Hotel Rancho Humo Estancia(Nicoya)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$143
US$54
US$44
  • Pool
US$96
Hotel Dona Marta(Nicoya)(Great Value!)
US$68
  • Pool
Hotel Nicoya(Nicoya)(Great Value!)
US$84
TripAdvisor
All reviewssurf schooleasy walking distancewonderful locationg adventures tourcosta ricasupermarketbungalowsandkitchenjoseoceanaccommodationsants
Reviewed 29 February 2012

This hotel was great value, right on the beach. Everything you need for a great weekend. Sun, surf, hammock, and a sushi bar next door.

Room Tip: On the beach, wifi.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Eleanore2012
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Chilling in a hammock directly at the ocean, in the shadow of big palm trees, walking to a surfschool in 10 seconds, to a supermarket 30 mts. to get a cold beer. Comunal kitchen with a giant fridge. Where else do you have this? The prices of the rooms are really cheap considering this setting! The rooms look a bit worn and shabby, but they are cleaned very well every day. All the sand I carried into the room was removed every day. The people staying here are a nice mixture of open minded people. This is where I had the best time in Costa Rica! Staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Cheapest rooms I've seen that are on the beach ($25 per person)Short walk to restaurants/bars, bank, stores. Small rooms, but who wants to be in there room in CR anyway. Very friendly & helpful staff. Great lil place for the bargain adventurer.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Staghawk
A TripAdvisor Member
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 16 May 2006

We stayed at Casa Valeria for six nights. Wonderful location, beautiful garden with hammock, nice owners, really rude staff.
When we came back from breakfast after our first night, we noticed our room was just about to get cleaned; mop and bucket in front of the door. My husband has issues with artifical fragrances, pesticides and harsh cleaning chemicals. So I looked in the bucket and saw, among other things, two different kind of pesticides (the property is right on the ocean, during the rainy season everything is washed directly into the ocean!).

I asked Jose from the front desk to please not have our room cleaned. He acted insulted. I think he thought we had something to hide. After 3 days the lovely owner inquired why we don't want our room cleaned. My husband explained the issue and she instructed her cleaning person Sylvia to clean our room only with water. After that the cleaning person made a point to spray pesticides in the communal kitchen while we were cooking. She stopped saying "hi", came into the room to clean (with water) without knocking. One day, I was laying in one of the hammocks, a huge coco palm branch fell on my legs. One of my knees was badly swollen, the other bruised. Jose and Sylvia came out of the main house, whispered, pointed at me and smiled. On another day my husabnd wanted to make a phone call from the public pay phone by the front desk. When he picked up the receiver he heard the sound of a dial up modem. Jose looked up from his computer and asked annoyed:"Do you really need to make a phone call right now?).

I want to reiterate that the place is great and the owners lovely. Unfortunatly they left for vacation and after that the staff was almost unbearable (we were not alone with that opinion).
And the excessive use of pesticides, indoors, in eating areas, right on the ocean, in this time and age is simply irresponsible.

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 March 2006

Our stay at Casa Valeria was so enjoyable that after leaving to go Nosara for 2 nights, we came back to Valeria! The cabins are literally steps from the beach. The black guard dog has been replaced by 2 small Lhasa Apso type dogs. The communal (shared) kitchen works very well, & the coffee (delicious) is on all day, free of charge. Since the cabins are so close to the beach it is strongly advised to keep the cabin doors locked when you're not in the cabin. All in all, we loved it here.

• Stayed: January 2006