“Wonderful LOCAL seafood restaurant experience!”

Pescaderia Mar Azul
Ranked #16 of 124 Restaurants in Playas del Coco
Description: Sea Food Restaurant & Pescaderia. lo mejor del Mar a su paladar.
Description: Sea Food Restaurant & Pescaderia. lo mejor del Mar a su paladar.
Reviewed 28 September 2018 via mobile

It’s right off of Coco beach. It was recommended by our concierge and slightly off of the beaten path. We were greeted and seated immediately. Drink orders were taken within minutes. The restaurant is quite unique as it has a fully visible kitchen and cooler showing the days’ catch. My mother-in-law and I got up to check out the cooler and we were soon encountered and greeted by the owner. He explained the concept and how the fish in the cooler was caught same day, and how the kitchen was fully visible because he found it off putting for his food to come from behind a door where nothing could be seen. He wanted his customers to experience the fresh ingredients and know that the food was being cooked to their preference.

Our group ordered the shrimp appetizer to start. My father-in-law and I ordered the shrimp stuff lobster (the daily special) and two of our other companions had the sesame encrusted tuna salad and mahi mahi. The lobster came out and it was huge, delicious and savory. Every dish was delicious, in fact, everything we ordered was delicious. It had a friendly atmosphere with local flair.

I 100% recommend this restaurant as everything was great!

2  Thank Nicolas R

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were looking for a good restaurant for dinner during our stay.

Most restaurants in the area have great beach views, but the the food reviews were mediocre.

I found this place with all excellent reviews and they were all right! Our meal was amazing + the service was great.

Our meal was so delicious we had to personally tell the chef as we left!

Mar Azul is a must when visiting Guanacaste.

1  Thank brittney b
Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

What a fantastic seafood restaurant in Playa del Coco!
We actually ate there 4 times in our stay in Coco.....the food was that good.We enjoyed fish many different ways ...grilled blacked and the amazing panco crusted fish ....all delicious!!
They also have great sides to go with the fish ....loved their rice ...not your ordinary rice by any means ....cooked in a fantastic seafood stock...to die for !!
Don’t miss this restaurant when in Coco !!

1  Thank Lynn C
Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

My husband and I were looking for a place for a seafood dinner and we stumbled on this restaurant. It was not on the main drag, but on a side street. We drove by it twice in our golf cart before deciding to stop in to see what the menu was like. The owner met us at the door and showed us in and explained the menu and the specials of the day. That day they were featuring lobster, whole or two tails, and 5 of the largest prawns as a special...all for $45 US dollars including a beverage of choice (we chose a Chardonnay to go with our seafood). We could choose several ways of preparation and 2 sides with our meal. I chose to have my seafood blackened and my husband chose grilled with a meunière sauce.

I can’t remember a time when I ordered seafood and could hardly finish my meal because of the quantity of seafood on my plate! What a wonderful surprise!!!

The meal, service and presentation of our food was outstanding. The atmosphere, though, was that of a neighborhood restaurant. We were there for an early dinner, so ambience was not high on our list.

If you have the opportunity and want an excellent seafood dinner, I would highly recommend finding this restaurant! It’s worth the effort.

1  Thank Carolyn R
Reviewed 7 August 2018

My whole family loved this place, we were so welcomed and it felt like a really home-style place. We got the full experience with a multi-course shared plate meal and got to taste all their specialities: the octopus, snapper, delicious lobster tails, ceviche, and perfect margaritas. Highly recommend for great food and service.

1  Thank Olivia W