“1st visit to costa rica.... pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN Tamarindo Vista Villas
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
clearwater, fl
“1st visit to costa rica.... pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Over the years we have heard many stories & reviews of trips / vacations to costa rica.....so decided to give it a try. Flying into Liberia CR made the most sense, new airport & only an hour from Tamarindo....a pleasant beach village. Our hotel the Best Western Vista Villas has a great location, on the side of a hill...facing the ocean...a five minute walk to the beach or into the commerical stores. A ten minute distance to a larger grocery store... Our suite, very reasonability priced, with a limited ocean view turned out to be much better than expected.( 1/3 of what it cost in Aruba last February). Over the week it was well maintained by a very pleasant housekeeper.....Jesenia.

Trevor, the property manager, was helpful and informative in dicsussing options of activities and some "local " Costa Rica points of interest. Michelle from Germany...excellent waitress and we found the hotel restaurant had more than enough choices for anytime of day. Previously on reviews I saw complaints about the breakfast....for us, it worked out, juices, fresh fruit, pastry & plenty of great coffee / a must !!!.... And, we certainly had the option to order omlets, french toast, etc.... Several mornings I chose that option and would recommend it.

My only constructive comment would be for Trevor to ask the staff to keep the bar / pool music at a reasonable level. The day he was off, the pool became a little over-run with local teens and the music was jacked up a bit. The word was obviously out that he was not on the property that one day.

Over all it was a great get-away week, IF you like being secluded and have a great beach to walk and watch surfers, this is the place. Local restaurants, which there were plenty , all good from our experience ...Prices simular to what we pay here in Clearwater, FL.
Hopefully this helps.....ENJOY!!!!!

Room Tip: I would choose one of the #100 level suites.... reasonable price, plenty of space, away from the po...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kenrickeh
EllenZoe, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Tamarindo Vista Villas, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thanks for your very thorough and positive review of our hotel. We see that you were very happy with our location on the hill, which affords us our beautiful ocean views. In addition, you were pleased with your room, which was a Tropical Suite. This is our basic suite which is spacious in and of itself. You get a bedroom, living room, kitchen, and a patio with a garden and partial ocean view.

It’s great when someone appreciates our continental breakfast, which offers pastry, cereal, toast, fresh fruit, juice and coffee or tea. As you said, there is, for a small extra charge, a full breakfast menu as well. That’s probably where you saw Trevor. He’s always up at breakfast chatting with the guests about Tamarindo and its highlights.

If you decide you want another great getaway week, we’d love to accommodate you. A Tropical suite will be ready and of course, we’ll be at the restaurant waiting for your order.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Marcos, Virginia, Santiago, Melissa, Adolfo and Marica are the number one reason to visit and stay at the Best Western. I visited in February 2012. Helpful, kind, friendly and very knowledge about Costa Rica culture and hot spots. These guys made my vacation the most memorable. I could forever cherish their friendship and bond. There’s no need to hangout anywhere else other than the Best Western. The Crazy Money kept the hottest party in town. I felt comfortable and at peace, the breathtaking view of the ocean made me forget snowy New York City. I even tired to change my flight to stay longer in CR. I’ve travelled to more than 20 counties but this vacation experience will forever be my favorite……
Surfing lesson available at the Best Western great prices. The ocean is right across the street you could never go wrong…….pick Best Western…

xoxo
Bobbi

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for calling out the great staff we have here at the Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas. We’re so glad that you felt comfortable with everybody and that friendships were formed. The Crazy Monkey Bar is a great place to meet people, and the staff here are wonderful hosts. We’re glad you mentioned the Waves Costa Rica Surf Shop. As the only Roxy/Quiksilver surf camp in Latin America, they are really qualified to give great surf lessons, as well as accommodate the experienced surfer looking for tips or a guide.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Best Western Tamarindo. The prices a great deal for what you get. The rooms are nice, clean and the location is perfect. A few blocks from the main area so you're not in the middle of the chaos all the time. The staff are amazing. From the minute we got there they treated us like friends and made us feel at home. Marcos, Virginia, Santiago, Melissa, Fernando and Marcia are all great people and really made our stay a good one. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for the nice review. It’s really appreciated that you had nice enough time with us to write about our value. I mean, where else in Tamarindo can you get a good, clean hotel room for $94-$159 and also get a beautiful ocean view? And our staff make friends so easily, glad you are now one of them!
Laguna Vista, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I visited the Vista Villas 10 months ago & had such a good time that I had to go back. First off, the Vista Villas has one of the best ocean views you will ever find. It's a short walk down the hill to a white sand beach w/ a great surfing break just north. I surfed every morning at least 3 hours.

When I wasn't surfing I spent the majority of the day & night at the hotel. I was on an "all inclusive" plan so all meals & non-call beverages were included in one price. Actually, I had made reservations months before & when the "all inclusive" option became available, the registration staff(Erika, Adolfo & Santiago) made the changes on arrival.

My room was ready on arrival & it was on the top floor right above my previous room. The view is amazing. Rooms are basic w/ a full size bed, dresser, night stand TV & safe. It is advisable to keep passport, cell phones, computers, etc. in the safe when not in use, though I thoroughly trusted my housekeeper, Sandra.

The restaurant & bar are next to the pool w/ another killer view. The bar tenders are also the restaurant wait staff. Fernando was there on my last trip & remembered me. Most of the others were students from Argentina on their "Summer" break. Marcia, Melissa & Virginia along w/ Marcia's brother Marcos took care of me for breakfast, lunch, happy hour & dinner for my entire stay. Rounding out the wait staff were Michelle from Germany along w/ Javier & Evelyn who are native Costa Ricans. These people really are fantastic.

As everything was included, this made for a very relaxed time. No worries about where to eat as the menu was tasty & filling, but not flashy. Since the sun goes down around 6:00 PM year round, it was nice not to have to walk on narrow & not well lit streets for dinner.

Would I go back again? You bet! Can't thank Trevor & all his staff enough for very memorable trip to paradise.

Room Tip: Most of the 300 series rooms have the best view.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Bill_PT
Wow, we really are grateful for this wonderful review. We know how important it is for guests to express themselves positively here on Trip Advisor, and you really did us proud. We remember you, sitting at the bar after surfing, chatting up the staff. No wonder you became friends with everyone. The all-inclusive is a great idea for someone who wants to be carefree about their meals, and we offer everything in this plan, from casados, to mahi mahi with salsa, to pizza or quesadillas and whatever else is on our menu. The Corona Deluxe room is our best suite, and is spacious with its one bedroom, living room, kitchen and balcony. You can’t beat the gorgeous ocean view from up there!

Please do come back soon. Your seat at the Crazy Monkey Bar is waiting.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I have recently stayed 6 nights at this hotel. The hotel is in a perfect location just across the road from the beach and very close to the local bars and shops, the view from the bar/pool is amazing.

The rooms are a good size and the beds are comfortable but the bathrooms desperately need updating the showers do not have much power so it was very hard to properly wash you hair and the bathrooms need retiling. There were big gaps on the patio doors so we had lots of insects/frogs/lizards and worst of all mosquitoes. The breakfast was ok but we had better breakfasts in other hotels including eggs/pancakes.

That’s the bad things and they can be easily fixed, now onto the good things the staff are absolutely fantastic every member of staff was very kind, helpful and friendly made you feel like part of the family and I would keep going back to the hotel because of the staff alone.

Room Tip: They have ladies night on a Friday night unfortunately we missed it but if you do not want to be dis...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jaykay83
EllenZoe, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Tamarindo Vista Villas, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
We are really pleased that you had a good stay with us and wrote about it here. Our staff works hard to accommodate our guests and make sure that everyone leaves smiling and happy. Thank you for the kind words and we will take to heart your suggestions. By the way, although the rooms come with a free continental breakfast, we also offer an additional breakfast menu with everything eggs to french toast.