Hotel Tamarindo Diria(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
US$183
US$177
Bookit.com
El Mangroove, Autograph Collection(Playa Panama)(Great Value!)
US$389
US$349
Autograph
Free cancellation until 02/08
US$349
  • Pool
Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa(Playa Flamingo)(Great Value!)
US$157
US$152
Bookit.com
  • Pool
Blue River Resort & Hot Springs(Rincon de La Vieja)
US$177
US$418
Rio Perdido(Bagaces)
US$328
Hotels.com
Hotel Paraiso del Cocodrilo(Playa Samara)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$67
Occidental Papagayo - Adults only(Gulf of Papagayo)(Great Value!)
US$221
US$196
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$243/night.

US$932
US$781
Cancelon
All reviewsprivate beachla cruzel joboevery mealevery morningcosta ricawatch the sunsettennis courtswelcome centerhomemade salsawhite water tubingmaster bedroomminute drivefelt very safefamily vacationneeded anythinglounge chairs
Reviewed 11 May 2010

My wife and i were looking for a vacation where we could just relax from the stressful world of work and kids in NY. Recreo provided us with everything we were looking for and it proved to be one of the very best vacations/locations we had ever been to.

We traveled with another couple and I would strongly recommend traveling with a group to Recreo. This location is remote and the accomodations/service are so good that you will be spending a lot of time in and around the resort.

1. Accomodations: We stayed in Villa 3 which was excellent. We enjoyed our private pool, A/C rooms and general decor of the villa. This was better than any hotel suite you could possibly stay.
2. Service: Attentive, polite, and wonderful. Every time we asked for something, it was done for us (laundry service, pool cleaning, A/C repair, food prep,).
3. Food: The best food we've ever had on a vacation EVER. Shondra was our cook and every meal was better than the one prior. If you love plantains, she has many different ways to prepare them and they were phenomenal. Our group was not big on Breakfast but the fresh fruit and egg dishes were so appetizing, she turned us all into fans of breakfast. We weren't big dessert eaters but the flan she prepared was extraordinary. I only wish we would have asked for more guacamole on the trip. On the last day, she prepared the fish we caught on our excursion and it was remarkable.
4. Excursions: Take a full day to go on the ziplining combo trip. Its an hour drive but a full day of horseback riding, tubing, ziplining is unbelievable. While you go zip lining make sure you hang upside down every chance you get - its amazing. At the end of the excursion, you can take a quick sauna / mudbath / hot springs refresher before heading back to Recreo. We also did a 2 hour fishing excursion which is also a must. I forgot the names of our local fisherman who took us out but the were great. We caught 8 different fish over the first hour. We kept enough fish to eat but gave our crew the rest - they were very grateful. We spent the next 40 minutes snorkeling and were treated to a dolphin sighting (apparently this is rare). Just a relaxing day on the boat
5. Alcohol: If you are picky about your wines like my wife, then stop at the brand new wine shop right outside the LIberia Airport. The selection was great and my wife was very content. If you are flying from the states, stop at Duty Free for any liquor you think you'll want but let Recro supply the beer. Its reasonably priced and just nice to walk into a cooler full of beer.
6. Beach - Its essentially a private beach and Recreo has a trailer full of chairs and boogey boards. If you are looking to lounge out on the beach and do nothing, there is not a better place to do it than this private oasis.
7. Issues: The only negative is the bug situation. There are a lot of bugs that come out at night and we knew that going in so we prepared accordingly with bug spray. As long as you are aware of the bugs, pay close attention to keep doors completely closed and using bug spray, these critters will not become an issue. Once we had a few cocktails each night, it was like the bugs weren't even there.
8. Activities around Recreo: They didn't have enough snorkels and you might want to bring your own anyway. The tennis courts and work out room were perfect. If you are a serious tennis player, bring your own racket but it was a perfect workout each morning for my wife and I. If you have the chance, check out some of the unoccupied villas. Each one is stunning and its a great time. Hilltop Cantina - We didn't enjoy this as much as we should have but pack the cooler and head up there for a couple of drinks and cocktails. Golf Carts - If available, get a golf cart, it makes life easy around the resort.
9. My favorite moment. On our third night, we sat outside under a covering during a Thunder and LIghtning rain storm. The sky would light up every few seconds and it was incredibly peaceful. I sat with a beer in one hand, a cigar in the other and surrounded by my wife and great friends, laughing and telling stories while the rain pored down and the thunder and lightning played in the background. It was the perfect trip
10. If there are other guests around, be friendly and make new friends. Our first day, we met a group of 5 canadians on the beach. That evening we took the golf cart a 6 pack to their villa and enjoyed 2-3 hours of good fun and conversation. We spent some time with them on the beach the next day but then they were off to a surfing adventure.
Finally, wear sun screen and bug spray. The sun is very strong and my wife got burned pretty bad on day 1 and while it didn't mess with our vacation, it was painful for her.
I'm already looking forward to my return trip to Recreo.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anthonynap
Reviewed 2 May 2010

From the very first contact to the very last goodbye and everything in-between recreo offers a mind blowing experience.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MariaTF
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Upon arriving at villa#10, we had a difficult time choosing our rooms as each room was better than the next! I was lucky enough to wake up every morning to spectacular sunrises! The house was perfect for us.....myself and three couples. Every morning we had a breakfast of very fresh local fruits...pineapple, mango, papaya...and an assorment of delicious treats. We sat every night on the portico and played games and enjoyed each other's company.
The beach was quiet and pristine. The men went fishing while the ladies read or looked for seashells along the shore.
A wonderful place to go with family or friends. A beautiful home with views from everywhere. Friendly help that you hardly knew were there.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank cookie813
Reviewed 23 March 2010

If you are looking for a place with night life, paved roads, comfortable beds, access to alcohol that tastes good and is not overly priced, and proximity to anything do not come here!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lennynynyny
recreo, Manager at Recreo, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2010

At Recreo, we are proud of our remote and very private location surrounded by beaches, national parks and forests with only a few traditional small towns in the nearby vicinity which affords our guests the opportunity to truly immerse themselves in the beauty of the natural surroundings and to experience the true Costa Rica. It is not unusual for guests to find themselves alone on one of the beautiful white sand beaches that surround the Recreo mountain. Included with each villa at Recreo is a private chef preparing all meals but there are a few local restaurants near to Recreo that serve traditional Costa Rican type meals and are a nice option if guests would like to get a taste for the local atmosphere. But mostly, Recreo is for the guest who wants to experience the beauty of Costa Rica, untouched and responsibly developed, while still being pampered in the privacy of their own villa retreat. So if you are looking for nightlife, Recreo will not be a good fit for your vacation. But if you are looking for peace, privacy and relaxation along with a little adventure and a lot of nature thrown in, then Recreo is the place for you.

Reviewed 12 March 2010

Before booking my trip to Recreo i was amazed that 99.9% of the reviews were EXCELLENT. I figured that the reviews were generated by people connected to the resort, so I was excited, but skeptical about whether it would live up to the rave reviews. Now that my trip is over I have to say that it actually exceeded my expectations!!! This place is in fact for real and more beautiful than it looks in the photos. The only reason I gave the location 4 of 5 stars is because of its remoteness to any of the excursions but at the same time it is really nice to be in a very remote setting.

That being said, we did one excursion to a hot spring spa with canopy tour and dinner. It happened to be the shortest travel distance but was also very highly recommended (aprox 1:15 each way). The place was also a farm so all the food was grown or raised on premises. It was just us and another couple from the resort so we got a very private tour of the farm which was very unique.

We spent 7 nights at villa #3 and found so much to do that we actually ran out of time. The SCUBA with Frank was fantastic, Kite Surfing lessons with Bob were a real highlight for me, and the horseback riding with Raul was unlike any horseback riding you have ever done before. Our chef Cliché was unreal! Even with his minimal English and our minimal Spanish we had a lot of fun. The food was amazing, by far the best food I have ever had at an all-inclusive. Aside from the 3 main meals, he made sure our cooler was always packed with snacks & drinks to bring to the beach, scuba, kite surfing, etc.. and whenever we were back at the villa he had fresh guacamole and Pico de Gallo. Ricardo, took care of arranging all of our daily activities and did most of the cart driving. He also made sure to coordinate with the chef about our schedule and food preferences to make sure there were no misunderstandings. Just for the record, we think villa #3 is the best.. I am sure what ever villa you have will be the best too!

There have been some changes to be aware of:
1)Alcohol is no longer included in the all inclusive rate. However, the prices for alcohol are reasonable and if you use their transport they will stop at the liquor store for you to get your own.
2)A private golf cart is not included in the price anymore. Although we were aware of this change we were told that we would be chauffeured via golf cart and that most people preferred this. The very first thing that we were told upon arrival is that we could rent the golf cart for $40 per day or $240 for the week. We opted out of getting the cart for spite. For the most part the chauffeured cart service was acceptable but there were a few times that I felt a little stranded and wished I had gotten the cart for the week. So I would just factor that extra cost in.
3)Apparently the snorkel masks were lost at sea. They really need to replace them already. If you have your own, bing'em, the snorkeling is really nice right off the beach.

Final Notes:
If you wanted to be thrifty I would highly recommend renting a compact SUV! That is what I will do on my next visit. The only down side is navigation is up to you and I could not find any GPS software for Costa Rica but with so few roads it is not so hard. We planned to use the mountian bikes alot but the gravel roads are VERY bumpy and the hill to get back to most of the villas will destroy you. Recreo allows you to be as lazy or adventurous as you want. This was one of my favorite vacations ever!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple