1,055 results
All reviews swim up bar all inclusive package wild horses air canada costa rica beachfront villa all inclusive plan smaller resort great resort bar tender horseback riding chora island kayak trip zip lining water shoes low tide liberia airport
Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

Our family recently stayed at Hotel Villas Playa Samara for 1 week and are already planning our next visit.

The hotel grounds are not only beautiful but they are also extremely accessible for strollers or people with mobility issues. We loved our 2 bedroom villa with ocean views. The crib for the baby was the best we have had at any resort we have stayed at. The added bonus of a kitchen was a welcome addition. The drive to Samara from the hotel is short and you can stock up on any additional supplies you need. The bedrooms were air conditioned and the rest of the villa stayed cool throughout the night and day. It would have been nice to have drinks in the room stocked daily and room service, however we managed and it was a non issue the whole stay.

The beach was beyond beautiful. Most days we were the only ones on it, except for the wild horses. You can easily walk to Samara and explore the beach for miles.

The hotel staff were amazing. Everyone went out of their way to ensure we enjoyed our stay. Accommodations were made at every meal for our baby to ensure she had food she enjoyed. It was beyond appreciated. The food was incredible and we did not have a bad meal. Everyone from the front desk staff to the groundskeepers were super friendly and were always willing to help. No issue was to big or small.

We found the tour group Monkey Tours at the hotel to be awesome and we booked several trips with them. We highly recommend using them. We went whale watching and took a beach tour. Both were incredible and can't wait to book more when we return again.

This is not a big party hotel. It is wonderful for people who want to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. This is the perfect hotel for people travelling with babies.

We were concerned about the construction going on next door before we arrived. We barely heard a thing. Please do not let this turn you off, it is a non issue.

We have been to many hotels in Costa Rica and this was by far our best visit yet. You won't regret staying here.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2018

When I got there, the front desk and I had to make a total of 3 calls to believe I had all inclusive package. Not a good start. Not many people where there, food was average. hotel room was good though. I would not go back only because distance from San Jose was too far. Be aware that construction is going on if you plan to go.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Richard S
Reviewed 29 August 2018

I took my wife to Costa Rica for her birthday. The hotel staff made it truly memorable by covering our bed with balloons. I'd post some pictures but there doesn't seem to be that option. The food selection however left somewhat to be desired. This is definitely not a party hotel as we were always the last to head back to our room usually around 11 PM. Very nice family resort though.

Stayed: April 2018
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

All the staff was so kind and special with us, special regards to Eduardo Vargas and Denise (receptionist) for the sweet and kind service we are so thanksfully for all.

And Andrey the another receptionst was so nice with my family too.

We hope come back again! We love villas playas Samara!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2018

I was prepared to be amazed for our first time in Costa Rica and was a little let down by the hotel we stayed in. While it absolutely has the potential to be amazing, perhaps our being there in the low season detracted from the experience. To begin, there is a lot of construction going on as they are adding a beautiful new addition of a 2 and 3 story hotel to the Villas area. I believe it will be residences as well as hotel rooms. Consequently, the driveways and parking areas are pretty desperate from all of the vehicles and we had a lot of difficulty finding parking. We were treated to an "upgrade" for a Junior Suite from a Deluxe Room.

Not that any of it was bad enough for us to leave, there were a number of "issues".
-no one helped us to find our room or help get our luggage there.
- the A/C did a beautiful job cooling the bedroom. Only. The living room and kitchen had a standing fan to move the hot air around. We were in the bedroom for the most part if we were in the room at all. However, this same A/C was situated to blast directly at the heads of people laying in bed. I spent a lot of time with the sheets and blanket over mine to keep the cold off. If you turned the fan down, it was too hot.
-not one of the vertical blinds opened or closed. They were all seized. Shut or open. Thankfully, all of the bedroom ones were closed and all of the living area ones were open. The windows behind the bedroom ones had broken seals anyway and the windows were fogged over.
-the lounge chairs on our patio were very dirty and one was unuseable.
-the "sofa" upholstery had a 3 inch tear in one of the cushion covers and all of the covers were stained and quite dirty.
-We did not get coffee for the room for the first 4 days of our stay.
-there were bare wires hanging from the light fixture in the bathroom
-the soap dispensers in the shower and beside the sink are empty. The front desk advised that they no longer use them and provide cake soap instead (well, one 1.5 inch square). Maybe they should remove the dispensers?
-lots of insects in all rooms. Ants, cockroaches and wasps.
-floors were neither swept nor mopped during our stay.
-despite following instructions, our linens were replaced every day. We were happy to reuse them for several and save some resources, but they were replaced (weird thing to complain about, I know).

As I said -- none of these were things that ruined our vacation or made us complain to have fixed. As a traveller, I prefer to know that while the property is getting a lot of investment in the new construction, they should also be providing some attention to the details of the existing accommodations.

Staff were generally very friendly. The food was very good and there was lots of variety -- even Vegetarian options (although every single menu had substitutions). The drinks were great and there was no cheap or watery versions of anything. The views and location were spectacular (directly opposite Isla Chora) and I highly recommend taking a stroll down to the town of Samara along the beach (approximately 30 minutes to an hour depending on how many shells you snag along the way!). The gardens were lush and I loved watching the Iguanas darting about. The pool was very clean and I liked the waterfall area the most. I enjoyed the lack of guests and crowds but my husband would have preferred it to be a bit "livelier".

Room Tip: The views from the Beach Villas are lovely. There are even wild horses to be spotted grazing on the beach side grasses.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple