1,042 results
All reviewsswim up barall inclusive packagewild horsesair canadacosta ricabeachfront villaall inclusive plansmaller resortgreat resortadventure tourwear water shoesbar tenderfacing the oceanhorseback ridingchora islandzip lininglow tide
Reviewed 21 August 2010

This place has so much potential with it's beautiful location but unfortunately fell way short of our expectations. We had reserved a 2 BR ocean view unit which was not ready when we arrived at 5 p.m. They must have done a rush job cleaning it because it reeked of cleaning solution and still wasn't very clean. Even if it had been cleaned properly the unit obviously wasn't well maintained. The lights over the bathroom sink didn't work, the screens were torn, and the floors were sticky and dirty to the point where you didn't feel comfortable walking around barefoot. I'm not a clean freak but this place was gross and smelled bad. The service in the restaurant was horrible and the food very mediocre. People who came in after us were waited on before us, hopefully not because they were Ticos and we were gringos. We had to listen to horrible loud music coming from the pool area until late at night. The grassy area between the units and the ocean became a swamp due to heavy rain and when you walked through it smelled like you were walking through a flooded septic system. We spent 1 night there and were so miserable we called our booking agent and had them transfer our reservation to another place which turned out to be wonderful. I'm so glad we changed hotels as this was the last stop on an otherwise perfect vacation and would have been a horrible note to end on.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank margaret80550
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Villa Playa Samara

My husband and I returned to the Hotel Villa Playa Samara this past June eleven years after we went there on a family vacation with our two children. We were pleasantly surprised to find the road paved from the town of Samara to the hotel which is about a five minute drive. The hotel is on a lovely beach where you can walk for miles. June is not a touristy time of year so it was especially peaceful and relaxing. We went there to relax and see parts of the Guanacaste Peninsula that we had not visited on our prior trip. There is some wildlife that roams the hotel grounds such as iguanas, mapache and many species of birds. The rooms do not have phones or TV but they do have air conditioning, kitchen and are kept clean daily. We enjoyed an ocean view and each day walked on the beach, read books and went on excursions. My husband likes to fish on pangas and made arrangements to be picked up in front of the hotel for a half day of fishing. I opted to have an hour massage for thirty dollars. It was wonderful! The staff at Villa Playas Samara are outstanding. Laura Gutierrez of guest services assists with travel arrangements, restaurant referrals, resort activities and having a good time. The office reception was very friendly and helped us make calls when they were needed. We found that we had a flat tire one morning and the security man quickly assisted my husband in changing the tire and the office staff called the auto rental company. They also surprised me with a birthday cake and flowers on my birthday. The pool was clean and inviting and it was nice to be able to order appetizers and drinks by the pool. One of our day drives was to Punta Islita. It took an hour and a half on some paved roads through Carrillo but mostly on unpaved roads. But, the visit to the Punt Islita Resort was worth the drive. We have visited most the beach towns from the Papagao Peninsula to Samara and will return to the Hotel Villas Playa Samara. We enjoy Samara, the beaches, restaurants, people and atmosphere. We especially like the Hotel Villa Samara because it is somewhat secluded and private and the staff was wonderful. We read prior to our visit that the villas were in need of some remodeling. While they were comfortable we did hear while we were there that remodeling will be coming.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laurie48
Reviewed 24 July 2010

My wife and I and our two small children travelled to this part of Costa Rica mainly to look at real estate and relax after a busy number of months at work. We had a long travel day, but eventually arrived around 10pm. We were very impressed with the level of service from Laura G. and the rest of guest services. Laura arranged to have pizza and beer delivered to our house while we wrestled two little kids to sleep, and got settled in. Everyday she greeted us with a great smile and checked on how we were doing. When my company required my signature on some confidential material, the girls at guest services had everything printed out for me, and handled faxing everything back to Canada. Very professional. I enjoyed the restaurant and found the service to be great. The beach was right out my front door. When we were not out exploring the area, I spent most days going back and forth from the ocean to the pool with my daughter. Great location. Great staff.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2010

Excellent service, willing all the time to fullfill every inquiry or need.
The rooms had excellent welcoming and cozy designs in all the details.
The location of the hotel is very appropiate with Samara downtown just 5 minutes away. With a small island in front of it were you can go sailing or kayak.
The pool is just perfect for swiming or relaxing with pool bar and jacuzzi.
The amenities in the hotel are getting better everytime with pool table, hockey table and xBox ans Wii for little ones.
In generel is an execellent development in design, service and location.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed 24 May 2010

What a good time! Samara beach is beautiful! Soft sand and warm and blue sea that you will love to look at from your hamac! The hotel is very calm, secure and good ambiance. The hotel restaurant service and food is awsome. For night live, Samara down town is very cool and at reasonable distance from the hotel. The villas are great. Complete kitchen and bathroom, clean towel and bed sheet. In Brief, the only thing I did not enjoy about that hotel is that I had to leave it!! Enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family