“Interesting if you are a "plant person", or birder”

Center for Tropical Agricultural Research and Education (CATIE)
Reviewed 13 February 2014

For us it was a glimpse into old Costa Rica. It doesn't look like much has changed there visibly since my last visit 35 years ago. You will definitely want to arrange to have a guided tour. Is it worth the bucks? ..I say yes if you like the idea of supporting horticultural and agricultural research or the grad students themselves (I don't know how the guide fee is processed, hope the guide keeps it) . This guided tour is low on the excitement scale but good for people interested in what they do at CATIE.
A special part is the close viewing of the exotic oropendola birds who make hanging, swinging nests...google it.

2  Thank LittleLagoon

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I was very excited to visit the botanical gardens at CATIE as part of our Eco Tour. I am a biology teacher and find this kind of facility very informative, but unfortunately, when we arrived there was no one there to give us our tour! Swiss Travel tour guide José was able to tell us what he knew, but I was very disappointed to not have the full experience.
The gardens were lovely, and there were lots of birds to be seen and heard, but without explanations from a CATIE staff member, the experience wasn't what I had expected.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I went to the Garden of CATIE with my wife and two friends, and we had a naturalist conduct a tour which made the place come alive and was very interesting. There is a lot in a small space and the total walking distance is about a half mile on level ground. Entry fee is $10. One of the leading tropical research centers in Latin America is on adjacent property.

This is a beautiful place and provides a great overview of the botany of the country.

If this review is helpful then please indicate so below.

3  Thank Trek-Always
Reviewed 13 October 2013

You can stroll through the acres and acres of fruiting trees and flowers and orchids and learn about the research that impacts our world related to agriculture. Highly recommended if you are interested in the Botanical world.

1  Thank lovetotravel33176
Reviewed 20 June 2013

CATIE's got a most beautiful campus, with a view of the Turrialba Volcano. The main building was built in the '40s and looks a lot like a big 'hacienda'. There is a large pond with lots of white birds that look like herons. The botanical garden is worth visiting.

1  Thank Palasatenea

Travellers who viewed Center for Tropical Agricultural Research and Education (CATIE) also viewed

Turrialba, Province of Cartago

Cartago, Province of Cartago

Been to Center for Tropical Agricultural Research and Education (CATIE)? Share your experiences!