“my family memories were ruined here”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Conchal
Bahia de los Piratas
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I was born and raised in Costa Rica. Every year my family would go to the beach for the holidays. One place we always enjoyed was Pirates Bay. So after many years living in the States, I was anxious to go back to Guanacaste and re-visit the beaches my dad took us to as kids. On our recent trip to Guanacaste, we stayed in a villa at Pirates Bay. This place has been ruined by the foreigners that bought it. The villa we stayed in had a smell that would gag a maggot. Both the villa and the grounds are worn out and in bad shape. The Italian guy/owner managing this place is rude and obnoxious. We weren’t robbed but an Americans car was broken into while we were there –the robbers took their passports, wallets, and cell phones. We went to a local bar, and asked the locals what happened to this place. The beach is filthy dirty, the roads in and out were enough to jar a tooth loose- long story short, after hearing the disturbing stories from my fellow countryman we packed up and left. Fortunately the rest of the beaches I remember as being clean and fun are still that way-in fact some were better than I remembered. I will never go back to Pirates Bay-I prefer to remember the positive family memories from many years ago.There are many clean beaches and hotels in Costa Rica you to enjoy - skip this one.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. We went to the Flamingo Beach Resort. There is also a Westin but that was too m...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
15  Thank maria b

Reviewed 6 October 2012

Pitch a tent-better option than staying at this place. It rained and the roof leaked (roofs covered with plastic), the water was cut off (no shower and don’t drink the water-it came out of the faucet and into the toilet when it flowed-brown). We had scorpions and bats in the villa we rented – all for 200 dollars per night. Any beauty of the area was robbed by the rude employees and the raw sewage (and I mean raw) spilling out onto the beach from the restaurant (don’t go in the ocean here). I overheard the maids complaining they hadn’t been paid in two months. My wife and I paid thirty dollars for breakfast which consisted of coffee (begged for a re-fill) turtle eggs illegally taken off the beach (is what I was told) and a piece of something like sausage (didn’t ask). Worst place I have ever stayed in Central America-my kids couldnt wait to leave-dead frogs in the pool. Don’t do it!

Room Tip: this place ids for backpackers not families
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Jack R
Reviewed 21 July 2012

very beatiful beach in the middle of the nationals parks....looks on google heart.
a boat at service of the guests fishing every days for the restaurant fish food of the day.
at bahia de los piratas live two parrots who speak with you also monkeys iguanas and many other species .....realy realy paradise.
a very friendly enough to feel the warmth and culture of Costa Rica

Room Tip: rooms in the villa of Captain Morgan have the most beautiful view of costa rica
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2011

This hotel/resort has potential written all over it! If someone has money to buy this property and invest some time and money into it could have great rewards. As of now it is ran poorly. When I first got there I found myself wondering around there property not knowing where to check in and couldnt find anyone! Finally I found the owner who said my room wouldnt be ready for an hour! Gave me time to have a couple of drinks though. The road to get there is a 7km 4x4 road. It is very secluded, fantastic hotel if thats what your looking for. Rooms have great view and are a mall home. Mine was and 3 bedroom, 2 bath, could have slept 6 or 7 people easy. Food consisted of what they caught from the sea, but not too many choices.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Aaron B
Reviewed 25 September 2011

My family and I ate at this restaurant while visiting Bahia de los Piratas in Guanacaste. It took a very long time for us to get service while the people sitting at the other tables were getting service. We had to take the menus from other tables to start browsing the menu. Finally, they came to take our order and came back 30 minutes later to our table to tell us that the drinks we wanted were not available at the time. Other tables were getting service while we waited this half an hour. We ordered our food and after another half an hour the food came. Finally when the food came, it was cold and they had forgotten to prepare my husband's dish. The fact that all the other people were getting service and VIP treatment from the owner makes me believe that we were discriminated against because we are a local Costa Rican family. Do not go there!

Room Tip: Do not go there.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
#11 of 24 in Tamarindo
Guanacaste Lodge
Guanacaste Lodge
#3 of 7 in Playa Flamingo

Been to Bahia de los Piratas? Share your experiences!