All reviews private waterfall horseback ride to the waterfall hobbit house heliconia house lava lizard farm chores steve and deb zip lining fresh milk costa rica collecting eggs arenal volcano milking cows gathering eggs riding horses farm to table every morning
Reviewed 2 June 2018

I stayed in the Congo Lodge during my visit. I was initially skeptical about not having air conditioning but was pleasantly surprised to find that it was not necessary. There were two ceiling fans, cross ventilating windows and an extra fan if necessary. We also had the option of opening two doors to allow extra air flow. I loved getting up early and enjoying coffee on the deck while listening to the birds and enjoying the view of the volcano. My absolute favorite though was the outdoor shower. Showering while looking and listening to nature was so calming and peaceful while completely private.

The Eponicity Program was first rate! I was able to feel comfortable around the horses and learn a few things about myself. I actually chose to horseback ride to a waterfall on my free day. The owners and staff are very friendly and willing to do anything within their power to make our stay the wonderful experience it was. Coordinating with our guide from the Hanging Bridges they even managed to retrieve my water bottle and walking stick. I would absolutely come back to Leaves and Lizards although the next time I stay I plan to spend more time in the infinity pool relaxing and enjoying the ever changing views of Arenal.

Room Tip: All of the rooms at this quiet retreat have excellent views of Volcano Arenal.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Debbie L, Owner at Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2018

Thank you, Lynne, for taking the time to write these beautiful words! It is a pleasure to have you here with us! Nature is amazing and our cabins provide the surroundings to connect back with nature. One of the reasons we do not have a/c in most units is to help bring the sounds and smells and feel of the outside in! Pura Vida!

Reviewed 22 May 2018

Friends of mine had been here before and declared how wonderful and special of an experience it was. Never in my wildest dreams could I have known the beauty and tranquility that descended upon my whole being until I was there myself. I went for a retreat to be with and ride horses for the first time in my life. I was astounded with how easily and comfortably I took to the atmosphere of the place itself and the jungle. The moment I was brought to my cabin I couldn't contain my excitement at the fairy tale surroundings. It could have been 500 years ago, as the nature looked untouched and the sounds were unlike anything I had heard before. To wake up and glimpse the stunning Arenal volcano was a joy unto itself. To be somewhere and not have to worry about anything, I was able to enjoy my time in Costa Rica more than if I had to think about my day anywhere else. I also have dietary restrictions, and was more than pleased with the delicious variety of food and the lack of judgment to accommodate me.
I felt safe and cared for by the owners and staff. All of my needs were met with open arms. It was lovely leaving my hectic city life for a place that replenished my soul, and mental well-being. I came away from this trip with tools and ideas to progress me in my never ending existential dilemma of being a human being on this planet. I will never forget the week I spent, and am leaving with lifelong connections that I'm so grateful to have.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank PhoebeHelaina
Debbie L, Owner at Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2018

Dear Phoebe, such beautiful words! The land here holds us, and helps us humans to plug back into nature, into the space where we can be recharged and connect back into nature. It was a pleasure to meet you!
Pura Vida

Reviewed 11 May 2018

I did not know what I was getting myself into, but sometimes we have to listen to that inner voice...

I am so glad that I make the decision to visit Leaves and Lizards as it was an amazing experience. Everything is well thought starting from the room, the view, the food and the activities.

I also did a retreat and I would recommend it to anyone that would like to make some time for themselves. I just came back couple days ago and I am still processing as the feeling that lies within is « What the hell just happened?! ». This was meaningful in a way that my brain cannot figure it out by itself as it goes beyond that... I will have to let time do the trick and I will have to accept that most of what I have experienced, learned and integrate will not be understood by my left brain and this is perfect as we only need the lessons, right ?! ;)

Thanks to Debbie, Sally, Danielle and the horses for their open heart, kindness and to have held spaces to make it an amazing experience.

Thanks also to all the welcoming staff, Enrique, Ronald, Florencio, Juan, Alejandro, Andrei and all the others ones that their names slip my mind for now.

A special thank you to Leila for the wonderful documentary «  Freedom tracks » that make me want to experience this and thanks for the amazing pictures. Thanks to Monica the yoga instructor for her amazing sessions that were right on for anything I needed to experience. And thanks to Kelly for being so passionate about permaculture and to take time to grow organic food.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank mireillec27
Debbie L, Owner at Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2018

Dear Mireille, it was such a pleasure to have you come to our Horse and Soul Retreat! Sharing the special gifts that horses can bring to humans is a such a pleasure and a privilege for us. Thank you for taking the time to write this beautiful review...pura vida.

Reviewed 9 May 2018

There is so much that can be said about this place and the ability to really shape your stay in way that is most meaningful to you. You can design a week that is full of self-care and relaxation. Eating wonderful food and lounging by the pool. Or you can challenge yourself to see and experience new things. Being open to Costa Rica and all the beauty it has to offer. The people are incredibly kind and generous. I would highly recommend Leaves and Lizards for families, couples, or even as a single or friend's getaway.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Debbie L, Owner at Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, it means so much to us to be able to provide memorable experiences for our guests. Muchas Gracias!

Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

I cannot say enough about this incredible retreat. It is so relaxing and gorgeous. The food is prepared with fresh items grown on the property. Everyone is so friendly and laid back. The cabins are clean and beautiful with magnificent views of Arenal volcano and the countryside. The rainy times didnt matter at all. Nice to completely disconnect from the everyday craziness of life at home. I could go on and on! Im actually considering buying a house right on the property. Cant think of a better place to be. So looking forward to going back. Thanks to everyone there for a whole new perspective on life. Pura vida!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank semmsw
Debbie L, Owner at Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2018

Wow, S.! Thank you for your kind words and amazing review. It means so much to us to have created a space for people to feel so connected and part of something...and that is surely a welcome feeling for people.
Muchas gracias, and hasta pronto!