“Nice Bikeride to El Castillo”
Review of Bike Arenal

Bike Arenal
Book In Advance
More Info
US$75.00*
and up
Arenal Volcano to El Castillo Bike Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Bike Arenal is Costa Rica’s leading Bike Tour and Multisport Tour Operator. Located in La Fortuna, near Arenal Volcano we offer multi-day bike tours including accommodations and meals. Visit active volcanoes, rainforests, waterfalls, small rural villages and tropical beaches. Multisport Itineraries include biking, white water rafting, rainforest hikes, zip lines, surf lessons and more.Custom designed Adventure Holidays and Active Family Vacations.One-day mountain Bike Tours in Arenal Volcano and Arenal Lake.
Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

I can recommend this tour and bike arenal to everyone who wants to make a biketour in this region. Alejandro and his Staff are very friendly and on the Tour to El Castillo, he explained also a little bit about the Volcano and the surrounding. About the ride: I think it's really possible to do for everyone who is a little bit sporty, so the road is mostly flat (but bumpy). If you're expecting a uphill/downhill-ride, you better go to the shop and to alejandro himself! He will give you the best pura-vida-bike experience in arenal area!

1  Thank Emanuel C
"nice ride"
"great workout"

Reviewed 28 July 2017

Highpoint of my trip!
Alejandro and company are all bike enthusiasts like myself that understand what a real bike tour should be. From high end bikes to exceptional customer service - this is the place to launch an Arenal trip.
I contacted them last minute, they were very accommodating with scheduling and so much fun I went out with them twice (and they sent me pictures/videos of my day before I was back to the hotel!).
Made me feel like I was with my riding friends at home. Great business and even better people.

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

My teenage son races mountain bikes. We were driving back from the waterfall when my son spotted a couple of their mountain bikes outside the shop. He was excited to see nice rental bikes. A bike tour was not in our plans but after talking to Alajandro we were booked for an all day bike tour for three.
My son was happy with the bikes he saw at first but was elated to see the upgraded bikes. He kept going on about the types of components which I have no idea about.
The bike was also perfectly fitted to my 9 year old daughter.
The weather was not in our favor at all. We biked in torrential down pours for 15 miles. Knowing the support vehicle was behind us make it so much better. I was worried my 9 year old would call it quits after 2 miles but did all 15. We even had a picnic lunch at the half-way point.
When we had biked enough, we jumped into the dry truck and headed back. We opted to change into dry clothes prior to a delicious lunch.
Alajandro was amazing. He answered my questions and planned well to handle my concerns about my young daughter. We can't wait to bring my husband back to bike ride with these guys.

1  Thank sunnysal
Reviewed 9 July 2017

I was in Costa Rica in a guided tour group and had booked this day tour through Desafio Adventure Company. I mention that because I don't know how Desafio handles their tours as far as sourcing through third-party companies. As such, I will use this review to describe my experience of the actual trip and not booking/arranging pickup.

I booked this mountain bike trip as a solo person, and there was another group of 5 that were also booked. At the last minute that group canceled and, because I had already paid, Desafio honored my reservations and I was lucky enough to get a solo tour with Bike Arenal.

I was picked up in a car with Alejandro and another guide (can't remember his name!) and from the start they were both extremely friendly and personable. I felt at ease and knew I was in for a great ride. When I got my bike they made sure the height was good and that my helmet fit well. I also got a pair of gloves and a water bottle (to keep). The only thing I forgot to bring were my bike shorts!

Because I was alone, I had more leeway with where to ride and how long to ride for. I started right outside of town and rode to Castillo and then to the Arenal dam and then back to where we started. When the guides gave me the opportunity to do a bit longer ride because I was alone, I jumped at it. In total it was only about 20 miles, but for someone who lives in the city, being on a mountain bike going over some rough roads, it was challenging. However, this is totally dependent on your skill level. I ride my mountain bike and road bike back home in NYC. I ride over bridges and up small hills, but the rough road makes it much harder. Yet, I loved getting a workout and being motivated by both Alejandro and my guide.

During the trip, Alejandro drove along with us in the car and would go ahead or stay back and get some great photos of me. When it was time to stop for our snack, I was blown away by the array of things to eat and how nicely it was laid out in the back of the car.

Not only did I learn things about the area in which I rode around (like why it's called La Fortuna), but both gentleman really put a lot of effort to make sure I had a great time, even if I was one person. They also made sure I was safe, went at my own pace and stopped whenever I needed. I would certainly recommend this company for anyone visiting La Fortuna/Arenal.