“Stay calm and cosy in tropical heat. The name says it all!”
Review of Hotel Kunterbunt

Hotel Kunterbunt
Reviewed 16 March 2016

It started with a friendly chat over FB, Tommi the Owner is always at help with some kind advise if you need to know anything regarding a short holiday by the Pacific side of Costa Rica, or in my case, being German in Costa Rica. When I finally had the opportunity to visit, I did not find a first class Villa but a creative home for a traveller abroad by the Sea. Its a realistic 3.5 minute walk to the Beach. If this is to urgent you dip into his lovely Jacousie before you head for the waves. They are slightly calmer than in other areas of Puntarenas or Guanacaste. There are flowers and trees in his Garden with many cosy chill out corners ready for you.You find shadow, tropical birds too, all in simple but clean and most welcoming hippie happy style environment. Its fun being there however if you look for Partytime or luxurious stay, this is not the Place! Its quiet, calm, colourful, clean and most of all you will feel you stay with friends. If you are lucky, his Girlfriend Ute will be there too, and you can enjoy one of her special Arjuveda style treatments. All in all a great tropical place to be, its eficiently run with Bavarian charm by Tommi. I'd love to be back anytime.

Room Tip: Choose the top floor to take great photos from birds around you.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 November 2015

I found peace here. A guest house tucked away from the noise of Samara Centro. A place to experience la pura vida. My room was painted colorfully, and felt like home. So much so that I stayed for an extra FOUR WEEKS on top of the two I booked. Thomas took very good care of me - offering me food or various treats from time to time. My room would be cleaned at least once a week, and my sheets changed. The neighborhood is quiet and the beach is only a few steps away. I would stay here again, and hope one day I have a life as beautiful and tranquill as Thomas done.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 March 2015 via mobile

Such a beautiful place nearby the beach.
The rooms was clean and we had a very nice time!
Everything you need is there, friendly owner, cozy pool to cool down, open air kitchen.
Some people wrote that the water didn't work, sometimes that happens, because tha water pump quits working. In that case you just tell it the owner and he starts it again, so no reason to worry.
We didn't feel unsafe there, the neighbours are friendly as well and there is a dog, which would bark if anybody came in at night - sonething like this never happend!
To the centre of samara is just a 15 minutes walk at the beautiful beach.

We had a fantastic time there!!

Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2015 via mobile

Now renamed the above with the same owner - yes it is out of the way (so much so that it is nowhere 20 minutes from the town), quiet and private but unfortunately this is where it goes downhill. Generally on a poor state of repair, water system on and off regularly and not good clean quality, communal kitchen smelly due to sink not being plummet in and water simply running onto ground, outside area overgrown and so called pool dirty. Our room was lean and upstairs bathroom nice.
We left for and other hostel in the town for the remainder of our stay

Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 December 2014

Villa Kunterbunt was the perfect choice for my visit to Samara, I couldn't have picked a better place especially for the price!!! Travelling by myself I felt very safe and secure and the room and grounds are very beautiful, clean, organized and very welcoming. It also fully met my needs like wifi, private bath/shower, community kitchen and some local info. And Thomas is super-nice and helpful! I hope to be back sometime soon :)

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
#15 of 16 in Playa Samara
Hotel Playa Samara
Hotel Playa Samara
#14 of 32 in Playa Samara

Been to Hotel Kunterbunt? Share your experiences!