See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Pitch a tent-better option than staying at this place. It rained and the roof leaked (roofs covered with plastic), the water was cut off (no shower and don’t drink the water-it came out of the faucet and into the toilet when it flowed-brown). We had scorpions and bats in the villa we rented – all for 200 dollars per night. Any beauty of the area was robbed by the rude employees and the raw sewage (and I mean raw) spilling out onto the beach from the restaurant (don’t go in the ocean here). I overheard the maids complaining they hadn’t been paid in two months. My wife and I paid thirty dollars for breakfast which consisted of coffee (begged for a re-fill) turtle eggs illegally taken off the beach (is what I was told) and a piece of something like sausage (didn’t ask). Worst place I have ever stayed in Central America-my kids couldnt wait to leave-dead frogs in the pool. Don’t do it!

Room Tip: this place ids for backpackers not families
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Jack R
Reviewed 21 July 2012

very beatiful beach in the middle of the nationals parks....looks on google heart.
a boat at service of the guests fishing every days for the restaurant fish food of the day.
at bahia de los piratas live two parrots who speak with you also monkeys iguanas and many other species .....realy realy paradise.
a very friendly enough to feel the warmth and culture of Costa Rica

Room Tip: rooms in the villa of Captain Morgan have the most beautiful view of costa rica
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2011

This hotel/resort has potential written all over it! If someone has money to buy this property and invest some time and money into it could have great rewards. As of now it is ran poorly. When I first got there I found myself wondering around there property not knowing where to check in and couldnt find anyone! Finally I found the owner who said my room wouldnt be ready for an hour! Gave me time to have a couple of drinks though. The road to get there is a 7km 4x4 road. It is very secluded, fantastic hotel if thats what your looking for. Rooms have great view and are a mall home. Mine was and 3 bedroom, 2 bath, could have slept 6 or 7 people easy. Food consisted of what they caught from the sea, but not too many choices.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Aaron B
Reviewed 25 September 2011

My family and I ate at this restaurant while visiting Bahia de los Piratas in Guanacaste. It took a very long time for us to get service while the people sitting at the other tables were getting service. We had to take the menus from other tables to start browsing the menu. Finally, they came to take our order and came back 30 minutes later to our table to tell us that the drinks we wanted were not available at the time. Other tables were getting service while we waited this half an hour. We ordered our food and after another half an hour the food came. Finally when the food came, it was cold and they had forgotten to prepare my husband's dish. The fact that all the other people were getting service and VIP treatment from the owner makes me believe that we were discriminated against because we are a local Costa Rican family. Do not go there!

Room Tip: Do not go there.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Pirringui
Reviewed 8 February 2008

Dec 2007 we stayed at Bahia de los Piratas.
Although the beach and the view were gorgeous, you have to be aware that this place is far from everything (45mn from Tamarindo due to the dirt roads).
I would not call this a hotel since they rent villas. I do not know how it got ranked but by no means it can compare to other four-star hotels we have been to: there is barely a reception, no service at all, no activities offered, nothing to do except to go to the beach … They did not offer any cocktail or wine at night for instance, they spoke no English.
Although the villa was clean, it was quite basic and did not have hot water or safe and on our first night there we WERE ROBBED!
We woke up and saw a kid who had entered the villa with a knife and took all our video/photo equipment. Now, this might be unfortunate and rare, but I have to say that on top of everything, the manager was neither helpful nor trying to make our stay better . He did not want to call the police and kept telling us he would try to arrange things by sending someone to talk to the kid... Of course, We left for another hotel and we never got our belongings back. When I spoke to the manager the last night and told him he had not been helpful, he became rude and hung up on me.

Needless to say I believe this is extremely unprofessional and does not reflect the service and attitude you would expect from a four-star hotel. .. I would not recommend that place.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank NewYorkTravelfan