2,049 results
All reviews coffee plantation driving range beautiful hotel the executive lounge costa rica san jose close to the airport peruvian restaurant la isabela beautiful grounds sports bar tennis courts gift shop hacienda style golf course main restaurant industrial area
Reviewed 10 January 2016

Spent our last night of an awesome Costa Rica active sports vacation supposedly "chilling" at this Marriott by the airport.

The good:

Great looking hotel building, with hacienda "atmosphere"
Comfortable rooms with comfortable beds and good linens
Great Peruvian restaurant - ate there successfully on two stays (before and after trip) - much better than the regular restaurant or sports bar
Very pleasant cafe open all the time
Great gym by any standards, but unexpected in a "close to the airport" hotel
Spa looked good, but didn't do any treatments
Great and expansive grounds with lovely plantings and many views - hills, tennis courts, pool, golf course, etc.
Great value for the money.

The bad:

As I said at the beginning, the point of our stay was to "chill" for a day after an active vacation. Problem was - our accompaniment during EVERY HOUR OF THE ENTIRE DAY (i.e. for us 10:00 am to 5:30 pm) in ANY location on the property (by either pool, by the hot tub, by the sports bar, by the all-day cafe at front of hotel was CONSTANT LEAF BLOWING (yes the kind we have the the northeast that people wear earplugs to do) and LAWN MOWING. Really guys? It was astounding. And when I mean all the time, I mean it felt like all the time. It was ridiculous. Sitting all afternoon by the pool, first the lawn mowers were going by the hot tub, so I moved to the lower pool; as soon as I moved the leaf blower started on the lawn (I think it was a golf course) below the sports bar/restaurant (i.e. next to the pool). I moved to the cafe, and the lawn mowers were over there. As I said the grounds are beautiful and they are wonderfully tended (as I could see and hear); I just wish they could tend them without creating such a racket for the guests.

I just read the prior review and I can also attest to a weird perfume or chemical smell in my room (525), which I mentioned to my husband when we checked in. It only bothered me a little (as in, I noticed it) but it did not affect me physically. I've smelled worse. It didn't smell like mildew and it didn't smell like disinfectant. It smelled like some mild (and unnecessary) "hotel" perfume.

All in all this was good value for the money, and very lovely in many ways. It would have been perfect without the contstant groundskeeping.

Room tip: We had two views - pool and tennis courts and both were fine.
Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Adriana M, Social Media Coordinator at Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2016

Hello,

Thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope that you can come back and experience a treatment at the spa, we recommend a coffee scrub, it is delicious!

As we live in a vast property with plenty of green areas, we do need to keep the grounds, this is scheduled to happen at times when the guests are not around, with the purpose of maintaining the distractions to the minimum, we are sorry you felt troubled by this activities.

Still, we want to thank you for your feedback and preference when choosing your stay.

Adriana M

Reviewed 5 January 2016 via mobile

This hotel is close to the airport and nothing else. It's in an industrial area so nothing near by to walk to. We checked in and checked out after we saw the room. For a Marriott the room was very dated and had a mildew smell. Can ride to downtown San Jose was about $30 bucks each way. If you want to close to things, this is not the place for you.

Date of stay: December 2015
César S, Manager at Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2016

Dear Mr. David M.

It is always an honor for us to count with your valuable feedback to make us improve constantly.

We agree that our hotel is ear the airport and city and we consider our property an oasis by the city of San José.

I would like to assist you next time you visit our hotel coordinating great transportation options and tours, I am sure you deserve a great vacation time and we look forward to see you again.

Reviewed 4 January 2016

Wow.... my stay here was absolutely spectacular. Thank you to the entire team for making the stay here with my boyfriend amazing right before Christmas! I would have filled out the Marriott survey as well but never received one..... Special THANK YOU to JOSE - one of the bellman who assisted us with our luggage during check-in (He mentioned he also worked in different departments within the hotel). Sweet guy and very professional! He really personalized the stay here with us and really made us feel welcome. He helped us make sure got a great room (pool and mountain views) after the first room we entered did not have a great view. He immediately noticed my displeasure on my face and called down to the desk to see what he can do. Within minutes we were moved and the views were amazing! Since it was our first time there we were forever grateful! The hotel is beautiful and very central to everything. If you are going to book excursions, make sure you book most of them before you arrive (which we did) so everything was all set and all we needed to do was get our vouchers printed. They only have two desks there so if it is busy you might be waiting a bit. However, TAM was very effective and gave great recommendations.

Thank you to the team you have a great hotel and great staff. Keep it up.

Room tip: Ask for mountain views on the pool side
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hello,

Thank you for your review! We are very pleased to know you had a nice stay and that you got to experience the art of hosting we are very well known for. We will pass on your congratulations to our staff, we know they are really love what they do!

Reviewed 4 January 2016 via mobile

We booked here literally just to spend the night after landing at the airport and before taking the road the morning after to Playa Conchal. First, it is literally next door to the car rental centre, so extremely convenient. Secondly, instead of finding a place with no soul we were surprised to enjoy a lot of colonial character, beautiful service and lush gardens. In sum, we thought it was going to be a wasted night and it turned out to be a real trip highlight! Wonderful breakfast, with kids admitted for free if their parents go for the full buffet instead of a la carte. The view from the terrace is out of this world. And everything for super reasonable prices. If you are thinking of spending one night in San Jose in similar circumstances, there is no better option I am sure.

Date of stay: January 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family

Hello,

Thank you for your comments. So glad you got to enjoy the vibrance of our hotel. It is really the people that makes it what is! Costaricans are warm and friendly, many guests say this is very distant from the typical airport hotel and we work daily to make sure it stays that way.

Reviewed 4 January 2016

Not sure when this hotel was built, but they made it look like a hotel in the rubric period. Beautiful location, excellent views, and a very nice staff from the front desk to the dinner and bar staff.

We had a room located near where corridors cross and it was loud at times. I would stay near the end the next time.

And, there is a small coffee grove on the premises to take a close up look at.

Free wi if if a Marriott Rewards member.

• Trip type: Travelled with family

Hello,

Our hotel was built in 1996, it is inspired in a Coffee hacienda and many of the artwork, doors, and the central patio, were imported from colonial constructions in Latin America, that is why it feel so ancient.
We recommend a room with a view to the driving range on your next visit!

See you soon dear guest! Warm regards,