hotel all you got to do is called "100" and they will send the bottom boys to pick you up any time you wish. Some of the staff at the Villa Caletas/Zephyr Palace hotel that were excellent and display a high level of professionalism were: Karol Castillo at the concierge she is the person in charge of excursions and provide crucial information if you needed. Karol was very helpful, polite and attentive and courteous all the time ready to answer questions. Laura Castrillo another wonderful lady, nice and courteous. Jesus Adaniz always nice and professional. There were always three bottom boys that were very helpful, professionals and always on time when you needed to be pick up they were:Geovanny Talavera, Richard Montoya and Henry Sanchez .The three of them were very nice with a great sense of humor. The house keeping gilr I believe her name was Marina Elizabeth?? She did a wonderful job cleaning our room and decorating our towels with roses. To all the staff I can't not thank you enough for the magnificent professional job you guys did for us. Thanks a bunch "PURA VIDA"

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends